Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Beautiful

Beautiful

Beautiful

Postby JollyJill » 19 Mar 2015 21:33

As a fan of musical theatre, I was given tickets for the Carole King Musical 'Beautiful' for my Birthday last week by P.

Having seen 'Made in Dagenham' last week with one of my daughters; P came with me today for a matinee show of 'Beautiful'.

If you like Carole King's music, then you will like this show based on her life and music- it really is excellent.

You might think that you don't know her music but when I tell you that her first hit was 'It Might as Well Rain until September', which was written when she was only 16, you will know who I mean.
She also wrote 'Up on the Roof', 'Will you Still Love Me tomorrow?', One Fine day, The Locomotion, 'You've Lost that Loving Feeling', to name but a few.

Here is a trailer

and here is a trailer for 'Made in Dagenham' although it is apparently finishing soon.

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Beautiful

Postby Mungo » 19 Mar 2015 22:13

Both look good Jill. :D

My sister and I are taking Mum to see Top Hat at the Marlowe Canterbury next month. :mrgreen:

Aurora and Ventura October 2019
Britannia March 2020
Iona July 2020
Arcadia December 2020
Mungo
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Beautiful

Postby Camela » 19 Mar 2015 22:19

I love Carole King, a lot of her songs, along with her erstwhile husband Gerry Goffin, were the soundtrack to the sixties. Thanks for the recommendation Jill.
"Won't you let me take you on a sea cruise"
Camela
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
England

Beautiful

Postby JollyJill » 19 Mar 2015 22:27

Mungo wrote:Both look good Jill. :D

My sister and I are taking Mum to see Top Hat at the Marlowe Canterbury next month. :mrgreen:

We saw 'Top Hat' in London when Tom Chambers was in it. It was fabulous; in fact, P thought it one of the best shows he had ever seen.
The sad thing is that the only reason that the show finished in London was because Andrew Lloyd Webber wanted that theatre (The Aldwych) to put on his new production 'Stephen Ward', which subsequently bombed. :roll:
I have never been a Lloyd Webber fan.

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Hannah » 20 Mar 2015 12:01

Didn't know there was a musical about her. Got her Tapestry LP still in vinyl.
ImageImage
Hannah
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby JollyJill » 20 Mar 2015 12:04

Hannah wrote:Didn't know there was a musical about her. Got her Tapestry LP still in vinyl.

The show included her recording 'Tapestry' when she moved from New York to L.A.

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Beautiful

Postby Wansbrough » 06 May 2015 22:30

JollyJill wrote:As a fan of musical theatre, I was given tickets for the Carole King Musical 'Beautiful' for my Birthday last week by P.

Having seen 'Made in Dagenham' last week with one of my daughters; P came with me today for a matinee show of 'Beautiful'.

If you like Carole King's music, then you will like this show based on her life and music- it really is excellent.

You might think that you don't know her music but when I tell you that her first hit was 'It Might as Well Rain until September', which was written when she was only 16, you will know who I mean.
She also wrote 'Up on the Roof', 'Will you Still Love Me tomorrow?', One Fine day, The Locomotion, 'You've Lost that Loving Feeling', to name but a few.

We have booked this today. Really looking forward to it.
Wansbrough
Bar Steward
Bar Steward

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Beautiful

Postby JollyJill » 06 May 2015 22:42

Wansbrough wrote:
JollyJill wrote:As a fan of musical theatre, I was given tickets for the Carole King Musical 'Beautiful' for my Birthday last week by P.

We have booked this today. Really looking forward to it.

Are you coming to London to see it?

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Beautiful

Postby tobysgranny » 07 May 2015 02:59

Like you Jill I'm a great fan of musical theatre and Beautiful sounds right up my street as i'm a great Carole King fan. It is one show I will try and see when we get back home. It's a shame it's not coming to Plymouth. Top Hat is in Plymouth this week and is getting good reviews. I knew we would be having a busy week so I didn't get tickets. Wish I had now.

We have, however, booked for Jersey Boys when the show comes to Plymouth later in the year. Looking forward to that.

Joan
Queen Victoria Nov. 2018.
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Beautiful

Postby Wansbrough » 07 May 2015 06:22

JollyJill wrote:Are you coming to London to see it?

Yes.
Wansbrough
Bar Steward
Bar Steward

National Flag:
United Kingdom