Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Smart Casual or Optional Formal?

Smart Casual or Optional Formal?

Would you bother with formal attire on a 2 night cruise?

Would make the effort?
25%
Would you cut down on your luggage and not bother?
75%

Total votes : 24

Postby annie » 23 Feb 2013 12:34

tobysgranny wrote:

On our not very nice cruise on The Arcadia back in 2006, we had a couple on our table who was on their first cruise. On our first formal night she came down to dinner in a ball gown. It was so out of place and over the top even for a formal night, but she obviously thought that was what people wore on these occasions.

This made me think as to what do we expect on formal nights when we cruise for the first time. Just how much do we dress up.

Joan

Hi Joan

I can understand how that happened esp on a UK line. On some cruise forums, people go on and on about how important it is to follow dress code - and if you don't you are barred from certain parts of the ship. Sorry - tosh.

Fortunately, I chose Azamara for my 1st cruise and I knew there were no formal nights.

I have cruised RCCI once and in the MDR on formal night have seen jeans worn as well as ball gowns. Sorry folks, I thought it looked so odd. However nobody felt uncomfortable - I suppose that is what is important.

I feel ladies are lucky - stick to smart trousers and smart top - sorted. Less packing - lighter suitcases :)

Annie
annie
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Dave » 23 Feb 2013 14:25

My attitude and behaviour towards formal dress has changed back and forth over the years.

I felt very under-dressed at dinner at our first ever formal evening. It was a mini-cruise and I was lucky I'd even taken a jacket and tie.

Then I went through a period of 'good enough' - a suit and tie, because I wasn't going to dress like a penguin.

Then I decided to embrace the 'dress like a penguin' big time. So I got myself a dinner suit, bow ties, and fancy waistcoats. I even bought a cummerbund but never found the nerve to wear it. I enjoyed that period because I could at last look down my nose at the scruffs who dressed like I used to. I'd look at them and tut. :D

Then we discovered river cruising where it's smart-casual and I felt much more relaxed. Everyone looks smart without the need for a dress code.

And most recently we cruised with Thomson and chose to eat in the buffet exclusively - no dressing up whatsoever!

So basically, I'm happy to go with the flow, but I prefer not to have to dress up for dinner.
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Smart Casual or Optional Formal?

Postby annie » 23 Feb 2013 14:38

Hi Dave

My first cruises were river cruises - no dress code and everyone smartly dressed.

!st ocean cruise - Azamara - same as river cruises.

I just don't see the need for dressing up but like Joan, I feel like a sack of potatoes in a dress and would rather not do it.

Annie
annie
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby JollyJill » 23 Feb 2013 14:39

As someone said; it's easy for us women to fit in with the dress code whatever it might be. For the men it's not so easy, especially if there is a flight involved.
P had never owned a dinner suit or a tux until we started cruising. Never one to want to stand out in a crowd though, he bought all the necessary and has added a whole range of bow ties and cummerbunds to his collection over the past few years.
When we boarded Boudicca in Portsmouth last month, he took his white tux and a dark suit and formal shirts with lots of accessories- no problem as we just carried them onto the ship separately to the rest of our luggage.

It will of course be a different scenario when we fly to Jamaica for a 22night cruise on Voyager; especially as I am led to believe that there will be a 20kg luggage limit. He will pack one suit and a couple of formal shirts, amongst the others, plus accessories and ordinary ties.

Fortunately from our previous experience of Voyages of Discovery, the dress code is more relaxed and I have often seen men wear a lounge suit on formal nights.

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Gemma » 23 Feb 2013 14:49

I mentioned to a friend that we were going on a cruise. Her first reaction was 'How will you cope with all the luggage . Evening wear every night' .......and so on.
I've concluded that some people think people dress in formal gear every night. And then you've got the other extreme who think their gardening clothes are perfectly suitable for dinner.
Gemma
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Malta

Postby annie » 23 Feb 2013 15:01

Gemma wrote:I mentioned to a friend that we were going on a cruise. Her first reaction was 'How will you cope with all the luggage . Evening wear every night' .......and so on.
I've concluded that some people think people dress in formal gear every night. And then you've got the other extreme who think their gardening clothes are perfectly suitable for dinner.

