Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Delphi Archaeological Museum & Ancient Site

Delphi Archaeological Museum & Ancient Site

Postby Dave » 06 Dec 2015 16:43

From our port of call at Itea in Greece, we did an organised excursion to Delphi, home of the Oracle.

The drive from Itea was quite spectacular as the coach climbed ever higher, and the views over vast olive groves and the town beyond were breathtaking. This was one of those excursions where the coach ride was as important as what we were going to see - especially with an extremely informative guide providing a fascinating insight into ancient Greek culture.

I'm not good at describing museums and I rarely take any photos inside, although I took a few on this occasion because there weren't many people around. For anyone interested in the Delphi Archaeological Museum, here's a link to the Wikipedia article! ;)

As you will see from my short slideshow, the museum is just one part of a visit to Delphi. Impressive though the museum is, it was the ancient site itself that we really enjoyed. The site is on the side of a steep hill and covers a huge area. The walk to the top might prove challenging, but it's well worth it to see the arena - and, of course, the views.

Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Gillzajoker » 06 Dec 2015 16:47

Thanks for that, Dave, brought back happy memories from 1973 :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby avidcruiser » 07 Dec 2015 00:49

We visited Delphi on a Classical Tour of Greece many years ago. It is indeed an incredible ancient site, one not to be missed.
All my posts and photos are COPYRIGHTED!!

"I have a little shadow that goes in and out with me!"
KEEP CALM AND CRUISE ON

avidcruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Wales

Return to Museums