Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Vienna: Wiener Riesenrad

Vienna: Wiener Riesenrad

Postby tomvet » 13 May 2017 23:02

The Ferris Wheel at the Prater in Vienna must be one of the most famous Ferris Wheels in the world and is certainly a Viennese institution made even more famous by appearing in The Third Man and in Bond Movie - The Living Daylights.

The fun fair in and around the Wheel is about 5 min walk from the nearest U Bahn station so is very convenient for the independent tourist.

At almost 65m tall, the awful weather in Vienna on the day of our visit mitigated from obtaining any views not to mind poor views of Vienna.

We had not issue obtaining tickets and had a gondola all to ourselves but I imagine in the height of the season, the queues could be horrendous!

Entrance to the Wheel- note the snow flurries! :roll:

Once you enter, there is an exhibition and some history about the wheel!

Now inside ............. Steamy windows ...........!

You can hire a gondola for a private function ................. dinner for two perhaps!

Seeing as the views were not grabbing our attention, it was time to play silly wotsits!

After just one revolution, they kick you off and it was out in the rain and sleet and cold and Brrr! A quick step to the U Bahn and back to the ship.

Not an entirely satisfactory day in beautiful Vienna but nevertheless enjoyable!!!

November 2017 - Phoenix Reisen M/S Aurelia - Cologne - Bonn - Cochem - Koblenz - Rudesheim - Frankfurt - Mainz - Cologne
April 2018 - Phoenix Reisen M/S Asara - Cologne - Amsterdam - Ijsselmeer - Hoorn - Rotterdam - Gorinchem - Arnheim - Cologne
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby judgegeoff » 14 May 2017 07:59

Thanks for sharing your family experience on the Wiener Riesenrad Tom, it was very interesting as I recognised it from the movies and TV programmes. It was a pity that the weather precluded you having any decent views and it did look very cold! I did not realise that the wheel only made one revolution per ride, I would have assumed that it would have done more. However, if I am ever in the area I would certainly like to try it. Many thanks. :thumbup:
Geoff

Cruises Booked

P&O "Aurora" Norwegian Fjords
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby JollyJill » 14 May 2017 09:17

Thanks for the pics Tom. :thumbup:

It reminds me of the time I was in Vienna with P 9 years ago. He has a fear of heights but was persuaded to go on the the wheel with me and wished that he hadn't!

33 cruises on 24 ships.

Seine Sojourn on Braemar September 2017

APT River cruise Amsterdam- Budapest November 2017

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby tomvet » 14 May 2017 09:36

judgegeoff wrote:Thanks for sharing your family experience on the Wiener Riesenrad Tom, it was very interesting as I recognised it from the movies and TV programmes. It was a pity that the weather precluded you having any decent views and it did look very cold! I did not realise that the wheel only made one revolution per ride, I would have assumed that it would have done more. However, if I am ever in the area I would certainly like to try it. Many thanks. :thumbup:

Yes Geoff -one revolution so it is a stop / start ride.
I asked considering there was not a sinner about if we could have another spin and not a chance unless we paid €27 again!!!
I imagine in summer they would have to be strict as queues could be loooooooooooooong! The ironic thing is that the busier it is the longer one has on board as it will take longer to fill the Gondolas

While Mai was thrilled to go on the Wheel, it rapidly fell into disfavour because we only went around the once. I think she expected a few rapid whizzing spins once all Gondolas were full!!!

I was on the wheel back in 1995 and they were old teak panelled Gondolas - it was quite creaky. Now its all a new shiny feat of steel engineering! Not quite as atmospheric!

November 2017 - Phoenix Reisen M/S Aurelia - Cologne - Bonn - Cochem - Koblenz - Rudesheim - Frankfurt - Mainz - Cologne
April 2018 - Phoenix Reisen M/S Asara - Cologne - Amsterdam - Ijsselmeer - Hoorn - Rotterdam - Gorinchem - Arnheim - Cologne
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland