Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Duncan's Honeymoon Blog

Duncan's Honeymoon Blog

This area is for 'digital postcards' sent by members while on a cruise. Let your Cruising Mates know what they're missing!

Duncan's Honeymoon Blog

Postby grannyM » 17 Sep 2015 17:38

Boo Hoo! I'm sad too not only for you two but for us who have thoroughly enjoyed sharing your cruise.

It's been an absolutely pleasure thank you once again for all of it. It was a great video diary and a wonderful chance to see what Anthem is like. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Duncan's Honeymoon Blog

Postby Trace » 17 Sep 2015 18:01

grannyM wrote:Boo Hoo! I'm sad too not only for you two but for us who have thoroughly enjoyed sharing your cruise.

It's been an absolutely pleasure thank you once again for all of it. It was a great video diary and a wonderful chance to see what Anthem is like. :clap: :clap: :clap:

I agree with every word Marie, it has been fabulous. I love the look of this ship, hubby and I would have fun in the robotic bar.

Thankyou from me too, Duncan and Alex :)
Tracey :-)
Trace
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Duncan's Honeymoon Blog

Postby tomvet » 17 Sep 2015 19:00

Bernie Flint - was he not an institution that won opportunity knocks some crazy number of weeks in a row? I barely remember him!

As regards kids of today having it easier than kids of yesteryear - it is so true - just suck it up! You have no idea of living in a time when folk just did without because there were more pressing needs for hard earned dosh!
October 19 - A-ROSA Luna - Lyon- Viviers - Arles - Avignon - Vienne - Lyon
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby Hannah » 17 Sep 2015 19:15

I also echo Marie's sentiments and look forward to the next one. Thanks.
ImageImage
Hannah
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby jocap » 17 Sep 2015 19:19

Thanks for this, D&A...welcome home, and may you both be blessed in the future. x
Jo.

19 Cruises; 10 ships; 7 lines; 89 ports
jocap
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Duncan's Honeymoon Blog

Postby Mungo » 17 Sep 2015 19:32

Duncan and Alex, Thank you so much for sharing your honeymoon cruise! :D

I feel I now know the ship and look forward to trying her for myself in 37 days...... yes I'm counting down! :lol: I even have an idea of what I might have in Silk and Chic! :mrgreen:

Thoroughly enjoyed following your daily adventures and feel somewhat sad you're home. Ooh I spotted the Kelpies! Visited them last August! ;)

Once again a big Thank You! :D
Aurora and Ventura October 2019
Britannia March 2020
Iona July 2020
Arcadia December 2020
Mungo
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby dst87 » 17 Sep 2015 21:33

Thanks everyone for the comments - I'm glad you enjoyed it!

I think Alex and I might do a sort of video review at some point where, with some direction in the form of talking points, we just sit in front of the camera and talk about the cruise and what we thought. Do you think that would be any good / worth doing? If so, let me know if there are any bits you'd like discussed that either I didn't cover or that you'd like covered in more detail!

tomvet wrote:Bernie Flint - was he not an institution that won opportunity knocks some crazy number of weeks in a row? I barely remember him!

As regards kids of today having it easier than kids of yesteryear - it is so true - just suck it up! You have no idea of living in a time when folk just did without because there were more pressing needs for hard earned dosh!

It was more the idea that life was so tough back then and life for people today is so easy. Naturally there was less superfluous spending back then, and accommodations and amenities weren't quite as luxurious, but try leaving school or Uni today and going straight into a job for life with an iron-clad pension scheme that allows you to retire at 55... good luck with that! His humour was that everyone nowadays has it great whereas his generation had a terrible life, but in actual fact different challenges have faced every generation, including the younger generations today!!
Duncan S

Upcoming cruises:
09/16 - MSC Splendida (Northern Europe)

Previous cruises: See my blog!
dst87
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
Scotland

Duncan's Honeymoon Blog

Postby dst87 » 17 Sep 2015 21:35

Mungo wrote:Duncan and Alex, Thank you so much for sharing your honeymoon cruise! :D

I feel I now know the ship and look forward to trying her for myself in 37 days...... yes I'm counting down! :lol: I even have an idea of what I might have in Silk and Chic! :mrgreen:

Thoroughly enjoyed following your daily adventures and feel somewhat sad you're home. Ooh I spotted the Kelpies! Visited them last August! ;)

Once again a big Thank You! :D

You're going to have a marvellous time, I can just tell!

