Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - New Refund Credit Note for cancelled cruises.

New Refund Credit Note for cancelled cruises.

An area for topics about more general cruise-related matters.

Postby judgegeoff » 07 May 2020 13:02

As some of you may know, Chris and I had a long cruise (Cape Town to Venice) cancelled because of the COVID-19 emergency and we would like a refund of the not inconsiderable money that we had paid to the Travel Agents. We have been unable to communicate with our Travel Agents, IGLU, as they do not answer any of my emails and their telephone number is closed to calls. Annoyingly, they are still sending emails advertising future cruises.

This afternoon I went on the IGLU website and it made reference to a new Refund Credit Note (RCN) whereby passengers who have had cruises that have been paid for and then cancelled will be issued RCNs which will entitle the passenger to rebook another cruise at a future date or receive a cash refund at the expiry date of the RCN. I am assuming that the RCNs will have an expiry date long into the future. If your original booking was covered by ATOL financial protection, the RCN will still provide this protection. Likewise, if your original booking was covered by ABTA financial protection, the RCN will still provide this protection.

We had also pre-booked (and paid for) excursions, drinks packages and coffee packages directly with the cruise line, MSC. Again I had received no communications from MSC and so phoned them this morning. They advised me that they will be refunding me in full, but it is unlikely that I will receive it within 120 days of the cruise cancellation date. Hmmm!
Geoff

Booked cruise :-
"MSC Orchestra" - Cape Town to Venice 2020 (now virtual)
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: New Refund Credit Note for cancelled cruises.

Postby Camela » 07 May 2020 16:20

I have gone for the Seabourn refund rather than 125% cruise credit and will do the same when (if) our August Silversea is cancelled. Due to the long term uncertainty, as a consumer I want the right to choose when and which company I travel with in the future.
"Won't you let me take you on a sea cruise"
Camela
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
England

Postby Gillzajoker » 08 May 2020 11:05

That is very bad customer service from IGLU, Geoff. I agree with Camela that a refund is better than
a RCN in these uncertain times. :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby Arizona » 08 May 2020 11:25

This is a tricky one. We were due to travel on the Spirit of Discovery on March 29th. We were called some weeks ago by Saga, offering a choice of a refund or a 125% credit, guaranteed by ABTA, which would become a 100% refund if not used to book by the end of 2021. We still haven’t decided what to do. On the one hand these companies are more likely to go bust if everyone takes a refund but on the other hand, although we really enjoy cruising, we are pessimistic about when we would be able and confident to travel again. Is it sensible in the near future to accommodate 100s or 1000s of potentially vulnerable people together in a confined space? Will other countries wish to have large numbers of potential virus carriers wandering around their beauty spots? Where could ships dock? What about insurance now that Covid 19 is no longer covered? How practical is testing everyone before boarding and what happens if someone is infected during the cruise? Given that Norovirus seems to be hard to deal with on cruise ships, how much harder would coronavirus be?..........or maybe we know that from what happened in Japan! Obviously the situation is a complete nightmare at the moment but it does seem that many companies are using the excuse of the lockdown to delay refunds as much as possible in order to keep themselves afloat.....!
Arizona
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby judgegeoff » 08 May 2020 11:44

Gillzajoker wrote:That is very bad customer service from IGLU, Geoff. I agree with Camela that a refund is better than
a RCN in these uncertain times. :D

I don't think that the RCN is exclusive to IGLU Gill, I believe that it is intended for all ABTA and ATOL Travel Agents. Presumably to give them a chance to recover and to stop some going into liquidation.
Geoff

judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Camela » 08 May 2020 16:42

Well put Arizona. I would rather have my money back and when things 'normalise' will decide how I spend it. Sure some prices may be high but I really believe there will be travel bargains to be had.
Camela
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
England

Postby Arizona » 13 May 2020 11:20

We have now had our 125% credit note from Saga. It is valid for any booking made within the next 24 months, even for a cruise which sails after that date. If not used, a refund will be given. The money is safeguarded by ABTA. Things are so uncertain that we feel unable to make a future booking just now. In order to rebook I would have to feel confident of the quality of cruising experience to expect and the safety of the destinations visited. For me this will only happen when I can see successful cruises taking place.....I’m not going to be a guinea pig!
Arizona
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Camela » 13 May 2020 12:29

Quite agree Arizona, no way I want to go on a dumbed down cruise even if it is a very cheap offer!
Camela
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
England

Postby bobbyoscar » 13 May 2020 12:51

Geoff, what about contacting your credit card provider and ask them for help or if you paid by debit card contacting your bank and ask them to initiate a charge back.
Cruises booked:
June 2020 Celebrity Silhouette
- Bergen - Geiranger - Flam - Stavanger CANX
Sept 2020 Celebrity Silhouette - Madeira - Tenerife - Las Palmas - Lisbon- Vigo CANX
May 2021 Celebrity Silhouette - ST. PETER PORT - CORK (COBH) - WATERFORD(DUNMORE E) - DUBLIN - GLASGOW (GREENOCK) - AKUREYRI - REYKJAVIK - BELFAST
Aug 2021 Celebrity Silhouette GIBRALTAR – CARTAGENA – BARCELONA – VALENCIA – CADIZ - LISBON
bobbyoscar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby judgegeoff » 13 May 2020 18:28

bobbyoscar wrote:Geoff, what about contacting your credit card provider and ask them for help or if you paid by debit card contacting your bank and ask them to initiate a charge back.

I could be wrong, but I think that the credit card provider will only act if the TA company cannot or will not act. The TA company have just said that it will take time to make refunds.
Geoff

judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Next