Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Which UK ports have you sailed from?

Which UK ports have you sailed from?

Please tick the ports you've sailed from (or disembarked at).

Aberdeen
2%
Avonmouth
1%
Belfast
3%
Bristol
No votes
Dover
12%
Dublin
3%
Dundee
1%
Edinburgh
4%
Glasgow
1%
Greenock
6%
Harwich
7%
Hull
3%
Invergordon
2%
Liverpool
6%
London
No votes
Newcastle
9%
Oban
No votes
Plymouth
2%
Poole
1%
Portsmouth
6%
Rosyth
5%
Southampton
18%
Tilbury
5%
Other
4%
None of the above!
2%

Total votes : 127

Postby JollyJill » 01 Sep 2015 17:24

Just added Newcastle which makes 8 for us. :)

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby tobysgranny » 02 Sep 2015 00:13

We are sailing again from Harwich for our T/A to Boston. What a terrible port for us to get to. National Express don't go there. We could have gone by train but that meant getting from one station in London to another with one hour between trains and all our luggage. We have had to settle for hiring a car and as it is a one way hire they slap an extra £40 on the cost. Not to mention the journey from Plymouth. Not exactly the easiest port to get to. The last time we sailed from Harwich we said "Never again", but here we are again!

We are leaving tomorrow afternoon and will break the journey, staying somewhere just off the M25 and hope to get to Harwich around lunchtime Thursday.

Thank goodness our next cruise sails from Southampton.

Joan
Queen Victoria Nov. 2018.
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby octocruiser » 02 Sep 2015 02:41

tobysgranny wrote:We are sailing again from Harwich for our T/A to Boston. What a terrible port for us to get to. National Express don't go there. We could have gone by train but that meant getting from one station in London to another with one hour between trains and all our luggage. We have had to settle for hiring a car and as it is a one way hire they slap an extra £40 on the cost. Not to mention the journey from Plymouth. Not exactly the easiest port to get to. The last time we sailed from Harwich we said "Never again", but here we are again!

We are leaving tomorrow afternoon and will break the journey, staying somewhere just off the M25 and hope to get to Harwich around lunchtime Thursday.

Joan

You have my sympathy . We only took the car there once - and that was only from Cheltenham. I get very fidgety about possible delays - in fact for fidgety read paranoid ! I had been watching on line and there had been a lot of accidents on the M25 during the previous few days with sections closed for hours on end. So after a sleepless night we decided on the previous day to start that evening and prebooked the Premier Inn at South Mimms - it's a few years ago and there were not many choices.
We started at about 6.30 in the evening and of course bowled down without a hitch along near empty roads.

Next morning it was the same through to Harwich. We had a leisurely start at about 9.30 . The traffic built up a bit on the latter part but no real delays and we were the second car to arrive in the car park.

We were told later by a professional driver who frequently took passengers to Harwich and to Stansted that he never used the M25 because of the potential for serious delay .

Coming back was a Bank Holiday Saturday and early in the football season and it was an absolute nightmare. What should have taken about 5 hours with a break actually took 9 hours of crawling nose to tail due to sheer volume of traffic.

I hope all goes well for you en route and you are able to relax and get on board in comfort.

Happy Sailing

Kath
octocruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby JollyJill » 02 Sep 2015 06:46

My sympathies for both Joan and Kath who find sailing from Harwich a trial/worry. I completely understand as yes, the M25 is always a worry due to constant delays, although of course the M20 is worse these days due to the constant problems in Calais and 'operation stack'.

For us, Newcastle was the most difficult port to get to due to distance.

Fortunately, we have friends in Yorkshire so we were able to spend a pleasant overnight stay with them both ways in order to break the journey.

In fact, we left home 2 days early in order to spend a night at a Premier Inn near Newcastle in order to leave the car there for nothing instead of paying the very expensive port parking charges. ;)

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby tobysgranny » 02 Sep 2015 06:52

octocruiser wrote:
tobysgranny wrote:We are sailing again from Harwich for our T/A to Boston. What a terrible port for us to get to. National Express don't go there. We could have gone by train but that meant getting from one station in London to another with one hour between trains and all our luggage. We have had to settle for hiring a car and as it is a one way hire they slap an extra £40 on the cost. Not to mention the journey from Plymouth. Not exactly the easiest port to get to. The last time we sailed from Harwich we said "Never again", but here we are again!

Joan

You have my sympathy . We only took the car there once - and that was only from Cheltenham. I get very fidgety about possible delays - in fact for fidgety read paranoid ! I had been watching on line and there had been a lot of accidents on the M25 during the previous few days with sections closed for hours on end. So after a sleepless night we decided on the previous day to start that evening and prebooked the Premier Inn at South Mimms - it's a few years ago and there were not many choices.
We started at about 6.30 in the evening and of course bowled down without a hitch along near empty roads.

Next morning it was the same through to Harwich. We had a leisurely start at about 9.30 . The traffic built up a bit on the latter part but no real delays and we were the second car to arrive in the car park.

We were told later by a professional driver who frequently took passengers to Harwich and to Stansted that he never used the M25 because of the potential for serious delay .

Coming back was a Bank Holiday Saturday and early in the football season and it was an absolute nightmare. What should have taken about 5 hours with a break actually took 9 hours of crawling nose to tail due to sheer volume of traffic.

I hope all goes well for you en route and you are able to relax and get on board in comfort.

Happy Sailing

Kath[/quote

I get quite worried about traffic accidents on motorways or holdups on our way to the cruiseport and fortunately it only happened once and was on an 'A' road and not the motorway so we were able to turn round and find another way and got to the port in plenty of time.

However, the worse experience we had getting to Southampton was when we boarded the QE at Southampton January 2014. My daughter agreed to drive us there as we would be flying back to Heathrow and it took us 4 hours from coming off the M27 to the port. You have never seen anything like it. It turned out someone in their wisdom had put a temporary set if traffic lights up on the same day the three Queens were going out on their World cruises plus the Arcadia and a Saga ship were also sailing. Result was total and utter chaos. It even took my daughter an hour to get back on the road after dropping us off. The poor kid was dying to go to the loo the whole time as well as she was pregnant.

Joan
Queen Victoria Nov. 2018.
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Re: Which UK ports have you sailed from?

Postby Peka » 02 Sep 2015 07:54

I can understand this. After our cruise from Newcastle, I really don't fancy it again. Great cruise and lovely places around we enjoyed our stay in the area, but the travelling!!!

I have always thought how do people manage from the north of England or Scotland going down to Southampton, (my least favourite place to embark, even though the drive isn't bad)
Peka

Peka
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Which UK ports have you sailed from?

Postby octocruiser » 02 Sep 2015 08:15

Peka wrote:I can understand this. After our cruise from Newcastle, I really don't fancy it again. Great cruise and lovely places around we enjoyed our stay in the area, but the travelling!!!

I have always thought how do people manage from the north of England or Scotland going down to Southampton, (my least favourite place to embark, even though the drive isn't bad)

I did wonder about you people going up to Newcastle from the South and appreciate it is just the same in reverse for those from the North going down to Southampton, or even worse Dover.

We have a daughter living in Co. Durham, so if we were tempted we could go to them in advance by train and then be chauffeured by them to the ship.

Alternatively if we booked Fred via Saga's Cruise World we would get chauffeured transport from home to the ship.
octocruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby Peka » 02 Sep 2015 08:47

There plenty of people from the south coast who had travelled up. A couple from the Isle of Wight flew up as it was cheaper than the parking fees at the port even paying for excess baggage. Others had taken trains, coaches, taxies etc. Of course there were quite a few Aussies on board so they had been travelling all.around beforehand as well

On board they seemed to kept saying everyone had come from the north of the country, but when it is a more unique itinerary people will travel from all over.
Peka

Peka
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Gillzajoker » 02 Sep 2015 14:20

Just Southampton for me, as I always fly/cruise.
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Previous

Return to Polls