Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Musical Theatre

Musical Theatre

Musical Theatre

Postby JollyJill » 04 Apr 2014 08:41

As we don't have a a section specifically for theatre (we can't have an area for everything I guess), I thought I would put this under music.
I love going into London, which for me is a free 35 minute train journey. Apart from meeting both my daughters for a meal fairly frequently, we also like to go to see a musical show. I even manage to twist Plunky's arm to come to theatre with me now and again, although he prefers to see a play.

In the past 3 weeks I have seen 3 shows. One was a Birthday treat from Plunky, another was at the request of Stan and May during their weekend visit down south for the Meet Your Mates gathering and last night was a Birthday present from one of my daughters.

The first was Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, which I thought was a very clever adaptation of Roald Dhal's classic book. I loved every minute of it. The Lion King, which was May's choice, was a fourth time for me but as I hadn't seen it for a few years, still managed to be reduced to tears by the music and spectacular animal costumes- if you fancy a London show if you are down this way, then I would thoroughly recommend it. Finally, last night I saw Matilda. Another musical adaptation of one of Roald Dhal's stories which for me and my daughter proved to be a bit of a disappointment. The music was not memorable and whilst we enjoyed it to a point, it isn't a show that I would pay to see again.

London theatre tickets are expensive these days and whilst my daughters and I used to book stall tickets, at a cost of £90 plus per ticket, now book balcony seats. It amazes me that despite the cost, each of the 3 shows I've seen recently, all of which attract families, were being played to a full house.

Despite the 'recession' people still flock to the theatre, which is an expensive night out if you are taking the kids.

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Musical Theatre

Postby tobysgranny » 04 Apr 2014 11:50

I absolutely love musical theatre. WE are going to see Singing In The Rain at The Theatre Royal. Plymouth in June. The whole family are going, depending on when new baby decides to come. (It is due June 11th and we are going on the 26th I think). We are really lucky here in Plymouth to have such a good modern theatre with some fantastic shows. Over the years we have seen some wonderful shows. There is also a smaller theatre called The Drum in the same building where smaller productions are shown and often some amateaur productions. The Lion King has just been on recently, but I was to slow to book tickets. Tickets for Wicked have just gone on sale, byut I'm not sur that is my cup of tea.

Joan
Queen Victoria Nov. 2018.
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Re: Musical Theatre

Postby Hannah » 04 Apr 2014 12:14

I too love the theatre and have seen loads of productions with family and friends over the years. We to have seen Lion King and loved it. Have even been to Dublin to see a show, Blues Bros I think from memory for my 50th. The next show booked is Thriller which is being shown in the Theatre Royal in Newcastle a lovely traditional theatre, in June. London is a favourite pastime but we usually book last minute on the day now and get a cheapie. It's always an enjoyable day and usually spent celebrating a special occasion. We always go to the shows in the evening on a cruise. Love ballet as well but can't get away with opera. I see our local lovingly restored art deco cinema is now showing special ballet productions which I haven't tried - yet!
ImageImage
Hannah
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Hannah » 04 Apr 2014 12:54

PS also enjoy concerts have seen loads of groups over the years, yes they are dear but once a year or so is fine but only go to see a group or individual if I really like their music. From memory have seen: The Moody Blues, Yes, The Corrs, Texas, Oasis, Coldplay, Dionne Warwick, Diana Ross,Status Quo, Mud,Roxy Music sure there are more but can't think of them all as has spanned several years.I know there are plenty of groups out there I'd like to see. Also enjoyed Riverdance and Lord of the Dance, always came out wanting to learn how to do it!! We always took the children to see live shows and pantos when they were little so they could enjoy the experience. Little grandaughter now to take in the future?
ImageImage
Hannah
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Musical Theatre

Postby JollyJill » 04 Apr 2014 13:33

tobysgranny wrote:I absolutely love musical theatre. WE are going to see Singing In The Rain at The Theatre Royal. Plymouth in June. The whole family are going, depending on when new baby decides to come. (It is due June 11th and we are going on the 26th I think). We are really lucky here in Plymouth to have such a good modern theatre with some fantastic shows. Over the years we have seen some wonderful shows. There is also a smaller theatre called The Drum in the same building where smaller productions are shown and often some amateaur productions. The Lion King has just been on recently, but I was to slow to book tickets. Tickets for Wicked have just gone on sale, byut I'm not sur that is my cup of tea.

Joan

For what it's worth Joan, I saw Wicked a couple of years ago. I honestly can't remember much about it which tells me that it couldn't have been my cup of tea either.