We're lucky to live very close to the Kelpies, and that whole area had been so beautifully redeveloped; it's really lovely!
Duncan S

Upcoming cruises:

dst87
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby tomvet » 17 Sep 2015 21:53

dst87 wrote:Thanks everyone for the comments - I'm glad you enjoyed it!

I think Alex and I might do a sort of video review at some point where, with some direction in the form of talking points, we just sit in front of the camera and talk about the cruise and what we thought. Do you think that would be any good / worth doing? If so, let me know if there are any bits you'd like discussed that either I didn't cover or that you'd like covered in more detail!

tomvet wrote:Bernie Flint - was he not an institution that won opportunity knocks some crazy number of weeks in a row? I barely remember him!

It was more the idea that life was so tough back then and life for people today is so easy. Naturally there was less superfluous spending back then, and accommodations and amenities weren't quite as luxurious, but try leaving school or Uni today and going straight into a job for life with an iron-clad pension scheme that allows you to retire at 55... good luck with that! His humour was that everyone nowadays has it great whereas his generation had a terrible life, but in actual fact different challenges have faced every generation, including the younger generations today!!

You cruise and have every mod con in terms of ICT known to man! If a pension is that much of a concern for you and if you wish to put the feet up at 55, you could plough more of the dosh spent on the good life now into a pension fund! This is a key difference between Mr Flint's generation and current day is that the older generation tended to do without today in case it would be needed tomorrow whereas the current generation tend to spend now and not think too much about the future! I know for one that I am certainly better off than my parents ever were even if they had iron clad pensions!
October 19 - A-ROSA Luna - Lyon- Viviers - Arles - Avignon - Vienne - Lyon
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby dst87 » 17 Sep 2015 22:05

tomvet wrote:You cruise and have every mod con in terms of ICT known to man! If a pension is that much of a concern for you and if you wish to put the feet up at 55, you could plough more of the dosh spent on the good life now into a pension fund! This is a key difference between Mr Flint's generation and current day is that the older generation tended to do without today in case it would be needed tomorrow whereas the current generation tend to spend now and not think too much about the future! I know for one that I am certainly better off than my parents ever were even if they had iron clad pensions!

Don't get me wrong Tom, I'm not complaining about the life Alex and I have. We've been very lucky, and I can assure you we plough significant amounts of money into a private pension... absolutely essential when you're self-employed - who knows how much we'll be able to contribute in 5 years?

But we're not typical 27 year olds! Most of my peers from University are still living in rented accommodation with friends... even those who have started a professional career. The idea that they might be able to afford a house or run a household (even one without children) AND save for their retirement, on one income as many of our parents did is simply inconceivable.

My parents, Alex parents, and many of our friends' parents, were very lucky to go straight into real careers with excellent progression and secure, final salary pensions. These basically don't exist now. They bought their respective houses when they were much cheaper (in comparison to salary) and benefitted from massive growth in home values.

I'm not for a minute saying it was easy or that they didn't have difficulties - of course they did. Interest rates for borrowing were very high, and now that they don't need to borrow they have crap rates on savings. I benefit from very low mortgages rates (just as well given property costs). My only point is that I don't like when people imply that people growing up today have life so easy, while ignoring the benefits they themselves had growing up.

Anyway... a bit off topic! A debate for another time perhaps (and I suspect I'm somewhat outnumbered here... :oops: :shock: :| )
Duncan S

Upcoming cruises:

dst87
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
Scotland

PreviousNext