I think people need to stop watching An Affair to Remember (1957) or the Love Boat series. :) Life has moved on.

When I booked an expensive land trip (Oberoi hotels )- I never thought about dress code think and don't think about it re cruises either.

I have the impression that some of the traditional cruisers on the UK cruise lines may be OCD re dress code - I know it puts many of my friends and acquaintances off cruising.

Annie
annie
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Peka » 23 Feb 2013 15:10

Gemma wrote:I mentioned to a friend that we were going on a cruise. Her first reaction was 'How will you cope with all the luggage . Evening wear every night' .......and so on.

Last year, when our friend came with us, she was asking and asking about what to bring to wear and how "fancy" etc. We told her, basically her everyday wear was perfect enough (especially as I don't think she possesses anything too casual hehe)

When we arrived at her house in the taxi to pick her up to go the airport (for the transfer not flying very luckily!) She had - and I am not kidding 2 large suitcases, 1 smaller case and some hand luggage with her. The look on the taxi driver's face figuring out how he was going to get everything in was a picture! I was already sitting in the back and felt the car go down with each bag added. I think mum and I had 2 medium sized cases between us!
Peka

Peka
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby tobysgranny » 23 Feb 2013 15:13

annie wrote:
tobysgranny wrote:

On our not very nice cruise on The Arcadia back in 2006, we had a couple on our table who was on their first cruise. On our first formal night she came down to dinner in a ball gown. It was so out of place and over the top even for a formal night, but she obviously thought that was what people wore on these occasions.

This made me think as to what do we expect on formal nights when we cruise for the first time. Just how much do we dress up.

Joan

Hi Joan

I can understand how that happened esp on a UK line. On some cruise forums, people go on and on about how important it is to follow dress code - and if you don't you are barred from certain parts of the ship. Sorry - tosh.

Fortunately, I chose Azamara for my 1st cruise and I knew there were no formal nights.

I have cruised RCCI once and in the MDR on formal night have seen jeans worn as well as ball gowns. Sorry folks, I thought it looked so odd. However nobody felt uncomfortable - I suppose that is what is important.

I feel ladies are lucky - stick to smart trousers and smart top - sorted. Less packing - lighter suitcases :)

Annie

I don't think my husband and would agree about the lighter luggage Annie as I always take far too much. As we are flying Virgin Premium Economy out to Miami we are allowed 2 cases each weighing 23kgs. And as we are sailing back on The Indy ..............Sawgrass Mills here I come! Mind you we are away or 5 weeks all together.

Joan
Queen Victoria Nov. 2018.
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby annie » 23 Feb 2013 15:20

Peka wrote:

Last year, when our friend came with us, she was asking and asking about what to bring to wear and how "fancy" etc. We told her, basically her everyday wear was perfect enough (especially as I don't think she possesses anything too casual hehe)

When we arrived at her house in the taxi to pick her up to go the airport (for the transfer not flying very luckily!) She had - and I am not kidding 2 large suitcases, 1 smaller case and some hand luggage with her. The look on the taxi driver's face figuring out how he was going to get everything in was a picture! I was already sitting in the back and felt the car go down with each bag added. I think mum and I had 2 medium sized cases between us!

Let's be honest some people like being 'clothes horses' on a cruise. I don't understand the mind set - but each to their own - just don't try and impose that on everyone.

I am about to set off on a land/cruise trip of 28 days duration and I will try and limit my main luggage to 15kg - I might not manage it but the weight will be def below 20kg.

I have a very good friend who is a 'clothes horse' , her words, at the office but NEVER on a cruise.

BTW I think DJs and jeans are very similar - a uniform - and you all look the same. Unless you are RR - neither look works for me. :)

Annie
annie
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby annie » 23 Feb 2013 15:22

I don't think my husband and would agree about the lighter luggage Annie as I always take far too much. As we are flying Virgin Premium Economy out to Miami we are allowed 2 cases each weighing 23kgs. And as we are sailing back on The Indy ..............Sawgrass Mills here I come! Mind you we are away or 5 weeks all together.

Joan[/quote]

If you enjoy taking far too much go for it - don't ask me to carry it :)

BTW I am NOT a shopaholic either - I can happily spend 4 weeks in the US without visiting the shops.

Annie
annie
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PreviousNext

Return to Polls