Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Good last minute deal but...

Good last minute deal but...

An area for topics about more general cruise-related matters.

Postby Camela » 27 Jun 2018 21:56

We've seen a good deal for the Baltic including 2 days in St Petersburg but flights will cost about 30% of cruise price. We won't go as being retired we can take advantage of off peak deals and much as the cruise appeals can't justify the travel cost. :x
"Won't you let me take you on a sea cruise"
Camela
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
England

Re: Good last minute deal but...

Postby Meg50 » 28 Jun 2018 08:53

I suppose they can cut the cost of the cruise element to fill the beds - anything rather than run empty, but the flight price is less manoeuvrable
Meg
Meg50
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Camela » 01 Jul 2018 08:37

Looks like it might be on after all, found more reasonable flights after Mr P spent ages googling!!
Camela
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
England

Postby CGBOWLER » 01 Jul 2018 14:09

If this cruise really appeals to you and you can afford to do it, don't miss it.
Poor health might steal the chance in the future.
We managed 40 cruises before ill health got the better of us. Now we can just about manage trips to doctors, hospitals, dentist and opticians.
We have a lot of happy memories though which are priceless. :clap:
Irene
CGBOWLER
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby tomvet » 01 Jul 2018 16:28

Camela wrote:We've seen a good deal for the Baltic including 2 days in St Petersburg but flights will cost about 30% of cruise price. We won't go as being retired we can take advantage of off peak deals and much as the cruise appeals can't justify the travel cost. :x

Would you not book cruise only and book your flights independently. I am not sure where your cruise starts / ends but I assume it is somewhere in Europe so flights cannot be all that expensive.
October 18 - MSC Opera - Marseille - Mahon - Cagliari - Valetta - Messina - Naples - Genoa
December 18 - A-ROSA Aqua - Cologne - Mannheim - Kehl (Strasbourg) - Mainz - Cologne
October 19 - A-ROSA Luna - Lyon- Viviers - Arles - Avignon - Vienne - Lyon
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby Camela » 08 Jul 2018 18:59

Just seen I didn't reply to this- blame the World Cup! It's out of CPH and home from STO. Looked on BA and SAS as we use LHR, then Mr P checked Skyscanner and found cheaper quote than BA website yet flying on BA....weird. Using some Avios too so all good.
Camela
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
England

Postby Camela » 08 Jul 2018 19:03

CGBOWLER wrote:If this cruise really appeals to you and you can afford to do it, don't miss it.
We managed 40 cruises before ill health got the better of us. Now we can just about manage trips to doctors, hospitals, dentist and opticians.

Thank you for wise words Irene and memories of 40 cruises are well worth having. We are grabbing the chance to travel for the reasons you said. Also we've had a much loved dog who we lost 5 months ago and restricted travel over the past 2 years due to his health - wouldn't have it any other way though.
Camela
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
England

Postby tobysgranny » 11 Jul 2018 17:06

Camela wrote:
CGBOWLER wrote:If this cruise really appeals to you and you can afford to do it, don't miss it.

Thank you for wise words Irene and memories of 40 cruises are well worth having. We are grabbing the chance to travel for the reasons you said. Also we've had a much loved dog who we lost 5 months ago and restricted travel over the past 2 years due to his health - wouldn't have it any other way though.

Sorry to hear you lost your beloved dog. It must be heartbreaking for you. | know I worry all the time about Alfie as he is now 8 and getting to be a bit of an old man.

Joan
Queen Victoria Nov. 2018.
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby Camela » 12 Jul 2018 19:37

Thank you so much Joan and I totally understand the love for Alfie. Pugs are an amazing breed. We've been privileged to have one. Mr P says never again (we've said goodbye to 3 dogs) but I say never say never.
Camela
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
England