Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Motorbike and sidecar

Motorbike and sidecar

Motorbike and sidecar

Postby khkate » 17 Aug 2019 09:23

Harry and I have done motorbike and sidecar excursions a couple of times now when visiting Funchal in Madeira in October 2018. The first time it was booked through the ship, and was a 2-hour trip taking us along the east coast from Funchal - an area we had not done before. Booking through the ship, the 2-hour tour cost us £54 each. We thoroughly enjoyed and our guide, Filipe was also the owner of the company - Madeira Sidecar Tours. He took some photos of us during the tour and emailed them to me. We both enjoyed the tour so much that I made enquiries about doing a trip with him when we were revisiting the island in February 2019.

It turned out that Saga were no longer offering the chance for this type of tour, so II emailed Filipe and requested a privately-arranged tour. We wanted to do a 3-hour trip this time and he suggested doing the nuns Valley - which we agreed. We have done a coach tour that went to the viewpoint that overlooks the Nuns Valley, but we had never actually gone into the valley. Arranging it privately, the 3-hour trip was actually cheaper - £45 each - and we had an amazing time. We actually got almost 4 hours as the weather was so beautiful and Filipe treated us to a coffee and pastry at a cafe within the Valley.

Anyway, having done two such excursions, when researching options for our forthcoming visit to Bordeaux, my interest was sparked by the fact that there was a motorbike and sidecar excursion available here too. Thus, I emailed the company - Retro Tours Bordeaux and a lovely chap called Alexandre came back with details of the tours.

There was a city tour but it was just 44 minutes, thus a bit short for us and the next one was 1.5 hours - more of what we wanted, but we wanted 2 hours. There were longer options available, but the prices were quite expensive in relation to what we had paid in Funchal. However, in the end, I negotiated a personalised tour of 2 hours and this is going to include some tasting of cannele and dune blanche (not wine but local pastries) for £75 each.

so we are booked to do this in Bordeaux at the beginning of October when we call there on the new Saga ship, Spirit of Discovery. We get two full days in the city and have booked the trip for the first day - and Alexandre will collect us from the ship! so looking forward to doing this experience - as I wrote in my email - our previous tour of the city was from a coach, so limited as to where the vehicle could go.
CRUISES BOOKED:
Spirit of Discovery - Oct 2019, Feb 2020, April 2020, August 2020, Dec 2020
Spirit of Adventure - September 2020
khkate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Motorbike and sidecar

Postby Gillzajoker » 17 Aug 2019 10:27

Sounds a great trip, Lesley! :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Motorbike and sidecar

Postby grannyM » 17 Aug 2019 12:18

Wow! I do envy your spirit of adventure Lesley. :thumbup:

Glad you got what you wanted and I'm sure you will both have a great excursion in Bordeaux. :)
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Re: Motorbike and sidecar

Postby Meg50 » 17 Aug 2019 12:46

we overnighted in Bordeaux a few years ago - it was brill.

Among other things I remember the tidal changes meant at one point the gangway was almost vertical!
Meg
Meg50
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Motorbike and sidecar

Postby bobbyoscar » 17 Aug 2019 13:18

I am sure you will have a lovely time Lesley :thumbup:
Cruises booked:
September 2019 -
P & O Azura - Malaga -Messina - Piraeus - Mykonos- Santorini - Katakolon - Gibraltar
June 2020 Celebrity Silhouette - Bergen - Geiranger - Flam - Stavanger
Sept 2020 Celebrity Silhouette - Madeira - Tenerife - Las Palmas - Lisbon- Porto- Vigo
bobbyoscar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Re: Motorbike and sidecar

Postby hazel20 » 18 Aug 2019 08:15

That sounds really good - look forward to the photos!
http://www.hazeljgriffiths.net

Future Lecture Cruises:
Saga Sapphire - Christmas
2020 - Saga Sapphire Caribbean
2020 - Saga Sapphire Farewell
2020 - Black Watch - Four Freds in Funchal
2020 - Balmoral - USA in the Fall
hazel20
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
Wales

Motorbike and sidecar

Postby judgegeoff » 18 Aug 2019 11:40

When we were on holiday in Cape Town we were offered a tour of the City in this vintage motorcycle and sidecar, but chickened out and opted for the hop-on/hop-off buses. However, we are returning there next year, so might well give it a try. :)

Geoff

Booked cruise :- "MSC Orchestra" - Cape Town to Venice 2020
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Return to Europe