Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - New York - What to do

New York - What to do

New York - What to do

Postby Wansbrough » 27 Nov 2011 17:04

This thread is not for Dave and Fred so when I know they have left the room I will begin....... :roll:

Have they gone?????

We have never visited the city itself and will have two nights in New York prior to a cruise in March and are looking for ideas of what to do. We cruised from Bayonne last November but didn't actually have the time to explore on that occasion, our hotel was in Newark which is quite a way outside the city itself. Plus we were very tired after the flight over.

We basically will have the first evening, then a full day plus however long we get prior to boarding on the day of the cruise.

So any suggestions would be very welcome. :D Image
Wansbrough
Bar Steward
Bar Steward

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: New York - What to do

Postby Mungo » 27 Nov 2011 17:28

I've done a 2 night pre cruise stay as well as a week's stay in NY. So much to see and do.

I would suggest a "tour" of some sort. There are Hop On Hop Off buses........... this would give you a chance to stop off at various points you're interested in. There are a variety of "loops" you can do. Or there are a variety of harbour or circular cruises where you'll see the Statue of Liberty and the Manhattan Skyline.......or try a Duck Tour. :D

Be prepared for long lines at The Empire State Building.......... I preferred the Rockefellar Top of The Rock. Of course Times Square at night shouldn't be missed.

Whatever you do.............enjoy! :D
Iona July 2020
Arcadia December 2020
Britannia March 2021
Columbus May 2021
Mungo
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby JollyJill » 27 Nov 2011 18:43

I love New York and have been there 4 times- so far.

If you don't fancy a HoHo bus tour (the traffic in Manhattan is always chronic), then make good use of the subway as I have always found it's the quickest way to get around.

Time is precious so plan your days/evening with precision.
As Mungo says, the Empire State is worth visiting- I guess I must have been lucky because I have been to the top 3 times and have never queued for long. They also have a great 'ride' attraction in a theatre within the building.

On the first evening, you could make for Times Square and go to the Marriott Marquee revolving Observation bar where you can enjoy a 360 degree panoramic view of Manhattan whilst partaking a cocktail ot 2. Or you could eat in Ellen's Stardust diner on the junction of West 51st street and Broadway. It's a great place where all the waiting staff are Wannabe singers and take it in turns to entertain in between serving- the atmosphere is really something and the food is good too.
Alternatively, you could pre-book a Broadway show if that's your bag. I've seen Jersey Boys, Phantom of the Opera and 42nd St on Broadway and it's a great way to spend the evening.

During the day, you could do a Hudson River boat trip, a helicopter ride over the city, get the ferry from Battery Park to Staten Island (it's free) which will take you past the Statue of Liberty or altenatively a ferry to Ellis Island which is fascinating but time consuming and maybe left to another time.

If you fancy a walk in Central park, you could visit the Strawberry Fields monument to John Lennon, which is near the Dakota building where he lived. I wouldn't bother with the horse and carriage ride in the park as it's just a tourist trap and not worth the time and money-IMO. The Gugenheim museum is at the North East side of the park if that's to your liking.

A visit to Grand Central Station on 42nd is a must and can be reached by a subway shuttle from Times Square - you could even fit it in during the evening.

If you've got time for a look at the shops, then Maceys is on west 35th St - near the Empire State. Bloomingdales (on a par with John Lewis) can be found on East 59th St just east of the southern end of Central Park.

I'm going on a bit aren't I? Probably because I haven't been back for a few years and would love to.

If I can be of any more help just ask.

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Mungo » 27 Nov 2011 20:03

If you go to Macy's make sure you get an International visitors card for a 10% discount. :D there's also Bloomingdales and Tiffanys to browse in. ;)
Iona July 2020
Arcadia December 2020
Britannia March 2021
Columbus May 2021
Mungo
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Wansbrough » 28 Nov 2011 10:15

Thanks for the reply's, much appreciated. I know much comes down to personal preferences and we just want to get the most out of time there in the small window that we have.
One of the major stumbling blocks for us is Mrs W doesn't do heights :cry: so if I do the Empire State or Rockefeller it will be alone. I have heard it is better to do the later as you get a better view of the Empire State Building.

I like Jill's ideas for the first evening. :D
Wansbrough
Bar Steward
Bar Steward

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby dopeyngrumpy » 28 Nov 2011 11:03

And don't forget to drop in on the original Winnie the Pooh and friends at the New York Public Library (free) and Grand Central is also worth a walk around, pack your walking shoes - it's the best way to see a lot of the city

David
dopeyngrumpy
Commander
Commander

National Flag:
England

Postby Gerrym » 28 Nov 2011 15:46

I go to Manhattan just about every year (work). I always go down to Ground zero (lost a friend in the terrorist atrocities).

Now they have built a memorial and it is well worth a visit. You will need to get an advance vistor pass though @ http://www.911memorial.org/visit

I know it is a bit of a sombre thing to do (as opposed to all the fun things) but I think you will be glad you did.

Cheers

Gerry
Gerrym

Return to North America