Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Ben Mills (from X-Factor) on Celebrity Eclipse

Ben Mills (from X-Factor) on Celebrity Eclipse

Postby Dave » 31 May 2015 18:20

I've never seen X-Factor but I'd heard of Ben Mills because he's local. Well, sort of, he's from Broadstairs in Kent and I remember the excitement about him getting to the final of X-Factor a few years ago, although I gather he was beaten by Leona Lewis. :(

Even though I'd never heard Ben Mills sing, I hadn't expected to like him because I don't usually like contemporary solo pop stars. How wrong I was - he was absolutely brilliant!

Ben performed with the ship's band (who proved to be a great backing group) and he played piano and guitar. He performed just one song from his album and the rest were covers. His voice has been described as 'gravelly' and the singers he covered were perfectly chosen: Joe Cocker, Rod Stewart, Chris Farlowe (we oldies remember him!) and similar. Ben also did non-gravelly songs such as Hey Jude (the encore) amazingly well. He really does have a great voice.

The performance was absolutely fantastic and we made sure of getting a photo: :D

We also bought a couple of signed copies of his CD, Freedom, for my daughters who are both fans. (I've listened to it and it's really good!) :thumbup:

Just in case you don't know who Ben Mills is, or if you've forgotten, here is a clip of him doing a well-known Brian Adams song on X-Factor:

He says that he performs on a lot of cruises so, if you get the chance, don't miss him! 8-)
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Jimmy the One » 31 May 2015 19:03

Thanks for that Dave I remember seeing him on X Factor thought he was excellent need to look out for his CD :D
Im just a soul whose intentions are good Oh lord please dont let me be misunderstood

Jimmy the One
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Re: Ben Mills (from X-Factor) on Celebrity Eclipse

Postby sevenseascoaster » 31 May 2015 21:39

He was on our cruise too and was thoroughly enjoyed :) Hope he gets a big break soon.
Wen

Tried 19 different Ships and many many cruises, and hopefully more to come!
I haven't been everywhere, but its on my list!
sevenseascoaster
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby tomvet » 31 May 2015 21:47

I remember on X factor too but crikey has he been around as long as Leona Lewis. That was almost 10 years ago - 2006 to be precise :shock: :shock:
October 19 - A-ROSA Luna - Lyon- Viviers - Arles - Avignon - Vienne - Lyon
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby Dave » 31 May 2015 21:50

tomvet wrote:I remember on X factor too but crikey has he been around as long as Leona Lewis. That was almost 10 years ago - 2006 to be precise :shock: :shock:

His hair hasn't changed in 10 years. Then again, neither has mine. 8-)
Dave

Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby grannyM » 03 Jun 2015 20:28

As I don't watch X-Factor I had never heard of him so I do wish he had been performing on Caribbean Princess then I wouldn't have had to have the long drawn out conversation with a very inebriated woman who was trying to remember his name when requesting a record from the DJ in the Disco. :roll:
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby dst87 » 03 Jun 2015 21:40

I don't watch much of X-factor and other similar shows, but the name/face do ring a bell.

As long as you enjoyed it, that's the main thing. I've seen some cracking entertainment on a cruise... and some dreadful entertainment too!!
Duncan S

Upcoming cruises:
09/16 - MSC Splendida (Northern Europe)

Previous cruises: See my blog!
dst87
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby Mungo » 03 Jun 2015 21:53

Seems he's doing a fair few cruises!

Plus will be in his home town - which is also mine - during Folk Week in August. :D

Have seen him around town on occasions........ Usually loading/unloading his gear at venues. :mrgreen:

List of where he will be on this link.........

http://www.benmillsonline.co.uk/gigs_060415.shtml
Aurora and Ventura October 2019
Britannia March 2020
Iona July 2020
Arcadia December 2020
Mungo
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Dave » 03 Jun 2015 22:22

Mungo wrote:Seems he's doing a fair few cruises!

Plus will be in his home town - which is also mine - during Folk Week in August. :D

Have seen him around town on occasions........ Usually loading/unloading his gear at venues. :mrgreen:

List of where he will be on this link.........

http://www.benmillsonline.co.uk/gigs_060415.shtml

Thanks for the link Sue. I see he's playing in Chestfield at the end of the month - here! - about 15 minutes walk away. :D

Dave

Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Return to Music