Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Looking for a Fjord cruise

Looking for a Fjord cruise

An area for topics about more general cruise-related matters.

Postby Camela » 22 Aug 2019 23:47

Have been researching since 2017 hoping that I'd find a good time to book for good fares but it has become obvious that doesn't happen. We want All inclusive as with Norwegian prices it makes sense to eat and drink on board. We never book holidays a year in advance but I think in this case we might have to make an exception as I have found some fares that seem ok....watch this space!
"Won't you let me take you on a sea cruise"
Camela
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
England

Postby bobbyoscar » 23 Aug 2019 07:38

We're off to the Fjords next June with Celebrity. The Fjords was our very first cruise we did back in 2014 and we loved it. This time we will be able to get off in Gerainger as we are 'docked' using the walkway. I'm also waiting for the Flam railway bookings to go live for 2020 as by booking independently the carer goes free. You never know, we may be on the same cruise. x
Cruises booked:
September 2019 -
P & O Azura - Malaga -Messina - Piraeus - Mykonos- Santorini - Katakolon - Gibraltar
June 2020 Celebrity Silhouette - Bergen - Geiranger - Flam - Stavanger
Sept 2020 Celebrity Silhouette - Madeira - Tenerife - Las Palmas - Lisbon- Porto- Vigo
bobbyoscar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby Gillzajoker » 23 Aug 2019 11:11

Hope you find what you want, Camela, and that you, Glynis, have a great time! :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby Dave » 23 Aug 2019 16:01

Our first three proper cruises all included Norway and the fjords, but then again we started with Fred Olsen so it's not too surprising. We loved the scenery (but not the prices!) and it's hard to believe that our last visit there was over 12 years ago.
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Looking for a Fjord cruise

Postby rdw123 » 27 Aug 2019 16:43

I’m currently on Saga Sapphire sailing away from Skjolden at the moment. A beautiful place. Glynis I was on the Flam railway yesterday. You could struggle with a wheelchair. The train steps are very high and I saw no evidence of wheelchair access. We were told that they were unable to accept wheelchairs on the train. We were however a little rushed as the last train was waiting for us. Perhaps you will be ok talking to them direct. Good luck as it is a lovely trip.
rdw123
Commander
Commander

Postby khkate » 27 Aug 2019 16:55

We have also done several cruises to Norway with ToT(Marco Polo before it joined CMV fleet), Fred Olsen (Balmoral) and Saga (Saga Ruby, Saga Pearl and Saga Sapphire). We have also done Norway in all seasons and love it each time we go. Yes. prices are eye-wateringly expensive but the scenery is worth it! In fact, looking back at my records, the last time we were in Norway was 2017 - must be due to go again but 2020 is busy, so it might be 2021.
CRUISES BOOKED:
Spirit of Discovery - Oct 2019, Feb 2020, April 2020, August 2020, Dec 2020
Spirit of Adventure - September 2020
khkate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby bobbyoscar » 27 Aug 2019 19:41

rdw123 wrote: Glynis I was on the Flam railway yesterday. You could struggle with a wheelchair. The train steps are very high and I saw no evidence of wheelchair access. We were told that they were unable to accept wheelchairs on the train. Good luck as it is a lovely trip.

Thanks for the warning. My first question when I emailed Norwegian Railways was to ask about accessibility and I was emailed back to say that a carriage is set aside for wheelchairs but you must prebook to secure a place. My guess is that no one had prebooked a place.
Cruises booked:
September 2019 -
P & O Azura - Malaga -Messina - Piraeus - Mykonos- Santorini - Katakolon - Gibraltar
June 2020 Celebrity Silhouette - Bergen - Geiranger - Flam - Stavanger
Sept 2020 Celebrity Silhouette - Madeira - Tenerife - Las Palmas - Lisbon- Porto- Vigo
bobbyoscar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby Camela » 28 Aug 2019 14:36

Booked. Next August on Silversea and we've talked neighbours into taking their first ever cruise! Flam Railway will be a must and unless there is a ship's excursion that we are desperate to take there is a lot of detail online to enable us to explore independently.
"Won't you let me take you on a sea cruise"
Camela
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
England

Postby Gillzajoker » 29 Aug 2019 10:48

Pleased you are sorted, Camela :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral