Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - A cruise ship documentary on Channel 5 tonight at 9:00 pm

A cruise ship documentary on Channel 5 tonight at 9:00 pm

An area for topics about more general cruise-related matters.

Postby judgegeoff » 18 Feb 2019 19:24

My son has just messaged me to tell me that a TV programme titled "Secrets of the Mega Cruise Ship" is being shown on Channel 5 at 9:00 pm tonight. It is a behind the scenes documentary about the staff of the "MSC Seaside" who keep the ship running like clockwork despite their many and complex problems. It might prove to be interesting and informative.
Geoff
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Borneo » 18 Feb 2019 23:32

It was interesting. But you’d never get me on one of those big things . 6,000 passengers :o No way . 900 enough for me
Borneo
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby judgegeoff » 19 Feb 2019 01:23

Borneo wrote:It was interesting. But you’d never get me on one of those big things . 6,000 passengers :o No way . 900 enough for me

I must admit that I was a little disappointed by the programme, but overall it was quite interesting. I like all ships, big or small, and am always happy to be at sea. :D
Geoff
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: A cruise ship documentary on Channel 5 tonight at 9:00 pm

Postby Carwalsick » 20 Feb 2019 20:49

So interesting that I went to sleep. Hell comes free so why pay for it?

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk
November 2019 Spirit of Discovery Spanish Islands of The Atlantic
April 2020 Saga Sapphire Coast to Coast
July 2020 Spirit of Discovery Arctic Expedition
Carwalsick
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Dave » 21 Feb 2019 16:59

I didn't see the programme, but I have seen the ship - MSC Seaside was docked next to Harmony of the Seas in St Maarten. Not surprising then that I didn't think MSC Seaside looked particularly big. ;)

According to MSC, Seaside can take 5,331 passengers, while Wikipedia gives 5,119. Either way, it's a lot less than 6,000!

Like Geoff, I'm not particularly bothered about the size of ships - I've enjoyed them all. The biggest ship we've tried is Costa Diadema, which isn't quite as big as Seaside but similar in that her uncovered boardwalk...

...is a major feature, and a major plus for me. With so many ships built in recent years having little or no promenade deck at all, I think this is a Very Good Thing. :thumbup:

In our early cruising life we were typical of the 'small ships good, big ships bad' type of cruiser. We cruised exclusively with Fred Olsen and, like many regular FO customers, we ridiculed the "blocks of flats" towering over us in port; "You won't get us on one of those monstrosities!"; "I hear they cram in 6,000 people!" :o

Eventually, because of an offer on an extremely cheap 14 nights in the Caribbean, we tried Ventura. Not a mega-ship perhaps, but in 2010 she was considered quite a size (and a lot bigger than our favourite ship at the time - Black Watch!). I really liked Ventura, but the P&O experience was (how shall I put it?..) rubbish. Not in the same league as good old FO. So we returned to Fred for a while.

We got into river cruising for a time and loved it - four river cruises on ships from 50 to 150 passengers. Brilliant, especially the 50 passenger Viking Mekong which remains one of my very favourite ships. And we tried some more biggish ocean cruise ships such as Celebrity Eclipse (nice but oh so pretentious), Costa Deliziosa (wonderful!) and Costa Diadema (very flash). We tried Thomson, which at first we thought of as being rather like Fred Olsen but without the formality, better organised, and more relaxed. Then Thomson was rebranded and acquired medium-sized ships like Marella Discovery and Explorer, which suited us perfectly.

Looking back, I think that the way a ship is operated is far more important than its size.
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Booked land-based holidays 2019: April - Surrey, June - Snowdonia, July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Gillzajoker » 22 Feb 2019 13:08

It's good that there is a choice for all our individual preferences! :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby Seamouse » 22 Feb 2019 16:21

I quite enjoyed the programme, I am always interested to see what goes on behind the scenes. We have been on galley and theatre tours, and once a bridge tour ( on a smaller ship). I agree with Dave, it is not so much the size of the ship, but the crew themselves, and perhaps the activities/entertainment that is available that makes a good ship., and overall way they operate.
Chris
Seamouse
Commander
Commander

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Peka » 25 Feb 2019 10:58

Caught up on this last night, interesting to see behind the scenes. See they are still making the sea gruel :sick: for the fish.

But beyond the operations that keep them afloat, it didn't really inspire me to sail MSC, maybe that it is ship in the area. :? :oops: maybe I'm getting old that seemed a bit of a party ship :lol: I'm more interested in the itinerary.
Peka

Peka
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom