Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Durnstein

Durnstein

Durnstein

Postby tomvet » 13 May 2017 21:12

Durnstein is a pretty village in the Wachau valley along the Danube in Austria.

It is a wine growing area and is full of wine cellars selling their produce. The area is also famous for growing apricots and much of the merchandise in the touristy shops is apricot wines, chutneys, jams and jellies. Things in this cute and quaint village are expensive.

The ship docks right along side the village and you can walk to the centre of the village in 5 mins and walk around it in less than an hour.

The centre piece of the village is the striking blue Bell Tower of Durnstein Abbey.

It costs 3,50€ to enter the Abbey where the Chapel, a small museum and the terrace under the Bell Tower that overlooks the Danube are on view.

The Bell Tower

The Terrace at Durnstein Abbey

The Chapel at Durnstein where we attended the latter moments of an Organ Recital

Interior of the Chapel

The Abbey was not our prime target for our visit to Durnstein. Our primary destination was Burgruine Dürnstein - a ruined castle 312m above the village. The hike to and from the Castle took about 1,5 hours including photo and rest stops. It is a fairly strenuous climb but if one takes is nice and easy it is eminently doable! It reminded me of the hike to the fortress above Kotor in Montenegro.

The hike offers excellent views over the village and the River.

While there is a well defined path, it is stepped in places and quite rough in other parts...........

.......... and steep

One finally reaches the outer walls of the castle but there is still a way to go to get to the top.

The Top

Down we go!

A busy stretch of the river......

We enjoyed our 4,5 hour stop in Durnstein!

November 2017 - Phoenix Reisen M/S Aurelia - Cologne - Bonn - Cochem - Koblenz - Rudesheim - Frankfurt - Mainz - Cologne
April 2018 - Phoenix Reisen M/S Asara - Cologne - Amsterdam - Ijsselmeer - Hoorn - Rotterdam - Gorinchem - Arnheim - Cologne
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Durnstein

Postby JollyJill » 14 May 2017 11:48

I was very interested to see your pics and views of Durnstein Tom, as this is another place we will be visiting on our Rhine/Danube cruise in November.
I have to admit that having booked our cruise last year, I haven't given it much thought until now. Seeing your pics has made me revisit our itinerary and as we have both seen so little of Austria and Germany, I now quite excited about the prospect. :D

33 cruises on 24 ships.

Seine Sojourn on Braemar September 2017

APT River cruise Amsterdam- Budapest November 2017

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Durnstein

Postby tomvet » 14 May 2017 13:45

Durnstein is tiny Jill. Its a cute a quaint place.
Just check your itinerary Jill that you are not embarking / disembarking here and meeting the ship somewhere else after doing a tour to Melk and other Wachau Valley sights.

November 2017 - Phoenix Reisen M/S Aurelia - Cologne - Bonn - Cochem - Koblenz - Rudesheim - Frankfurt - Mainz - Cologne
April 2018 - Phoenix Reisen M/S Asara - Cologne - Amsterdam - Ijsselmeer - Hoorn - Rotterdam - Gorinchem - Arnheim - Cologne
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby JollyJill » 14 May 2017 15:56

tomvet wrote:Durnstein is tiny Jill. Its a cute a quaint place.
Just check your itinerary Jill that you are not embarking / disembarking here and meeting the ship somewhere else after doing a tour to Melk and other Wachau Valley sights.

I checked the itinerary. We can either cycle from Melk to Durnstein or wait until the ship stops there a bit further along the river.

Unless I can free wheel on the back of a tandem, I will opt for the latter I think. :lol:

33 cruises on 24 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby tomvet » 14 May 2017 16:53

JollyJill wrote:

I checked the itinerary. We can either cycle from Melk to Durnstein or wait until the ship stops there a bit further along the river.

Unless I can free wheel on the back of a tandem, I will opt for the latter I think. :lol:

I suggest you float between the places.

tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby Meg50 » 14 May 2017 21:32

JollyJill wrote:

looking at your sig - I realised we're doing the same APT cruise as you, but a few weeks before. As I understand it, nothing is compulsory. I am seriously considering avoiding the 'Sound of music' trip and staying onboard to watch the Danube locks
Meg
Meg50
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Durnstein

Postby JollyJill » 14 May 2017 22:03

looking at your sig - I realised we're doing the same APT cruise as you, but a few weeks before. As I understand it, nothing is compulsory. I am seriously considering avoiding the 'Sound of music' trip and staying onboard to watch the Danube locks

I hope you can post something on your return to tell us what you thought of both APT and the itinerary. It is a first for us. :)

33 cruises on 24 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby tomvet » 14 May 2017 23:43

Meg50 wrote:
JollyJill wrote:

I found the locks fascinating! The funny thing about our trip that anytime I woke during the night when on board MS Sofia, we were in a lock!!!

tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Durnstein

Postby tomvet » 14 May 2017 23:44

JollyJill wrote:

I hope you can post something on your return to tell us what you thought of both APT and the itinerary. It is a first for us. :)

Nice to have some one to do the reconnaissance for you Jill!

tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Return to Europe