Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Norovirus on Oasis of the Seas

Norovirus on Oasis of the Seas

An area for topics about more general cruise-related matters.

Postby grannyM » 11 Jan 2019 12:36

Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby judgegeoff » 11 Jan 2019 13:28

Sad and very disappointing for the majority of passengers but, I suppose that it is a sensible thing to do. Hopefully RCI will be a little generous when it comes to compensation for all passengers. The extra day in port will be used to give the ship a thorough deep clean to prevent the disease affecting the next cruise.

Norovirus is not normally endemic to the cruise ship, it is brought aboard by infected passengers (or crew) and is a continuing problem for the cruise lines. I have always found cleanliness on the ships to be excellent with much effort being made to avoid any bugs spreading, with a lot of the work being carried out whilst we are snoring in our cabins.

One area in which I believe the ships could improve is in ensuring that passengers and crew take precautions in the dining rooms and buffets. We have seen people in the buffet pick an item of food up with their hands, examine it and then put it back - a perfect medium for passing on germs. On some ships, at the first sign of norovirus, only staff are allowed to serve food in the buffets. But I think that the serving of 'well done' only steaks during a norovirus scare is rather pointless as the cooking of even a 'rare' steak should kill all surface germs on the steak.

Why are so many people reluctant to wash or sanitise their hands? We recently sailed on the RCI ship "Quantum of the Seas" and, in order to access the buffet we had to pass through a hand washing station with multiple wash basins. But even then some passengers were trying to circumnavigate the facility in order to avoid washing their hands. What was that all about? What do these people do at home?

When on a cruise Chris and I try and minimise our risk of catching norovirus by cleaning or sanitising our hands at every opportunity and by using the toilet in our cabin rather than the public toilets dotted around the ship. But I do realise that we cannot protect ourselves entirely and there is a large degree of luck involved!
Geoff

Booked cruise :-
"Marella Dream" - Turkey, Greece and Israel 2019
"MSC Orchestra" - Cape Town to Venice 2020
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby grannyM » 11 Jan 2019 19:13

judgegeoff wrote:Sad and very disappointing for the majority of passengers but, I suppose that it is a sensible thing to do. Hopefully RCI will be a little generous when it comes to compensation for all passengers. The extra day in port will be used to give the ship a thorough deep clean to prevent the disease affecting the next cruise.

Norovirus is not normally endemic to the cruise ship, it is brought aboard by infected passengers (or crew) and is a continuing problem for the cruise lines. I have always found cleanliness on the ships to be excellent with much effort being made to avoid any bugs spreading, with a lot of the work being carried out whilst we are snoring in our cabins.

One area in which I believe the ships could improve is in ensuring that passengers and crew take precautions in the dining rooms and buffets. We have seen people in the buffet pick an item of food up with their hands, examine it and then put it back - a perfect medium for passing on germs. On some ships, at the first sign of norovirus, only staff are allowed to serve food in the buffets. But I think that the serving of 'well done' only steaks during a norovirus scare is rather pointless as the cooking of even a 'rare' steak should kill all surface germs on the steak.

Why are so many people reluctant to wash or sanitise their hands? We recently sailed on the RCI ship "Quantum of the Seas" and, in order to access the buffet we had to pass through a hand washing station with multiple wash basins. But even then some passengers were trying to circumnavigate the facility in order to avoid washing their hands. What was that all about? What do these people do at home?

When on a cruise Chris and I try and minimise our risk of catching norovirus by cleaning or sanitising our hands at every opportunity and by using the toilet in our cabin rather than the public toilets dotted around the ship. But I do realise that we cannot protect ourselves entirely and there is a large degree of luck involved!

I agree Geoff. I have been almost incandescent with rage (I know, it's not nice) when I witness people leaving the toilet without washing their hands. Also trying to avoid like the plague the sanitisers, when available, at the dock when reboarding at a port. I personally have witnessed that the supposed 'deep clean' for a delay of couple of hours after a norovirus outbreak, on a cruise I was on, was totally insufficient when the next cruise had a worse outbreak. So, in my opinion, it is definitely a good idea to cancel the next cruise and make sure the ship really has been 'cleaned' properly. Surely with some sort of technology this could be confirmed.
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Re: Norovirus on Oasis of the Seas

Postby Carwalsick » 11 Jan 2019 22:00

For goodness sake let's stop moaning after the event. On a number of occasions I have challenged those who have not washed hands in the loos or failed to use the sanitisers often loudly with the obvious approval of most passengers in earshot and the acute embarrassment of the culprits. Believe me, it catches on.

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk
November 2019 Spirit of Discovery Spanish Islands of The Atlantic
April 2020 Saga Sapphire Coast to Coast
July 2020 Spirit of Discovery Arctic Expedition
Carwalsick
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby grannyM » 12 Jan 2019 09:28

Carwalsick wrote:For goodness sake let's stop moaning after the event. On a number of occasions I have challenged those who have not washed hands in the loos or failed to use the sanitisers often loudly with the obvious approval of most passengers in earshot and the acute embarrassment of the culprits. Believe me, it catches on.

'Moaning' ???
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby Gillzajoker » 12 Jan 2019 10:33

I would hardly call a sensible discussion on a serious topic 'moaning' :evil:
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby Carwalsick » 12 Jan 2019 13:58

If those who prefer sensible discussion put their heads over the parapet and confronted the culprits at the time of the offence it might actually make a difference. One captain on a fairly recent cruise where there was a small outbreak actually encouraged this briefing crew to act on behalf of passengers who were reluctant to act directly. I'm sorry if I caused offence to the moaners but stick to my point

Carwalsick
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby bobbyoscar » 12 Jan 2019 14:59

Gillzajoker wrote:I would hardly call a sensible discussion on a serious topic 'moaning' :evil:

Gill, I totally agree with your comment.
Cruises booked:
June 2020 Celebrity Silhouette
- Bergen - Geiranger - Flam - Stavanger
Sept 2020 Celebrity Silhouette - Madeira - Tenerife - Las Palmas - Lisbon- Vigo
May 2021 Celebrity Silhouette - ST. PETER PORT - CORK (COBH) - WATERFORD(DUNMORE E) - DUBLIN - GLASGOW (GREENOCK) - AKUREYRI - REYKJAVIK - BELFAST
Aug 2021 Celebrity Silhouette GIBRALTAR – CARTAGENA – BARCELONA – VALENCIA – CADIZ - LISBON
bobbyoscar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby grannyM » 12 Jan 2019 17:17

Carwalsick wrote:If those who prefer sensible discussion put their heads over the parapet and confronted the culprits at the time of the offence it might actually make a difference. One captain on a fairly recent cruise where there was a small outbreak actually encouraged this briefing crew to act on behalf of passengers who were reluctant to act directly. I'm sorry if I caused offence to the moaners but stick to my point

Again this offensive word. So I stick to my point and politely ask you who you mean.

If you mean those of us who commented previously - how do you know that we did not do exactly what you so proudly boast about. If you were not present at any of the circumstances mentioned in other members' posts perhaps you are making quite wrong assumptions. Maybe some of us would rather not boast about any confrontation we may have encountered onboard ships.
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby Carwalsick » 12 Jan 2019 19:19

Where the hell are we when "moaner" is now politically incorrect. I await investigation for a hate crime. Is there no support for taking a stance or am I in completely the wrong place?

Carwalsick
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Next