Oddly enough, I am going to a Rock choir workshop tomorrow and our Choir Master has hired someone from the show because we will be doing 'For Good', which is one of the songs from Wicked. The other one is 'Don't Rain on My Parade' from Funny Girl'. What a pity Barbra Streisand wasn't free. ;) :lol:

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Dennis The Menace » 04 Apr 2014 19:37

I'm one of those rare breed of heterosexual men ;-) who love a musical Jill and regularly used to take Mandy up to London to see one. London is a bit beyond me these days but we do get along to the more local touring versions quite often (absolutely loved the touring Lion king). I'm just hoping the Jersey Boys will tour soon as Mandy has been has been up to see it with her mates and says it is fantastic. Just hope the little American fella is still in by then.
Dennis The Menace
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Musical Theatre

Postby tobysgranny » 04 Apr 2014 19:58

JollyJill wrote:
tobysgranny wrote:I absolutely love musical theatre. WE are going to see Singing In The Rain at The Theatre Royal. Plymouth in June. The whole family are going, depending on when new baby decides to come. (It is due June 11th and we are going on the 26th I think). We are really lucky here in Plymouth to have such a good modern theatre with some fantastic shows. Over the years we have seen some wonderful shows. There is also a smaller theatre called The Drum in the same building where smaller productions are shown and often some amateaur productions. The Lion King has just been on recently, but I was to slow to book tickets. Tickets for Wicked have just gone on sale, byut I'm not sur that is my cup of tea.

Joan

For what it's worth Joan, I saw Wicked a couple of years ago. I honestly can't remember much about it which tells me that it couldn't have been my cup of tea either.

Oddly enough, I am going to a Rock choir workshop tomorrow and our Choir Master has hired someone from the show because we will be doing 'For Good', which is one of the songs from Wicked. The other one is 'Don't Rain on My Parade' from Funny Girl'. What a pity Barbra Streisand wasn't free. ;) :lol:

I don't think I'll be booking Wicked then Jill! I don't know 'For Good', but I do love 'Don't Rain On My Parade'. I bet that's great to sing.

Joan

I
Queen Victoria Nov. 2018.
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby Toongirl » 06 Apr 2014 19:46

I like the theatre too, although I prefer plays to musicals. However, I do have a few favourite musicals: West Side Story, Miss Saigon etc. I'm going to see War Horse in May. The Lion King is touring but the tickets were expensive and as I would have had to pay for 4 I decided against it. Not sure I made the right decision!
I was going to treat my daughter and take her to see Michael Buble in Newcastle but decent seats were £83.00 and although I tried to book the middle range ones (£67.00) it was practically sold out on the day the tickets went on sale. I couldn't get 2 seats together anywhere for any price! The costs of going to the theatre or a concert are getting astronomical. i took my daughter to see Evita recently and the tickets in the circle were about £40.00 which was more reasonable.
Toongirl
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Musical Theatre

Postby JollyJill » 06 Apr 2014 20:00

I don't think I'll be booking Wicked then Jill! I don't know 'For Good', but I do love 'Don't Rain On My Parade'. I bet that's great to sing.

Well Joan, we spent 3 out of our 4 hours learning 'For Good', in readiness for our guest Cassidy Jenson to sing with us when she arrived.
The song is a dirge and was difficult to learn in all the harmony parts. To say that I didn't like it is an understatement. :(

By the time she arrived and we got 'For Good' out of the way, there was no time for 'Don't Rain on My Parade'. :roll:

However, Cassidy was happy to sing it to us because she said that it is a song she often uses for auditions.

All in all though, it was a disappointing afternoon.

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby JollyJill » 06 Apr 2014 20:07

Dennis The Menace wrote:I'm one of those rare breed of heterosexual men ;-) who love a musical Jill and regularly used to take Mandy up to London to see one. London is a bit beyond me these days but we do get along to the more local touring versions quite often (absolutely loved the touring Lion king). I'm just hoping the Jersey Boys will tour soon as Mandy has been has been up to see it with her mates and says it is fantastic. Just hope the little American fella is still in by then.

Jersey Boys is a great show Dennis. I've seen it in London and in NY on Broadway and loved it on both occasions. We took Stan and May to see it when they first started coming down for a few days and they loved it too. In fact, we take them to a musical every year and they always use Jersey Boys as a comparison. I think that I can say that they enjoyed The Lion King as much, even though of course, it is a totally different show.
If you were ever a fan of Frankie Valli and the 4 Seasons, then Jersey Boys is a must. :)

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Next

Return to Music