Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Advice for excursions, please x

Advice for excursions, please x

Advice for excursions, please x

Postby bobbyoscar » 24 Feb 2019 09:48

Ok folks, I need your expertise please.

We are booked on an 11 night cruise to the following ports:
• MADEIRA (FUNCHAL)
• TENERIFE
• Las Palmas GRAN CANARIA
• LISBON
• VIGO

Although this is not until Sept 2020, as we need an accessible vehicle with a ramp I need to start looking for suitable companies (I've found some) but I need to give them an idea as to what we would like to see.

Lisbon (overnight stay) is no problem as Andy’s carer and her mum (from Lisbon) are sailing with us and the plan for Lisbon is to do the touristy bits with their family and then the following day spend the morning at their home at Cascais before having lunch at their friend’s restaurant before returning to the ship. So, it’s the other ports I need help with.

If you have any suggestions for excursions I would be most grateful but please be aware that it needs to be suitable for a wheelchair. (I don't think that the tobaggan ride in Madeira would be really suitable :D )

Many thanks xx
Cruises booked:
September 2019 -
P & O Azura - Malaga -Messina - Mykonos - Piraeus - Santorini - Katakolon - Gibraltar
June 2020 Celebrity Silhouette - Bergen - Geiranger - Flam - Stavanger
Sept 2020 Celebrity Silhouette - Madeira - Tenerife - Las Palmas - Lisbon- Vigo
bobbyoscar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
 
Posts: 4755
Joined: 01 Jun 2011 19:16
Location: Bedford
National Flag:
England

Advice for excursions, please x

Postby grannyM » 24 Feb 2019 14:47

Sorry Glyn can't help you. Although we have been to all of these ports we were all easily accessable for us to DIY and so never had excursions except from Lisbon which you will obviously have expert help with. :D
Marie
Image
User avatar
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral
 
Posts: 17370
Joined: 28 Feb 2011 11:22
Location: Ayrshire
National Flag:
Scotland

Advice for excursions, please x

Postby bobbyoscar » 24 Feb 2019 15:33

grannyM wrote:Sorry Glyn can't help you. Although we have been to all of these ports we were all easily accessable for us to DIY and so never had excursions except from Lisbon which you will obviously have expert help with. :D


Thanks anyway, Marie.

I've found a company in Madeira called http://www.danielmadeirataxis.com/tours-excursions who have been very efficient in getting back to me and judging by the reviews on Tripadvisor seem as if they will be fine for us. It helps that we will have Portuguese speakers with us. :D

I thought I had found a company for Gran Canaria but they emailed me last night to say they are no longer doing excursions only pick ups from either airport or port.

I know I can use the company I used last year, which we had no problem with, but Cami and her mum want to pay for all the excursions so I was hoping to find something that would work out a little cheaper for them.

As for Lisbon, Cami is beside herself with excitement :D I think her entire family plan to be at the port to welcome us and when we visit her home in Cascais (her home is opposite the beach) she tells me our first visit will be to her grandparents and then to her favourite ice cream shop :lol: :lol:
Cruises booked:
September 2019 -
P & O Azura - Malaga -Messina - Mykonos - Piraeus - Santorini - Katakolon - Gibraltar
June 2020 Celebrity Silhouette - Bergen - Geiranger - Flam - Stavanger
Sept 2020 Celebrity Silhouette - Madeira - Tenerife - Las Palmas - Lisbon- Vigo
bobbyoscar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
 
Posts: 4755
Joined: 01 Jun 2011 19:16
Location: Bedford
National Flag:
England

Advice for excursions, please x

Postby judgegeoff » 24 Feb 2019 15:43

Below is a link to a video about visiting Funchal, Madeira, in a wheelchair that might give you a few ideas :-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8nOOMowt0I

I hope that you find it of use.
Geoff
User avatar
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey
 
Posts: 4009
Joined: 23 Mar 2013 12:58
Location: New Romney. Kent
National Flag:
United Kingdom

Advice for excursions, please x

Postby bobbyoscar » 24 Feb 2019 16:27

judgegeoff wrote:Below is a link to a video about visiting Funchal, Madeira, in a wheelchair that might give you a few ideas :-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8nOOMowt0I

I hope that you find it of use.


Thanks Geoff, I think that the cable car looks like something we would like to do :thumbup:
Cruises booked:
September 2019 -
P & O Azura - Malaga -Messina - Mykonos - Piraeus - Santorini - Katakolon - Gibraltar
June 2020 Celebrity Silhouette - Bergen - Geiranger - Flam - Stavanger
Sept 2020 Celebrity Silhouette - Madeira - Tenerife - Las Palmas - Lisbon- Vigo
bobbyoscar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
 
Posts: 4755
Joined: 01 Jun 2011 19:16
Location: Bedford
National Flag:
England

Advice for excursions, please x

Postby grannyM » 24 Feb 2019 18:27

bobbyoscar wrote:As for Lisbon, Cami is beside herself with excitement :D I think her entire family plan to be at the port to welcome us and when we visit her home in Cascais (her home is opposite the beach) she tells me our first visit will be to her grandparents and then to her favourite ice cream shop :lol: :lol:


Well Glyn, If I was going to suggest an excursion it would have included Cascais because that is one of the nicest places we visited from Lisbon. Our excursion also included Sintra. We also visited Estroil on the way back which has a beautiful beach where we saw lots of Surfers. It is a lovely day out and the Ice Cream will be delicious. I'm sure your friend, Cami, will insist you sample some authentic Portugese Tarts which are also delicious.

Image
Marie
Image
User avatar
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral
 
Posts: 17370
Joined: 28 Feb 2011 11:22
Location: Ayrshire
National Flag:
Scotland

Advice for excursions, please x

Postby bobbyoscar » 24 Feb 2019 21:01

grannyM wrote:
bobbyoscar wrote:As for Lisbon, Cami is beside herself with excitement :D I think her entire family plan to be at the port to welcome us and when we visit her home in Cascais (her home is opposite the beach) she tells me our first visit will be to her grandparents and then to her favourite ice cream shop :lol: :lol:


I'm sure your friend, Cami, will insist you sample some authentic Portugese Tarts which are also delicious.

Image


:lol: :lol: :lol: Everytime she goes home, I have a box of them bought back for me. A visit to the original bakery/café is on the to do list :D
Cruises booked:
September 2019 -
P & O Azura - Malaga -Messina - Mykonos - Piraeus - Santorini - Katakolon - Gibraltar
June 2020 Celebrity Silhouette - Bergen - Geiranger - Flam - Stavanger
Sept 2020 Celebrity Silhouette - Madeira - Tenerife - Las Palmas - Lisbon- Vigo
bobbyoscar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
 
Posts: 4755
Joined: 01 Jun 2011 19:16
Location: Bedford
National Flag:
England

Re: Advice for excursions, please x

Postby rdw123 » 25 Feb 2019 08:40

Be aware it’s very hilly at the top of the cable car in Madeira but there is, or was, a nice little cafe at the top with a lovely view. It was full of locals when we were there, usually a good sign. Just booked a week there with my 2neighbours in Nov/Dec. Should just catch the lights switch on. Have a good time
rdw123
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
 
Posts: 289
Joined: 31 Jan 2013 18:04

Advice for excursions, please x

Postby grannyM » 25 Feb 2019 16:20

bobbyoscar wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: Everytime she goes home, I have a box of them bought back for me. A visit to the original bakery/café is on the to do list


Lucky you. We have tried them in lots of other places when labelled 'Portugese tarts' but never as good as 'the real thing' in Portugal or Madeira. :thumbup:
Marie
Image
User avatar
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral
 
Posts: 17370
Joined: 28 Feb 2011 11:22
Location: Ayrshire
National Flag:
Scotland

Re: Advice for excursions, please x

Postby bobbyoscar » 25 Feb 2019 16:46

rdw123 wrote:Be aware it’s very hilly at the top of the cable car in Madeira but there is, or was, a nice little cafe at the top with a lovely view. It was full of locals when we were there, usually a good sign. Just booked a week there with my 2neighbours in Nov/Dec. Should just catch the lights switch on. Have a good time



Thanks for that. Hmm, I'll have a good think about it. xx
Cruises booked:
September 2019 -
P & O Azura - Malaga -Messina - Mykonos - Piraeus - Santorini - Katakolon - Gibraltar
June 2020 Celebrity Silhouette - Bergen - Geiranger - Flam - Stavanger
Sept 2020 Celebrity Silhouette - Madeira - Tenerife - Las Palmas - Lisbon- Vigo
bobbyoscar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
 
Posts: 4755
Joined: 01 Jun 2011 19:16
Location: Bedford
National Flag:
England


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to Cruising with a disability



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest