Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Why do home port cruises seem more popular?

Why do home port cruises seem more popular?

Do you fly/cruise

I don't mind flying and will cruise from anywhere.
28%
I don't like flying so only cruise from home ports.
17%
I don't fly due to medical reasons so home ports are the best option.
6%
I prefer to cruise mainly with people from my own country.
No votes
The home ports are just easier to get to.
50%

Total votes : 18

Re: Why do home port cruises seem more popular?

Postby JollyJill » 02 Sep 2012 14:46

I chose option 5 because for us, home ports are easier to get to than airports and in any case, we both hate the airport experience and definitely don't like long haul flights.
We will are flying to Venice twice this year, which is necessary because of the itineraries we have chosen.
In January we will be sailing to and from Portsmouth on a TA cruise to the Amazon and Caribbean .

We also want to do a SE Asia cruise so will have to bite the bullet and fly one way unless we do a complet World cruise which we don't want to do.

In short, we only fly if there isn't an alternative.

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby sevenseascoaster » 02 Sep 2012 19:59

As a very regular flyer previously long haul flights and short ones in the past never ever bothered me. took everything in my stride, and enjoyed all the people watching while waiting and the excitement building. As I've got older my tolerance levels are less, and all the waiting around doesn't appeal so much.

Being only 45 miles from Southampton means a hassle free start to the holiday, yes itineries are not so good as some of those you fly too except of course the World Cruises from Southampton. Personally I love sea days and thoroughly enjoy the relaxing time.

Would I still fly if necessary to go further afield Yes, hows that for a contradiction :lol:
Wen

Tried 19 different Ships and many many cruises, and hopefully more to come!
I haven't been everywhere, but its on my list!
sevenseascoaster
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby Trace » 02 Sep 2012 20:52

I chose option 1 tho it isn't totally true, we do fly cruise but I wouldn't fly to anywhere, I don't really like flying tho we have always done it (land based holidays) longest I have done is Tenerife, 4 and a half hours from Humberside airport in 1994, I can cope with 2 to 3 hours. maybe one day I will be more adventurous, would love to go with our children and grandchildren to Florida one day. At the moment I am happy with 2 to 3 hour flights to the ports. The flight to Corfu last year seemed really short and I was fine. Hope it feels the same to Venice :)
Tracey :-)
Trace
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Mungo » 02 Sep 2012 21:02

I opted for 5 as I hate getting to airports, parking, waiting around, delays, luggage restrictions. Sailing from home ports is far easier. :D However if needs must I'd fly. :lol:
Iona July 2020
Arcadia December 2020
Britannia March 2021
Columbus May 2021
Mungo
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby jocap » 02 Sep 2012 22:53

I love flying, but don't like the big airports, so we look to see what's going from Newcastle, Leeds, Doncaster etc. We have to spend a night whether going from an airport or Soton, so it costs the same....it's either that, or leaving really early, which we're finding harder to do now we're aged.....and longer to catch up.
We're also finding long haulflights exhausting now- I don't know why- and although we could be tempted to fly to the Caribbean (the excitement carries us out!), we'd need to sail back. The last time we went, it took us around 5 days to recover from the flight home- that staggered us, as it had never affected us much before, even from Hawaii in one day.....not exactly jet lag, just bone tiredness.
Jo.
Jo.

19 Cruises; 10 ships; 7 lines; 89 ports
jocap
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby JollyJill » 03 Sep 2012 00:56

jocap wrote:I love flying, but don't like the big airports, so we look to see what's going from Newcastle, Leeds, Doncaster etc. We have to spend a night whether going from an airport or Soton, so it costs the same....it's either that, or leaving really early, which we're finding harder to do now we're aged.....and longer to catch up.
We're also finding long haulflights exhausting now- I don't know why- and although we could be tempted to fly to the Caribbean (the excitement carries us out!), we'd need to sail back. The last time we went, it took us around 5 days to recover from the flight home- that staggered us, as it had never affected us much before, even from Hawaii in one day.....not exactly jet lag, just bone tiredness.
Jo.

That's exactly our problem too. It took us days to recover from our flight home from Brazil in Jan 2011 which made us make the decision only to ever fly out if it was long haul, provided we could sail back. It must be age then Jo. :(

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby tomvet » 03 Sep 2012 03:16

JollyJill wrote:
jocap wrote:I love flying, but don't like the big airports, so we look to see what's going from Newcastle, Leeds, Doncaster etc. We have to spend a night whether going from an airport or Soton, so it costs the same....it's either that, or leaving really early, which we're finding harder to do now we're aged.....and longer to catch up.
Jo.

That's exactly our problem too. It took us days to recover from our flight home from Brazil in Jan 2011 which made us make the decision only to ever fly out if it was long haul, provided we could sail back. It must be age then Jo. :(

If its an age thing you mean there is worse to come! 10 years ago long haul did not cost me a thought now I also dread the coming home bit. It takes days to recover and it is an awful feeling particularly when flying from the Americas and besides 12 hours + in a planne as they are no st comfortable these days does not inspire me either.
October 19 - A-ROSA Luna - Lyon- Viviers - Arles - Avignon - Vienne - Lyon
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby annie » 03 Sep 2012 08:50

Well I am flying to South America - allow recovery time, land tour and I will cruise back. Unfortunately I will disembark on the south coast and the logistics of returning to Scotland well :)

Annie
annie
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Jimmy the One » 03 Sep 2012 10:00

We have done a number of fly cruises the last one was in 2009 and that was only because it was direct flight to Barbados from Glasgow as like others can't be bothered with the hassle at airports nowadays although I do fully undestand the reasons.We have done the journey to the South coast a couple of times and must say Eavesway are very good plenty stops on the way to stretch your legs and get a cuppa its a 4am departure from Glasgow but you're in Southampton for 13:30 and your luggage is taken care of.But at our ages now always look for Scottish departures before looking further afield :)
Jim
Im just a soul whose intentions are good Oh lord please dont let me be misunderstood

Jimmy the One
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby annie » 03 Sep 2012 11:00

Hi Jimmy

A 4am departure from Gla to coach to SOTON then probably 2 days transiting to the Med or

5 mins to Gla airport - flight to med to catch the vessel.

For me it is no contest and SOTON will not be the winner.

As for Scottish departures - if it is a med destination - more wasted days.

Now if we could have a TA departing a west coast port - I may be interested.

I think I have solved the return journey of my 4 week trip - not perfect but I'll cope :)

Annie
annie
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PreviousNext