Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Booking late is not always the cheapest

Booking late is not always the cheapest

An area for topics about more general cruise-related matters.

Postby bobbyoscar » 11 Apr 2018 09:37

grannyM wrote:
bobbyoscar wrote:
Mungo wrote: Perhaps in the future they'll extend their sailings and itineraries from Southampton. :think:

I do hope so, but from what I've read the sailings to the Baltic are v popular with Americans and Eclipse last year had over 50% Americans on board for every cruise to that area.

Perhaps not so popular for new bookings in light of current diplomatic tensions Glynis. :roll:

Hmm, lots of rather twitchy people, Brits as well as Americans, on a couple of the facebook forums I'm on. In all honesty I think I would be to, if we had been travelling to the Baltic this year.

Cruises booked:
October 2018 – P & O Oriana - Cadiz - Catania - Corigliano Calabro – Venice –Zadar - Dubrovnik - Kotor - Corfu - Gibraltar
February 2019 – P & O Aurora - Andalsnes – Tromso – Alta – Stavanger
September 2019 - P & O Azura - Malaga -Messina - Mykonos - Piraeus - Santorini - Katakolon - Gibraltar
bobbyoscar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Re: Booking late is not always the cheapest

Postby Peka » 16 Apr 2018 09:31

I think everyone else has pretty much said it and I agree. When to book is always tricky if it is your dream cruise you probably want to get straight in a book especially if you want a specific cabin. We have booked almost the first day and it has paid off and other times had bargain last minute cruises. There was one time when the price dropped an extra £100 pounds but then the cost of the flights would have risen by the same amount! You take your chances sometimes.

Completely agree about never discussing the cost on board! The worst time was during a Q&A session with the hotel manager on board. It was near the end of the session and one passenger in a full lounge asked the question "Why did I have to pay XXXX amount, the couple in the cabin next to me paid XXXX less and I'm a single passenger..." The sharp intake of breath from the rest of the passengers and the painful look on some peoples faces :lol: so awkward! The hotel manager handled it perfectly though.

I was reading the T&Cs on a Fred. advert the other day and part of their terms for the offer were that you cannot disclose to passengers on board how much you paid for your cruise!!

8 trips / 5 ships / 53 ports
Peka
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
Faroe Islands

Postby judgegeoff » 16 Apr 2018 11:17

[quote="bobbyoscar"][/quote]

Hmm, lots of rather twitchy people, Brits as well as Americans, on a couple of the facebook forums I'm on. In all honesty I think I would be to, if we had been travelling to the Baltic this year.

Perhaps there will be a lot of last minute bargains to be had on Baltic cruises this year?
Geoff

Cruises Booked

"Quantum of the Seas" - China & Japan - Autumn 2018
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby tomvet » 16 Apr 2018 20:52

Peka wrote:I think everyone else has pretty much said it and I agree. When to book is always tricky if it is your dream cruise you probably want to get straight in a book especially if you want a specific cabin. We have booked almost the first day and it has paid off and other times had bargain last minute cruises. There was one time when the price dropped an extra £100 pounds but then the cost of the flights would have risen by the same amount! You take your chances sometimes.

Completely agree about never discussing the cost on board! The worst time was during a Q&A session with the hotel manager on board. It was near the end of the session and one passenger in a full lounge asked the question "Why did I have to pay XXXX amount, the couple in the cabin next to me paid XXXX less and I'm a single passenger..." The sharp intake of breath from the rest of the passengers and the painful look on some peoples faces :lol: so awkward! The hotel manager handled it perfectly though.

I was reading the T&Cs on a Fred. advert the other day and part of their terms for the offer were that you cannot disclose to passengers on board how much you paid for your cruise!!

can you tell them when you are on the pier? :? :?
October 18 - MSC Opera - Marseille - Mahon - Cagliari - Valetta - Messina - Naples - Genoa
December 18 - A-ROSA Aqua - Cologne - Mannheim - Kehl (Strasbourg) - Mainz - Cologne
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby Peka » 17 Apr 2018 19:47

tomvet wrote:
Peka wrote:I was reading the T&Cs on a Fred. advert the other day and part of their terms for the offer were that you cannot disclose to passengers on board how much you paid for your cruise!!

can you tell them when you are on the pier? :? :?

Yep that is fine... if you're not involved :think: watching it from the ship and someone getting pushed in the water :?

8 trips / 5 ships / 53 ports
Peka
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
Faroe Islands

Previous