Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Musical Theatre

Musical Theatre

Re: Musical Theatre

Postby khkate » 06 Apr 2014 21:01

I love musicals too - and Jersey Boys is on my "TO SEE" list. When I was working in London, we went quite regularly as we could get good deals through work - vouchers for 2-for-1 of best availavle seats or 2 top steats for £10. Sqw some really good stuff that way including Wayne Sleep and siome utter rubbish. So agree that going to the theatre has got expensive, even locally - Harlow Playhouse has some good quality shows but the prices are becoming too expensive for regualr visits.
CRUISES BOOKED:
Spirit of Discovery - Oct 2019, Feb 2020, April 2020, August 2020, Dec 2020
Spirit of Adventure - September 2020
khkate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Dennis The Menace » 07 Apr 2014 13:24

JollyJill wrote:
Dennis The Menace wrote:I'm one of those rare breed of heterosexual men ;-) who love a musical Jill and regularly used to take Mandy up to London to see one. London is a bit beyond me these days but we do get along to the more local touring versions quite often (absolutely loved the touring Lion king). I'm just hoping the Jersey Boys will tour soon as Mandy has been has been up to see it with her mates and says it is fantastic. Just hope the little American fella is still in by then.

Jersey Boys is a great show Dennis. I've seen it in London and in NY on Broadway and loved it on both occasions. We took Stan and May to see it when they first started coming down for a few days and they loved it too. In fact, we take them to a musical every year and they always use Jersey Boys as a comparison. I think that I can say that they enjoyed The Lion King as much, even though of course, it is a totally different show.
If you were ever a fan of Frankie Valli and the 4 Seasons, then Jersey Boys is a must. :)

It looks like Jersey Boys is starting to tour in the autumn so, although none of these come close to me, hopefully a longer tour will happen soon after :

Thu 04 - Sat 04
SEP 2014 OCT 2014

Palace Theatre Manchester
Jersey Boys
Manchester

Wed 08 - Sat 25
OCT 2014 OCT 2014

Edinburgh Playhouse
Jersey Boys
Edinburgh

Tue 28 - Sat 08
OCT 2014 NOV 2014
Regent Theatre
Jersey Boys
Stoke-on-Trent

Tue 25 - Sat 06
NOV 2014 DEC 2014

Sunderland Empire
Jersey Boys
Sunderland

Tue 09 - Sun 04
DEC 2014 JAN 2015
New Alexandra Theatre Birmingham
Jersey Boys
Birmingham
Dennis The Menace
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Musical Theatre

Postby tobysgranny » 25 Jun 2014 17:58

Off To See Singing In The Rain tonight at Plymouth's Theatre Royal.

Joan
Queen Victoria Nov. 2018.
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Musical Theatre

Postby JollyJill » 25 Jun 2014 19:16

tobysgranny wrote:Off To See Singing In The Rain tonight at Plymouth's Theatre Royal.

Joan

Lovely. I didn't get around to seeing it in London before it closed. The annoying thing was that it closed to make way for one of Andrew Lloyd Webber's productions- Stephen Ward the Musical, which hasn't had good reviews. :(

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Hannah » 25 Jun 2014 20:35

Am off to see Thriller on saturday at Newcastle Theatre Royal.
ImageImage
Hannah
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Musical Theatre

Postby tobysgranny » 25 Jun 2014 22:49

Just got home from seeing Singing In The Rain. It's a shame you missed it Jill as it was absolutely fantastic. It has go be one of the best musicals I've seen. I could go and watch it all over again tomorrow night.

Joan
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby jsb » 04 Jul 2014 07:51

Dennis The Menace wrote:
JollyJill wrote:
Dennis The Menace wrote:I'm one of those rare breed of heterosexual men ;-) who love a musical Jill and regularly used to take Mandy up to London to see one. London is a bit beyond me these days but we do get along to the more local touring versions quite often (absolutely loved the touring Lion king). I'm just hoping the Jersey Boys will tour soon as Mandy has been has been up to see it with her mates and says it is fantastic. Just hope the little American fella is still in by then.

Jersey Boys is a great show Dennis. I've seen it in London and in NY on Broadway and loved it on both occasions. We took Stan and May to see it when they first started coming down for a few days and they loved it too. In fact, we take them to a musical every year and they always use Jersey Boys as a comparison. I think that I can say that they enjoyed The Lion King as much, even though of course, it is a totally different show.
If you were ever a fan of Frankie Valli and the 4 Seasons, then Jersey Boys is a must. :)

It looks like Jersey Boys is starting to tour in the autumn so, although none of these come close to me, hopefully a longer tour will happen soon after :

Thu 04 - Sat 04
SEP 2014 OCT 2014

Palace Theatre Manchester
Jersey Boys
Manchester

Wed 08 - Sat 25
OCT 2014 OCT 2014

Edinburgh Playhouse
Jersey Boys
Edinburgh

Tue 28 - Sat 08
OCT 2014 NOV 2014
Regent Theatre
Jersey Boys
Stoke-on-Trent

Tue 25 - Sat 06
NOV 2014 DEC 2014

Sunderland Empire
Jersey Boys
Sunderland

Tue 09 - Sun 04
DEC 2014 JAN 2015
New Alexandra Theatre Birmingham
Jersey Boys
Birmingham

I haven't seen the musical but went to see the film yesterday and thought it was really good.
Don't worry be happy.
jsb
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
England

Postby Peka » 14 Jun 2015 11:23

jsb wrote:I haven't seen the musical but went to see the film yesterday and thought it was really good.

I really enjoyed the Jersey Boys film and musical too. Also saw around the same time, Sunshine on Leith the film based around the music of The Proclaimers, which was great

But my current West End favourite has to be Sunny Afternoon 8-) based on The Kinks - that was amazing, I loved every second! :clap: :thumbup: I think probably the best thing I have seen. It is playing in my head 24/7 now :lol:
Peka

Peka
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Musical Theatre

Postby tobysgranny » 14 Jun 2015 16:17

We are booked to see Jersey Boys later in the year in Plymouth. We have front row seats. Christmas gift from my daughter! Really looking forward to it.

Joan
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Musical Theatre

Postby JollyJill » 29 Jul 2015 11:18

Last night I went to see Gypsy at the Savoy theatre in London.

It was one those shows that started slowly but built up to something memorable.

Imelda Staunton was the star and she was absolutely amazing. When she came on to take her bow, everyone stood up to applaud, I didn't see a single person that didn't get up.

I suspect she will win awards for her performance and if she doesn't I was be very surprised.

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

PreviousNext

Return to Music