Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Too many cruise/travel emails?

Too many cruise/travel emails?

An area for topics about more general cruise-related matters.

Postby Camela » 02 Dec 2017 19:30

Now I love travel and particularly cruising (why else would I be here?) but I now have brain fade when it comes to the amount of emails from cruise lines and travel companies. If I am busy I simply don't have the time to read them so may be missing out on fabulous offers! I won't unsubscribe but my gripe is that some just send out too many. To be fair the same goes for many other companies that I have bought from.
"Won't you let me take you on a sea cruise"
Camela
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
England

Postby judgegeoff » 02 Dec 2017 20:04

I am with you on this one Camela, but would add the ridiculous amount of cruise related brochures and offers that arrive via our letterbox. I don't believe that a single week has passed in the last few years without us receiving at least two from Fred. Olsen and the river cruise companies are not far behind. Some of them are very thick, printed on good quality paper and have clearly cost a fair amount to produce. I would be happy to swap all these brochures for an additional discount on the fares. :)

Last week I received a 2018 calendar from Viking, but I must say that I was a little disappointed with it. I was expecting vibrant pictures of their lovely ships and the ports they visit - but the new calendar has a picture of a meal course, together with its recipe on each page. Could do better Viking! :(
Geoff

Cruises Booked

"Quantum of the Seas" - China & Japan - Autumn 2018
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Too many cruise/travel emails?

Postby khkate » 02 Dec 2017 20:29

The only emails we get are from Saga when they are updating online documentation - so we know its available. QWe used to get piles of brochures from them on a weekly basis - but haven't had any for a good month or so, despite the fact they are advertising all over their website and FB about special offers. Actually, I wonder if that means some people may have slipped off their mailing lists - has happened before!

However, travel companies I haven't used for years seem to send me their brochures. Along with many catalogues and suchlike from other companies, they often just get binned!
Future Cruises - Baltics, Canaries Canada, Med, Scandinavia
khkate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Meg50 » 02 Dec 2017 20:49

but at the same time, the ones you'd expect - cos you haven't unsubscribed - eg P&O - don't arrive - even after you've lodged an official complaint!
Meg
Meg50
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby adogap » 02 Dec 2017 22:58

I receive a lot of junk emails from cruise companies and for some strange reason most of them arrive early on a Sunday morning :think:
Have to say Geoff, as cooking is my hobby, your calendar from Viking would really appeal!

Chris
Xmas, Queen Victoria, Dec. 2017
Baltic Cities, Balmoral, June 2018
Canada, Queen Mary 2, September 2018
adogap
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby tomvet » 02 Dec 2017 23:24

I dont get much via the post but I was getting so much stuff via email from companies from all walks of life that for any commercial transaction, I set up a dedicated email. It got to the stage that I was missing important emails as they were buried in a heap of marketting stuff that just gets deleted unopened.
April 2018 - Phoenix Reisen M/S Asara - Cologne - Amsterdam - Ijsselmeer - Hoorn - Rotterdam - Gorinchem - Arnheim - Cologne
October 18 - MSC Opera - Marseille - Mahon - Cagliari - Valetta - Messina - Naples - Genoa
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby Camela » 03 Dec 2017 00:56

I've now got an alternative email for use when I buy what I think will be a one off, only check it once a week so easy to delete most of the rubbish. Thing is for cruising I always give my main email address and therein hangs the problem. Oh well, 21st century first world problems?
"Won't you let me take you on a sea cruise"
Camela
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
England

Postby khkate » 03 Dec 2017 11:44

Meg50 wrote:but at the same time, the ones you'd expect - cos you haven't unsubscribed - eg P&O - don't arrive - even after you've lodged an official complaint!

:thumbup: :thumbup: fully agree - hence my surprise that no Saga brochures! We def have not unsubscribed from them>
Future Cruises - Baltics, Canaries Canada, Med, Scandinavia
khkate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Gillzajoker » 03 Dec 2017 12:09

I don't get any brochures through the post, although some would be welcome! I'm on the mailing list of probably 15 or 16 cruise TAs so receive lots of emails. However, as I am only interested in cruises from 19-32 days, I quickly scroll down and just check the number of days without reading anything else, and anything less is quickly deleted. But as all my cruises are booked from an email offer, I am prepared to tolerate excessive emails, otherwise I may miss a fantastic offer! :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain