Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Any Mikado / G&S fans?

Any Mikado / G&S fans?

Any Mikado / G&S fans?

Postby dst87 » 06 Jun 2016 22:33

octocruiser wrote:Come, come, Duncan . You are but a youngster. My OH despite advancing years and diminishing memory powers can still sing along and quote it verbatim, along with many of the other G&S lyrics. I can even get through a bit of it myself.

G & S have long been firm favourites of his and we have sat through many performances in a number of venues including the Savoy.

I am delighted to hear tnat you do appreciate this genre. The lyrics are so very clever, a satirical commentary on contempory politics which still has resonance today. For me the words are all important , although it is amazing how even minor amateur productions manage to find the costumes to do justice to the originals.

You're quite right - I could manage it if I put the effort in! It's on my to-do list now! ;)

I enjoy the lyrics, though I often find them difficult to hear and understand if I don't know them in advance (I find this true for all musicals, not just G&S stuff). Having the surtitles was great during this performance for the off bit that I hadn't caught before (though I know most of the songs very well).

I do worry that in time my generation will have very little interest in this sort of show and demand will dry up such that professional productions are no longer available. I hope now, but the language can be challenging for those not willing to look at historical context and put in a little but of work. Of course as you know the reward is when you realise how funny, witty, and clever the dialogue actually is!
Duncan S

Upcoming cruises:
09/16 - MSC Splendida (Northern Europe)

Previous cruises: See my blog!
dst87
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
Scotland

Any Mikado / G&S fans?

Postby octocruiser » 06 Jun 2016 22:43

Mungo wrote:
octocruiser wrote:
judgegeoff wrote:When I was a young child, in the early 1950s, my parents used to take me to the Manchester Opera House to attend the D'Oyly Carte Gilbert and Sullivan Operettas. I enjoyed them then and I enjoy them now, particularly as (unlike Traditional Opera) they are performed in English.

"I am the very model of a modern Major General.....tra la lah"

They have just had a question on Eggheads about this :D

What is the name given to songs such as the Major General's song which rely on the fast singing of long strings of words ?

I didn't have a clue but guessed tne right answer when tne options came up.

Anyone know without the options ? ;)

Is it a patter?

It is indeed - go to the top of tne class ;)
octocruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Any Mikado / G&S fans?

Postby grannyM » 07 Jun 2016 07:46

octocruiser wrote:
Mungo wrote:
Is it a patter?

It is indeed - go to the top of tne class ;)

Well done Sue. :clap:

I didn't know this until I looked it up to confirm my guess was wrong. :)
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Re: Any Mikado / G&S fans?

Postby jocap » 08 Jun 2016 19:38

Yes, know many G&S lyrics and music... enjoyed some professional companies, and cringed at some amateur ones...even taken part in some of those.
I know that people choose to perform G&S works with amateur choirs, but they're actually quite difficult, and more subtle than many groups realise. Just belting out the rumpty tumpty music and thinking you've done a good job isn't enough.
Still, whatever brings pleasure to audience and participants... Cannot beat Doyle Carte for the highest standards.
Jo.

19 Cruises; 10 ships; 7 lines; 89 ports
jocap
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Any Mikado / G&S fans?

Postby octocruiser » 09 Jul 2016 05:42

I am reviving this thread as it may be of interest to other G & S fans, particularly those living within easy reach of Harrogate.

Having recenty done a Morecambe and Wise tribute break with partial success I now have something else lined up that I hope E will enjoy.
He has always enjoyed Gilbert and Sullivan and can still sing every word of some of the comedy patter songs. He also keeps up and enjoys some other singing activity.
I was browsing t'internet for easy breaks with a cultural interest and was amazed to find that they have an annual G&S festival in Harrogate in August - three weeks of it !!

http://gsfestivals.org/content/2016-programme
Dd
I have booked a trip for 8 days August 13th to August 20th. I first found a Saga package trip there but it was sold out. But then I found there were still plenty of concert tickets so I rooted around and found that Shearings do Yorkshire trips and use their own hotel in Harrogate which is right opposite the theatre.

http://www.coastandcountryhotels.com/our-hotels/the-st-george-hotel-harrogate

We have a package of coach and hotel door to door and I have bought the concert tickets for six shows online.

