Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Any Mikado / G&S fans?

Any Mikado / G&S fans?

Re: Any Mikado / G&S fans?

Postby tomvet » 09 Jul 2016 23:30

I know, this may be easier said than done, but I would try to do the tours only if for a change of scenery, diversion and somewhere different to have a coffee and cake.
October 19 - A-ROSA Luna - Lyon- Viviers - Arles - Avignon - Vienne - Lyon
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby octocruiser » 10 Jul 2016 02:41

tomvet wrote:I know, this may be easier said than done, but I would try to do the tours only if for a change of scenery, diversion and somewhere different to have a coffee and cake.

Yes, my love, I know you cannot bear to leave a moment unused ;) but it is actually counterproductive for us to try to fit in too much. We do need a bit more rest than youngsters ;)

I have deliberately booked some of the shows as matinees and others in the evening and there are also some daytime fringe events that look interesting, so time slots may not line up and we shall enjoy spending some time in Harrogate itself and I believe it is obligatory to visit Betty's or your passport is revoked. :lol: We have been there before but not for a long time - likewise York.

We rarely do full day trips nowadays for the same reason. If my daughter comes over we shall probably do a shorter run out with them. We did spend a bit of time in tbe Dales with them last year when we were oop Norf.
octocruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Any Mikado / G&S fans?

Postby octocruiser » 10 Jul 2016 03:22

Trace wrote:Kath, your granddaughter is beautiful, I know how you must miss seeing her, I am lucky I see my grandchildren at least 5 days a week.. Then miss them on the 2 I don't.

As regards to Harrogate.. Love the place, we always try have at least 4 weekends a year there, stayed at lots of different hotels. ( our favourite is the Studley) have passed the hotel you have booked but not stayed there.. Looks nice tho (I had a peep through windows one time when walking past late at night ( to hubbys embarrassment)

Olivia is our great granddaughter ! Most of our grandchildren are in their 20s and a couple of them are 30 . ;)

Interesting tnat you took a peep in the window of the St George - a girl after my own heart :thumbup: The photos of the interiors of the public rooms do look smart and comfortable. However, one Tripadvisor review said ' Do not be fooled by the downstairs - all the money has been spent down tnere and the rooms do not match them'

I do treat online reviews with caution. I tried again to book at least a renovated room although all the premier / superior rooms are fully booked (surprising as there is quite a hefty extra charge for them. ) The hotel seems to be very busy then , although it may not be for the whole week. Some of the coach parties are only there for 3 or 4 days. I have now paid £10 to be given a room number in advance. Only unrenovated rooms are left but it has shower rather than bath and is in the quieter part of the hotel, which Tripadvisor critics claim overlook the car park, bins and fire escape :o I suppose someone has to be put in them :lol: The ones at the front / side appear to be subject to late night rowdiness from a night club . Better take our earplugs in case :lol:
The room is 109 . I can't find it specifically mentioned on the long list of rooms to be avoided on TA , although 107 and 108 get the OK.
The principle thing for me is a comfortable mattress and they don't do mattress toppers . :lol: I am sure it will all be great fun :clap:
octocruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby dst87 » 10 Jul 2016 09:29

This sounds like a wonderful event. Perhaps one for me to consider for another year!

I have actually stayed at the St. George Hotel in Harrogate, though I fear my experience will not be much use as it was probably close to 20 years ago when I was about 8! It seemed OK then, but what did I know? :lol: :lol:

I hope you have a wonderful time, and let us know all about it :)
Duncan S

Upcoming cruises:
09/16 - MSC Splendida (Northern Europe)

Previous cruises: See my blog!
dst87
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby octocruiser » 10 Jul 2016 09:55

dst87 wrote:This sounds like a wonderful event. Perhaps one for me to consider for another year!

I have actually stayed at the St. George Hotel in Harrogate, though I fear my experience will not be much use as it was probably close to 20 years ago when I was about 8! It seemed OK then, but what did I know? :lol: :lol:

I hope you have a wonderful time, and let us know all about it :)

We have not focussed much on UK activities for several years because our leisure time has been spent cruising and going abroad. Possibly this is why this event had passed us by. It has been running for several years now and was originally held in Buxton.

I imagine your experience of St George would be prior to it being taken over by Shearings for mainly coach parties - although it can be booked independent of coach travel. It seems to have an ideal location for our purpose.

Not having used UK hotels very much over some years I am not up to speed with pricing. We are paying £960 for 7 nights half board including coach travel return from home plus 3 included sightseeing coach tours. We also bought cancellation insurance - (£37 each ) which I thought sounded a bit steep but have not yet had the policy so don't know what it covers.

I rather think that relative to the whole cruising experience that is a tad on the high side , even compared to Saga , but is probably cheap for UK so cannot expect too much. You have to bear in mind relative expectations and tolerance levels when looking at Tripadvisor reviews. Something would have to be pretty dire to allow it to spoil my holiday once I am there.

Show tickets are mostly £34 for best seats - no senior discount, although half price for children. Students on last minute standby can get £5 tickets at door. Some fringe events are free , some have a nominal charge.
octocruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby jocap » 11 Jul 2016 19:28

It all sounds good- yes, you have to visit Betty's and try a fat rascal...
Knaresborough is just next door to Harrogate, but has some steep climbs up to the castle from the river side... the Dropping Well, where articles turn to stone, was bought up by Paul Daniels at one time.
The Wensleydale cheese place is right in the heart of Wensleydale, near Hawes.. and the Black Sheep brewery is at Masham, not far from Ripon- it was started up by one of the Old Peculier brewer brothers when their brewery was bought up by a big multi national.
All interesting enough, but as you say, there's plenty happening in Harrogate, and with a chance to see your family- well, you'll decide when you're there!
It's a natural stamping ground of ours, when we were based in Northallerton.
Jo.

19 Cruises; 10 ships; 7 lines; 89 ports
jocap
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby octocruiser » 11 Jul 2016 21:42

[[
jocap wrote:It all sounds good- yes, you have to visit Betty's and try a fat rascal...

Knaresborough is just next door to Harrogate, but has some steep climbs up to the castle from the river side... the Dropping Well, where articles turn to stone, was bought up by Paul Daniels at one time.
The Wensleydale cheese place is right in the heart of Wensleydale, near Hawes.. and the Black Sheep brewery is at Masham, not far from Ripon- it was started up by one of the Old Peculier brewer brothers when their brewery was bought up by a big multi national.
All interesting enough, but as you say, there's plenty happening in Harrogate, and with a chance to see your family- well, you'll decide when you're there!
It's a natural stamping ground of ours, when we were based in Northallerton.

Thanks for that. Some of the places you mention are familiar to us. We saw Fat Rascals but didn't sample them at the Angels Pantry shop on the site of the old railway station at Richmond a couple of years ago.! It was the station where E alighted to start his National Service training at Catterick nearly 70 years ago. We had coffee pretty well on the spot where he would have stepped down from the train! We followed part of the route of the imminent Tour de Yorkshire that day and visted the Dales National Park centre.

My daughter's FiL lives at Masham and we visited for coffee last year after all having met up for lunch out together nearby.

Added to all the possible activity our beloved G/ s has lived in York for the last 10 years or so . I am not sure if we will be able to arrange a meeting with him up there as he will be in tne throes of packing up for his move to Qatar. It could be on the cards, though. Or he may be coming down here before he leaves. Either way he can't be allowed to go without big hugs and kisses from us.

image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
octocruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Previous

Return to Music