Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Norovirus on Oasis of the Seas

Norovirus on Oasis of the Seas

An area for topics about more general cruise-related matters.

Re: Norovirus on Oasis of the Seas

Postby Camela » 16 Jan 2019 19:03

I think it was 3 or 4 cruises ago that the Captain didn't shake hands at the welcome party and tbh I don't think that's in the spirit of things. Cruise last year they had a Meet Your Neighbours event. 6pm be outside your suite, wine and canapes brought round and Captain, CD and GM went through the ship shaking hands with every one. No doubt stopping at every gel dispenser they passed :thumbup:
"Won't you let me take you on a sea cruise"
Camela
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
England

Postby Carwalsick » 16 Jan 2019 19:12

Camela wrote:I think it was 3 or 4 cruises ago that the Captain didn't shake hands at the welcome party and tbh I don't think that's in the spirit of things. Cruise last year they had a Meet Your Neighbours event. 6pm be outside your suite, wine and canapes brought round and Captain, CD and GM went through the ship shaking hands with every one. No doubt stopping at every gel dispenser they passed
Which ship was this on so that I can avoid it?

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk
November 2019 Spirit of Discovery Spanish Islands of The Atlantic
April 2020 Saga Sapphire Coast to Coast
July 2020 Spirit of Discovery Arctic Expedition
Carwalsick
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Camela » 16 Jan 2019 23:39

Captain who didn't shake hands was Silversea, neighbours event was Regent who incidentally are very strict on use of gel!!!
"Won't you let me take you on a sea cruise"
Camela
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
England

Postby khkate » 17 Jan 2019 15:20

Saga's captains frequently remind people about washing hands, sneezing into the crook your elbow (if you can't get the hanky out in time). They are also hot on sanitising books and games equipment when they do do an outbreak. We are boarding Pearl tomorrow and just been advised they are doing an extra deep clean - so embarkation delayed by an hour. We have also on occasion - on a Saga ship - come across occasions when because of a noro outbreak, the captain not shaking hands (don't blame him , can't afford for him to be out of action), and he'll do a shoulder bump instead.

I agree that the norovirus can often be airborne and is often found in hotels, work places, etc - just like you hear about cases of Legionnaires - but outbreaks of the noro one on a cruise ship always seems to get more publicity than a land-based outbreak.
CRUISES BOOKED:
Spirit of Discovery - Feb 2020, April 2020, August 2020, Dec 2020
Spirit of Adventure - September 2020
khkate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Previous