Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Have you been on a ship when Norovirus has been present?

Have you been on a ship when Norovirus has been present?

Have you been on a cruise ship when Norovirus has been present?

No
22%
Yes, and I was affected
11%
Yes, I wasn't affected but others in my group were
No votes
Yes, and no one in my group was affected
67%

Total votes : 9

Postby Wansbrough » 06 Oct 2013 16:08

Following a suggestion from Tiggy, I have provided a another poll which is worded differently from the one I posted yesterday. :D

Here is a link to the earlier poll Have you ever come down with a Norovirus type bug while on a cruise ship?
Wansbrough
Bar Steward
Bar Steward

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Dave » 06 Oct 2013 16:23

We were informed of a 'Red level' alert on Ventura but we weren't affected. We weren't allowed to serve ourselves at the buffet for a couple of days on Celebration and we only assumed there was an outbreak because it wasn't mentioned.
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Have you been on a ship when Norovirus has been present?

Postby Peka » 06 Oct 2013 16:30

:lol:

Well, I haven't voted yet, as ..ahem... erm... maybe my option isn't there. I don't think there was an "outbreak" maybe there could have been an individual case or two, but that could be on any cruise to be fair :think:

My vote would be I have travelled on the first cruise after an outbreak... had to wait for the boarding while deep clean team took place etc.

But we all lived to tell the tale and were all fine. It was a charter of the ship that the norovirus had occurred and apparently things had been done a bit differently on board, as they had bought in some of their own people so it wasn't up to usually high standards ;) the crew weren't too impressed with how things was operated for that cruise :roll: :lol: thankfully normal service resumed for our cruise.

I remember that they bought on these Bulgarian girls (why their nationality has anything to do with I don't know :lol:) but they between the eight of them, I think it, was kept the stair rails sparkling all cruise, whenever you went up and down you saw them, every day. :mrgreen:
Peka

Peka
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Tiggy » 06 Oct 2013 17:00

My only experience on Norovirus was on Balmoral (I think it was 2009) and we joined the ship at New York. The next day we were told that some passengers had become infected whilst ashore in New York and brought in on board. We were fine but each day at noon the voice of doom (the cruise director) would announce how many had succumbed, how many were released from quarantine and total affected. :(
Unfortunately we also missed three ports of call on the east coast of Canada because of the weather. Some said we weren't allowed in because of the virus. An environmental health officer boarded the ship in Halifax NS and because the next three stops were cancelled he wasn't able to get off the ship until we arrived in Cobh! :lol:
We had a free bar on the ship one night to cheer us up for missing so many ports.
I think Dave and Fred were on this cruise and got off when we got on in NY.
We enjoyed ourselves despite all the mishaps. :D
Tiggy
Tiggy
Chief Purrser
Chief Purrser

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby grannyM » 06 Oct 2013 17:25

Well since you asked - yes, on Grand Princess in April 2010. I heard whispers for a couple of days about passengers being sick. Nothing was announced until we were leaving Gibraltar for 2 sea days until home to Southampton. It was Code Red for the rest of the cruise, which was absolutely fine. What was not fine was walking through corridors where cabins and lifts were being fumigated and the crew were quite rightly covered from head to toe with overalls and with masks but we were not!

For the rest of the cruise the count went up dramatically and unfortunately the Captain, who we had heard very little from throughout the cruise, was trying to tell us it was a minor outbreak. You tried not to be too critical but quite frankly it was not handled very well at all. When we docked at S'ton there were a couple of ambulances waiting and our coach was delayed because a 'missing' passenger had actually been taken to hospital in one of them but no one had told the coach driver. My husband had had quite severe symptoms the day before and was really worried about travelling back to Glasgow on a coach. Thankfully he was ok but there were others on that coach who were not so it was a bit of a nightmare.

The thing that really annoyed me was that despite a supposedly 'deep clean' the next cruise had an even higher number of passengers affected. There were a lot of bad reviews of that particular cruise and the Captain was replaced after it. In my opinion there is absolutely no way they should be boarding new passengers onto a ship so quickly after such an outbreak. :o
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby Dave » 06 Oct 2013 17:30

Tiggy wrote:...
I think Dave and Fred were on this cruise and got off when we got on in NY.

We were indeed on the same cruise but only from Southampton to Montreal. I actually camped outside the Future Cruise office to get in first to see if we could continue on the second leg to New York, but I wanted a better bargain than was offered. :(
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby khkate » 06 Oct 2013 18:12

Although we have only been affected personally on 1 cruise (but only affected after we got home, but no doubt picked the bug up whilst on board), we have been on board ships that have definitely had the bug. It really only seems to have been in the last 2-3 years that ships (and cruise lines) acjknowledge and publicise the presence of the norovirus. Before that it seemed to be kept under wraps and passengers only advised that some passengers (or performers) have been confined to cabin due to illness, but not saying what it is.

I certainly agree that ships that do suffer a major outbreak on a cruise should have the deep cleaning done and then have at least 48 hours of the ships being quarantined in port. It may disrupt shipping schedules, and upset passengers whose holidays are being affected. However, there have ben occasions on several lines when a cruise gets a major outbreak, all the passengers disembark, a major deep clean is done and a new batch of passengers embark - and then the next cruise also suffers an outbreak with at least as many, if not more passengers affected. This indicates to me that the deep clean has not removed the contamination.
CRUISES BOOKED:
Spirit of Discovery - Dec 2020, Dec 2021
Spirit of Adventure - September 2020, March 2021, June 2021, October 2021
khkate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral