Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Poll: Do formal evenings appeal to you?

Poll: Do formal evenings appeal to you?

Do formal evenings appeal to you?

YES. I like a cruise to include formal evenings.
65%
NO. I prefer a cruise without formal evenings.
24%
I really don't care either way!
12%

Total votes : 34

Postby Jimmy the One » 24 May 2013 13:21

Also like formal nights good to see everyone making the effort,blazer and trousers for other nights :D
Im just a soul whose intentions are good Oh lord please dont let me be misunderstood

Jimmy the One
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby CGBOWLER » 24 May 2013 17:06

I don't think I care either way but I have never sailed on a ship that did not have at least one formal evening. I wouldn't want to sail on a ship which was totally casual.
I do not feel comfortable wearing fancy clothes/dresses but always make the effort in respect to others who do. My one and only (evening) dress has shrunk in the wardrobe. :cry:
Never understood the difference between Informal and smart casual. :?
Irene
CGBOWLER
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby grannyM » 24 May 2013 17:39

I don't care either way. We always adhere to the dress code and especially sailing out of the UK it is no problem. However I must say that our 2 cruises with Norwegian Jade, which have been fly/cruises, we didn't take DJ or long frocks. On Norwegian cruise ships there are no formal nights but on the 'dress-up' nights most people were very smart and there were certainly people a few who did wear formal. OH was delighted not to have to take or wear the DJ and we certainly did not feel there was any dumbing down or shorts and tee-shirts in the MDR. :D
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby Mungo » 24 May 2013 20:50

Do they appeal? ........ In one word..... No! ;)

I'm on holiday and want to enjoy myself. Dressing up and feeling uncomfortable is not my idea of fun. :lol:
Iona July 2020
Arcadia December 2020
Britannia March 2021
Columbus May 2021
Mungo
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby bobbyboy » 24 May 2013 21:36

As someone who liked Ocean Village I would miss formal nights if I ever had the chance to sail OV again.

I voted in favour of formal nights.

Bob :)
bobbyboy
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Poll: Do formal evenings appeal to you?

Postby jocap » 24 May 2013 21:39

It's not a deal breaker with us- we wear whatever's required. I think, though, we were the happiest on NCL, where we could concentrate on other things, rather than which suit/tie/shoes to wear each evening. Unlike some people, we're not at all concerned what other people are wearing, unless it's something out of the Walmart videos....:)
Jo.

19 Cruises; 10 ships; 7 lines; 89 ports
jocap
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Dennis The Menace » 24 May 2013 22:04

You've not seen me in my string vest Jo ;-)
Dennis The Menace
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Camela » 24 May 2013 22:21

I enjoy a formal evening. We used to go to 2 or 3 every year when Mr P was working and it's a treat to dress up on a cruise. I agree it's much easier for us girls as a nice cocktail dress suffices. On formal nights on Silversea formal wear is required in some dining venues but not so in others so it isn't necessary for men to take a DJ. I missed having a formal night when we did Windstar but the whole ambiance is informal so it wouldn't fit. I can't imagine doing a cruise without checking in luggage so including our formal wear is not a problem.
"Won't you let me take you on a sea cruise"
Camela
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
England

Postby jsb » 13 Jun 2013 18:02

It's confession time. :oops:
On our recent cruise on the Oceana me and my hubby didn't dress up for either of the 2 formal evenings.
Even though we had taken formal outfits we decided not to bother. On the first night we ate early in the buffet then got our coats on and went walking round the open decks, then on the second night after eating in the buffet we went to the card room to play scrabble.
Feel free to shoot me down in flames, ban me from the forum or deal out any punishment you feel I deserve.
Don't worry be happy.
jsb
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
England

Postby avidcruiser » 13 Jun 2013 18:18

We had many opportunities years ago to dress in formal wear when my husband was working and sometimes, I admit, the frequency of those events was a chore.

Now that that is no longer the case we enjoy and look forward to formal evenings on board, though sometimes there can be just too many even for the avid cruiser, (20 on our world cruise) so we often adjourn to a speciality restaurant.

On one cruise the whole table decided to eat in the buffet on a formal evening, dressed accordingly as we were going along elsewhere later where it was mandatory, we were not the only ones in formal dress.
All my posts and photos are COPYRIGHTED!!

"I have a little shadow that goes in and out with me!"
KEEP CALM AND CRUISE ON

avidcruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Wales

PreviousNext

Return to Polls