We shall see Pirates, Gondoliers, Mikado and Iolanthe as well as the less often performed The Sorcerer - My name is John Wellington Wells, I'm a dealer in magic and spells .......

The sixth is also the less often performed triple programme of short operettas - Box and Cox, Trial by Jury and the Zoo. I have never seen The Zoo but have seen most of the others several times but not recently. It would have been nice to get the full house and include Pinafore, but it did not fit in with the dates.

By staying for the full week I was able to select the better known operettas and was still able to get front row of Dress Circle for each of them. There is also a full programme of fringe activities that don't need to be pre booked.

http://gsfestivals.org/content/wednesday-3rd-august-2016-0

There are three tours out in the coach included in the package but we shall probably skip those.

I was happy to pay £30 extra to have front seats on the coach there and back as they were still vacant. Sadly, I couldn't get an upgraded hotel room although I am going to have another try by ringing the hotel direct. It may be best to travel without high expectations of the hotel. There are mixed Tripadvisor reviews, although some people say very nice things about it. I am just happy that it couldn't be closer to the Royal Theatre and the complex round which the activities are centred which will make life a lot more leisurely.

I am a little sad that these activities are no real substitute for cruising - and certainly comparatively more expensive even than Saga but it is good to be able to find holidays that fit in with our changing circumstances.
octocruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Any Mikado / G&S fans?

Postby grannyM » 09 Jul 2016 17:30

So glad you have managed to book something both you and Eric will enjoy Kath. :thumbup:

Hopefully the hotel will be better than expected but I'm sure the concerts will compensate for any less than satisfactory accommodation. :D
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby tomvet » 09 Jul 2016 19:42

Delighted Kath that you and Eric are finding an alternative way of holidaying particularly when you have found something 'niche' that you both will enjoy. I am sure the hotel will be fine and that you will enjoy the performances.
October 19 - A-ROSA Luna - Lyon- Viviers - Arles - Avignon - Vienne - Lyon
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby jocap » 09 Jul 2016 20:35

That sounds like a great treat... the trips out might be good, as they'll probably touch the coast and also the Yorkshire Dales.
Good for you!
Jo.

19 Cruises; 10 ships; 7 lines; 89 ports
jocap
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby octocruiser » 09 Jul 2016 21:19

jocap wrote:That sounds like a great treat... the trips out might be good, as they'll probably touch the coast and also the Yorkshire Dales.
Good for you!

I am sure they would be, but we will see how it goes.

They are listed as

Tour and tasting at Wesleydale Creamery, plus Black sheep brewery.

Discover the historic City of York

Visit delightful Knaresborough.

The priority is the G&S so I have bought the tickets for those shows. I don' t yet have the full details for the excursions but the timings may not fit in.

We'll see. Our daughter may also come over from Durham and visit together with our gorgeous great granddaughter who is now two and we wouldn't want to miss that ;) We don't get to see her very often

image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
octocruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Any Mikado / G&S fans?

Postby Trace » 09 Jul 2016 22:14

Kath, your granddaughter is beautiful, I know how you must miss seeing her, I am lucky I see my grandchildren at least 5 days a week.. Then miss them on the 2 I don't.

As regards to Harrogate.. Love the place, we always try have at least 4 weekends a year there, stayed at lots of different hotels. ( our favourite is the Studley) have passed the hotel you have booked but not stayed there.. Looks nice tho (I had a peep through windows one time when walking past late at night ( to hubbys embarrassment)
Tracey :-)
Trace
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

PreviousNext

Return to Music