Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Lucca

Lucca

Lucca

Postby avidcruiser » 14 Oct 2019 00:58

If you have done Rome, as I have many times and also as a holiday years ago, a very good alternative from Civitavecchia is a short trip to Lucca. (My booked excursion was cancelled at very short notice... disappointing.) Had done the taste of Tuscania tour before, brilliant, but did not want to repeat that this time... too many memories to do it again.

An old walled city with narrow streets and tall old buildings, no need to shelter from the hot sun here!

A delightful square where I sat with a cold drink and and listened to classical music being played. Just perfect.

You can even catch a glimpse, in the distance, of Pisa's leaning tower along the way.

First solo cruise recently on Britannia. I knew I would not care for the size of the ship,(chose it because my OH and I had never sailed on it),nor that my balcony cabin was not at the edge of the ship but recessed with a view of part of deck 7 below. Nevertheless I did like all that Britannia had to offer inside, albeit it was a big hike to get there!! Lift down, walk across deck 7, lift down again, and all to get to a quiz in Brodie's! Lifts necessary for even one flight of stairs as I went away with a strapped up knee, painkillers and a walking stick. Oh joy.

Highlight was Lucca as I had been to all the other ports, and also an evening in the Limelight Club for an Eric and Ern tribute act which was brilliant.

I wouldn't sail on Britannia again but I do see the attraction. Spoke to quite a few first time cruisers who also did not like the ship but I suggested they try a smaller ship, and not write off future cruising. Also chatted to some repeat Britannia cruisers, but they had not been on any other ship. The jury is out on my little questionnaire. :think:

Apologies that this has turned into a short ship review as well as a port destination.

Well, I've done my first solo cruise and it was difficult at times, many times, but it's now under my belt after much persuasion from my daughters and many times saying that I wasn't going, especially the day before when I actually started to unpack. Just 3 years since poor health stopped my husband and me cruising but I have many happy memories to hold on to.
All my posts and photos are COPYRIGHTED!!

"I have a little shadow that goes in and out with me!"
KEEP CALM AND CRUISE ON

avidcruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Wales

Re: Lucca

Postby rdw123 » 14 Oct 2019 07:13

Well done. You have done it once now, it gets easier. Where to next?
rdw123
Commander
Commander

Lucca

Postby judgegeoff » 14 Oct 2019 08:23

Well done, many thanks for sharing your recent 'Britannia' cruise experience with us. :clap: :clap:

My wife Chris and I visited Lucca whilst on an 'Independence of the Seas' Mediterranean cruise in 2011 and found it to be an enchanting walled town. As you say, the narrow cobbled streets and tall (but very old) buildings mean that it is a very shady place. We stopped for refreshments at a cafe in an unusual oval shaped 'square' which we discovered was the Piazza Dell'Anfiteatro and had originally been the site of a Roman amphitheatre. The famous opera composer Puccini was born in Lucca in 1858. As you say, a very good place to visit if you have already visited Rome and Pisa.

The oval shaped 'square'.

Statue of Puccini in Lucca.
Geoff

Booked cruise :-
"Marella Dream" - Turkey, Greece and Israel 2019
"MSC Orchestra" - Cape Town to Venice 2020
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Lucca

Postby Dave » 14 Oct 2019 14:34

Thanks for that Avid. I'd not heard of Lucca before - it sounds worth visiting. :thumbup:
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Lucca

Postby Gillzajoker » 15 Oct 2019 10:33

Dave wrote:Thanks for that Avid. I'd not heard of Lucca before - it sounds worth visiting. :thumbup:

Me neither, and yes it does! :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby avidcruiser » 15 Oct 2019 22:31

Just a short 45 minute coach ride from the port. A nice relaxing tour with a taste of the real Italy, and not many tourists.

No further plans right now rdw123.
All my posts and photos are COPYRIGHTED!!

"I have a little shadow that goes in and out with me!"
KEEP CALM AND CRUISE ON

avidcruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Wales

Postby Camela » 18 Oct 2019 18:29

The cruise must have been difficult but you took your daughters' advice and did it so next one will be easier. We went to Lucca 2 years ago but I've lost my notes on the excursion and see that I didn't review the cruise so can't get my observations from there. I know we had photos next to Puccini! Also a connection to Pinocchio as I bought the grandchildren aprons with him on. I know we enjoyed the trip.
"Won't you let me take you on a sea cruise"
Camela
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
England

Return to Europe