Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Pre-cruise Accomodation: Meininger Hotel, Munich

Pre-cruise Accomodation: Meininger Hotel, Munich

Pre-cruise Accomodation: Meininger Hotel, Munich

Postby tomvet » 13 May 2017 14:20

Danube river cruises often depart from Passau with Munich being the most convenient international airport to fly to in order to meet the cruise.

For us we flew into Memmingen (a Ryanair bus stop 2 hours West of Munich) , Passau being 2 hours East. We decided to have a city break in Munich pre cruise. We flew back from Munich Airport proper.

Our accommodation in Munich was the Meininger Hotel, City Centre. The hotel was approximately 10 minute walk from Central Station (Hauptbahnhof) and 30 mins from Marienplatz. It was just a 3 minute walk to Hackerbrucke Station where we could catch a S/U Bahn to anywhere!!! So from a location, it was highly suitable.

Meininger have hotels all over Germany in addition to Vienna, Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Venice, Brussels and London. They are hostels / hotels and are ideally suited for travelling families where they have six bedded rooms. Typically the six bedded room is a double bed and two bunks. Rooms are comfortable but basic. Rooms are ensuite with basic toiletries. They are serviced on a daily basis.

They hotel are open 24 hours a day so late arrivals / early departures are no issue.

They have minimal facilities in terms of comfy lounges, restaurants, saunas, gyms etc but they do have lively bars.

Breakfast is typical cold German buffet.

They represent terrific value - we stayed over Easter (so highish season) for less than €80,00 per room per night for 5 persons including breakfast. Breakfast for kids < 6 years is free. Kids under 5 stay free - this is where the big savings were made by us.

After six nights we were able to do our laundry at the hotel so we were able to embark the ship with a full suitcase of clean clothes - so we could have travelled with less!!

The Mieninger served our needs amply. If the Marina Bay Sands hotel is your sort of place to hang out ............... you'll be disappointed ....... however, I know my place ;)

Some pics of our room!

Last edited by tomvet on 21 May 2017 20:31, edited 1 time in total.

November 2017 - Phoenix Reisen M/S Aurelia - Cologne - Bonn - Cochem - Koblenz - Rudesheim - Frankfurt - Mainz - Cologne
April 2018 - Phoenix Reisen M/S Asara - Cologne - Amsterdam - Ijsselmeer - Hoorn - Rotterdam - Gorinchem - Arnheim - Cologne
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Pre-cruise Accomodation: Meininger Ho(s)tel, Munich

Postby Gillzajoker » 13 May 2017 15:31

Five star with hot and cold running chambermaids would be wasted on me for a pre-cruise stay. As long as the beds and bathroom are clean, I'm happy :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby tomvet » 13 May 2017 19:04

Gillzajoker wrote:Five star with hot and cold running chambermaids would be wasted on me for a pre-cruise stay. As long as the beds and bathroom are clean, I'm happy :D

I agree Gill! For me pre-cruise accommodation should be clean, conveniently located, in a safe area, include breakfast and be reasonably priced. Ideally the room should be away from street noise and away from where the accommodation has housed the stag and hen parties!!!

For our next cruise we are in the Meininger Hotel in Cologne - €92 for 2 nights B&B for four of us! That's my kind price!!!!

November 2017 - Phoenix Reisen M/S Aurelia - Cologne - Bonn - Cochem - Koblenz - Rudesheim - Frankfurt - Mainz - Cologne
April 2018 - Phoenix Reisen M/S Asara - Cologne - Amsterdam - Ijsselmeer - Hoorn - Rotterdam - Gorinchem - Arnheim - Cologne
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby JollyJill » 13 May 2017 19:41

tomvet wrote:
Gillzajoker wrote:Five star with hot and cold running chambermaids would be wasted on me for a pre-cruise stay. As long as the beds and bathroom are clean, I'm happy :D

I agree Gill! For me pre-cruise accommodation should be clean, conveniently located, in a safe area, include breakfast and be reasonably priced. Ideally the room should be away from street noise and away from where the accommodation has housed the stag and hen parties!!!

For our next cruise we are in the Meininger Hotel in Cologne - €92 for 2 nights B&B for four of us! That's my kind price!!!!

Who is not having breakfast then or do the kids share?

33 cruises on 24 ships.

Seine Sojourn on Braemar September 2017

APT River cruise Amsterdam- Budapest November 2017

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby tomvet » 13 May 2017 20:16

JollyJill wrote:
tomvet wrote:

Who is not having breakfast then or do the kids share?

This is Daddy and his girls cruise! Mum is staying at home!!

tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby Gillzajoker » 14 May 2017 11:46

Hopefully not barefoot and tied to kitchen sink! :lol:
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag: