Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Why do home port cruises seem more popular?

Why do home port cruises seem more popular?

Do you fly/cruise

I don't mind flying and will cruise from anywhere.
28%
I don't like flying so only cruise from home ports.
17%
I don't fly due to medical reasons so home ports are the best option.
6%
I prefer to cruise mainly with people from my own country.
No votes
The home ports are just easier to get to.
50%

Total votes : 18

Why do home port cruises seem more popular?

Postby Wansbrough » 02 Sep 2012 09:39

I have noticed that with the recent influx of new members that the "which ship have you cruised on?" threads have been quite active again. It is quite noticeable that the ships leaving from our home ports are more popular that the ones that don't.
What do you suppose the reason for this is? My first and most obvious conclusion would probably be that there are many who do not like flying, another could be that people feel more secure sailing with more passengers from the same country or maybe there it could be medical reasons? Maybe there are other reasons that are not that obvious?

I don't think it is a price issue as much of the foreign cruises I have seen advertised seem to be as cheap even with a flight included.

So, I thought a poll might be a good idea to see what proportion of our members do and don't fly. I have only given five options for the poll and perhaps if there are any other reasons people could give us an insight in why the home port cruises are more popular?

Just to say if there are any other reasons that I have not thought of which are a popular choice, I cannot adjust the poll once it has started.

A few links to remind you of the where the "which ship have you cruised on?" threads are. ;)

Carnival

Celebrity

Costa

Cunard

Fred Olsen

Holland America

MSC

NCL

P&O

Princess

Royal Caribbean

Thomson

Voyages of Discovery
Wansbrough
Bar Steward
Bar Steward

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Why do home port cruises seem more popular?

Postby Dave » 02 Sep 2012 09:51

I chose: 'I don't like flying so only cruise from home ports.' because it was closest to 'I don't like airports so prefer to cruise from home ports.'

I think we've done every home port cruise available, which is why we now have to fly. :(
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby tobysgranny » 02 Sep 2012 10:23

I don't like flying if I can avoid doing so, and sailing from a home port means I don't have any luggage restraints. Also, cruise terminals are usually much easier to negotiate than airports. Next year we are doing a Caribbean cruise and then sailing home. I just hope I have time in between to do lots of shopping. Sawgrass Mills here I come! Joan
Queen Victoria Nov. 2018.
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby Wansbrough » 02 Sep 2012 10:27

Dave wrote:I chose: 'I don't like flying so only cruise from home ports.' because it was closest to 'I don't like airports so prefer to cruise from home ports.'

I think we've done every home port cruise available, which is why we now have to fly. :(

Interesting Dave, I love the airport bit and it never actually feels like my holiday has started until we have checked in. :D

We have never sailed from any home port and it is quite likely we never will unless we do the Baltic one day.

Talking of airports, on Tuesday we will be flying from Southampton on a Flybe Bombardier to Schiphol airport, its quite a small airport and the last time we were there we were sat in the terminal waiting to board and the Battle of Britain memorial flight taxied past the terminal. It was quite an unusual experience seeing that prior to getting on our flight. :shock:
Wansbrough
Bar Steward
Bar Steward

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby annie » 02 Sep 2012 10:30

I do not envisage cruising from SOTON unless it is a TA - QM2.

Reasons are:

1. I would have to fly to SOTON.
2. I don't want to cruise with mainly British passengers.
3. Sailing through BOB - what a waste of time/money.

Annie
annie
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby tobysgranny » 02 Sep 2012 10:59

annie wrote:I do not envisage cruising from SOTON unless it is a TA - QM2.

Reasons are:

1. I would have to fly to SOTON.
2. I don't want to cruise with mainly British passengers.
3. Sailing through BOB - what a waste of time/money.

Annie

Hi Annie,

We are fortunate in that Southampton is only around 3 hours from Plymouth, but our last cruise went out of Harwich and there were a lot of different nationalities on board as it was an interesting itinerary up to Iceland. (A one off for The Jewel this year).

Like you I don't like sailing with mainly British passengers and enjoy a mixture of different cultures. I enjoy sitting with someone from another country for breakfast etc. and hearing about where they come from.

I don't really mind sailing through the Bay of Biscay, if it calm that is, as I enjoy sea days as much as port days, and I get to catch up on my reading (and sleeping, if I have had a busy run up to the cruise).

Joan
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby tomvet » 02 Sep 2012 11:33

I chose option 1 which is just as well I don't like flying as we need to to get to any port. Like Annie, I do not envisage ever sailing from Soton unless its a TA and I am not so keen to do that with a smallie for a while. If I want to go to the Med / Canaries, it is the same hassle to fly to there as the Canaries - similarly if I want tthe Fjords or Baltic its the same hassle to fly to Copenhagen / Hamburg. Besides as Annie says it saves also having to endure the BOB and much of the North Sea - more ports and less sea days for me please!

Additionally, getting to Soton involves flying with Flybe and from what I here Ryanair are near Angels compared to them!

That said, I would definitely consider cruises from Liverpool - overnight ferry rides from Dublin - that 2 additional nights cruising! :lol:
October 19 - A-ROSA Luna - Lyon- Viviers - Arles - Avignon - Vienne - Lyon
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby Dave » 02 Sep 2012 11:39

For us, the only good thing about a fly-cruise is that it allows us to visit places further away.

We like being on ships, so a few sea-days is never a problem. We like to take as much luggage as we can fit in the car. We don't like airports or long-haul flights.
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby tobysgranny » 02 Sep 2012 14:30

We have a bit of a problem next year as we are flying to Miami out of Heathrow and sailing back to Southampton. In the past it hasn't been a problem as my daughter lived in Surrey and we could leave our car there and they dropped us off and picked us up, but they have now moved up to the midlands. We will have to work out the cheapest solution. (Baring in mind all that shopping I want to do at Sawgrass Mills.)

Joan
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby CGBOWLER » 02 Sep 2012 14:33

I have not voted.

I don't mind flying and will cruise from anywhere. I hate airports and the fact you have to be there so long before you fly.
I don't like flying so only cruise from home ports. Planes are generally cramped and I don't enjoy flying but do so if necessary.
I don't fly due to medical reasons so home ports is the best option. N/A
I prefer to cruise mainly with people from my own country.N/A
The home ports are just easier to get to. Not for us in the case of Southampton.

I prefer to sail from GB, from a northern port especially, but will fly if necessary.
There are not many flights from our local airport (LBA) and Manchester flights more often than not, leave at 6am which means leaving home at about 2.30am or the extra expense of a hotel before flying.
Our last cruise was from Newcastle and so is our next one. Less than two hours travel for us and no worrying about luggage restrictions.
I enjoy days at sea and have only had a couple of uncomfortable BOB crossings.
Irene
CGBOWLER
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Next