Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - 3 Days in Rio

3 Days in Rio

3 Days in Rio

Postby JollyJill » 14 May 2017 14:12

We were lucky enough to spend 3 days in Rio during our South American cruise on Boudicca earlier this year.

I have to say that Rio was never on our bucket list but after much research and listening to the port lecture on board ship, we made our choices and as a result, had a great time.

DAY1

As we like to explore any city via public transport, our first day was spent on trams and metro trains heading towards Rio's famous beaches at Copocabana and Ipanema.

Whilst fumbling with the Portugese language at the tram stop (which thankfully, was next to the cruise terminal), a very helpful transport guide came to our rescue. The upshot being that public transport in Rio for seniors is free.
On boarding the tram, we bumped into our port lecturer who was as surprised as we were that we didn't have to pay. What a pity that he didn't do his homework so that he could tell us all on board ship. He told us that things had changed since he was last there. :roll:

The tram took us to the Metro station where on showing a copy of our passport, we were ushered through the barrier as a senior and therefore didn't need a ticket.

Once in the region of Ipanema, we had a short walk to the beach. It was very hot that day!

After a stop for a cool drink, we headed back to the ship. I couldn't take the heat and opted for a sit in the shade somewhere whilst P took his camera to take shots of the area nearby.

This strange looking structure is actually a museum

The Cathedral

DAY 2

Obviously, no trip to Rio would be complete without a close up view of Christ the Redeemer statue which can be seen on high from just about anywhere in the city.

Despite P's fear of heights, he opted to take the ship's excursion with me, as the journey up to the top was by a funicular rather than a cable car.

The view going up was great.
The Olympic stadium

Unfortunately, the heat haze was such that the views from the top were not so good, as you can see from this shot of Sugarloaf.

It was very busy at the top as you would expect.

DAY 3

On day 3, I opted for a trip up to Sugar Loaf Mountain, whilst P went for a jeep excursion through the Tijuca Forest to some Botanical Gardens.

My trip...............

The cable car journey was in 2 stages but was spectacular all the way up.

P's Trip

He travelled up through the forest by jeep

The views were pretty good too.

Fortunately, days 2 and 3 were a tad cooler than day 1 which made our sightseeing trips more comfortable.
Last edited by JollyJill on 14 May 2017 15:29, edited 2 times in total.

33 cruises on 24 ships.

APT River cruise Amsterdam- Budapest November 2017

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: 3 Days in Rio

Postby tomvet » 14 May 2017 14:24

It brings back memories when I was there in 1999 Jill but how it has all modernised in just 20 years. I am the richer have got richer and the poorer are still poor!! Trams didn't exist then. There was a metro - one line I think at the time with stops miles away from the sight. It looks a lot safer place now then it was then. I stayed in a hotel between Ipanema and Copacabana beach. Clearly the Olympics have done a lot for the cities infrastructure! I remember the marathon runners running around the museum last summer.

I was there in October and heat was not my issue - it was dull and chilly for my 4 days there!

November 2017 - Phoenix Reisen M/S Aurelia - Cologne - Bonn - Cochem - Koblenz - Rudesheim - Frankfurt - Mainz - Cologne
April 2018 - Phoenix Reisen M/S Asara - Cologne - Amsterdam - Ijsselmeer - Hoorn - Rotterdam - Gorinchem - Arnheim - Cologne
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby JollyJill » 14 May 2017 14:37

tomvet wrote:It brings back memories when I was there in 1999 Jill but how it has all modernised in just 20 years. I am the richer have got richer and the poorer are still poor!! Trams didn't exist then. There was a metro - one line I think at the time with stops miles away from the sight. It looks a lot safer place now then it was then. I stayed in a hotel between Ipanema and Copacabana beach. Clearly the Olympics have done a lot for the cities infrastructure! I remember the marathon runners running around the museum last summer.

I was there in October and heat was not my issue - it was dull and chilly for my 4 days there!

Yes, the guides were telling us what a massive amount of difference the recent Olympics had made to the city. It certainly felt a lot safer to walk around than Salvador for instance. I will post something about that port of call at a later date.

33 cruises on 24 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby rdw123 » 15 May 2017 10:11

Lovely photos Jill. You are certainly packing a lot into your lives. Good on you. I left Southampton on Saga Pearl the same day as you and saw Boudicca in Madeira and also Cape Verde. She is a nice looking ship. Trying F.O for the first time in January, a fly cruise to the Caribbean, somewhere I have always wanted to see better. Happy travels. Ruth
rdw123
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby JollyJill » 15 May 2017 10:20

rdw123 wrote:Lovely photos Jill. You are certainly packing a lot into your lives. Good on you. I left Southampton on Saga Pearl the same day as you and saw Boudicca in Madeira and also Cape Verde. Here she is in Mindelo.

She is a nice looking ship. Trying F.O for the first time in January, a fly cruise to the Caribbean, somewhere I have always wanted to see better. Happy travels. Ruth

Hi Ruth. Yes, I remember seeing the Pearl in Southampton, Madeira & Cape Verde. We have never sailed with Saga but I guess that there could be a first time. We have been on Sapphire a couple of times; once on a day visit and another when we were lunch guests of friends before they sailed on a long cruise.
Which Fred ship will you be sailing on next January?

33 cruises on 24 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

3 Days in Rio

Postby judgegeoff » 15 May 2017 12:45

Beautiful pictures Jill, thanks to you and Plunky for sharing them with us. :clap:

They revived happy memories of our cruise from Rio in March 2012. Going up to see 'Christ the Redeemer' was certainly one of the highlights of that cruise, although reaching the peak via an outdoor escalator at such a high elevation was rather an odd experience (I felt as though I was approaching the Pearly Gates!).

Whilst queueing for the funicular railway we were stood next to a young lady who was wearing Ugg lambs wool boots, even though it was a very hot day. She explained that she was one of the guest entertainers on the ship (a saxophonist) and had thought that Brazil was a cold country and so had packed accordingly! :lol:
Geoff

Cruises Booked

Sadly none (daughter's wedding!)
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

3 Days in Rio

Postby JollyJill » 15 May 2017 13:47

judgegeoff wrote:Beautiful pictures Jill, thanks to you and Plunky for sharing them with us. :clap:

They revived happy memories of our cruise from Rio in March 2012. Going up to see 'Christ the Redeemer' was certainly one of the highlights of that cruise, although reaching the peak via an outdoor escalator at such a high elevation was rather an odd experience (I felt as though I was approaching the Pearly Gates!).

Whilst queueing for the funicular railway we were stood next to a young lady who was wearing Ugg lambs wool boots, even though it was a very hot day. She explained that she was one of the guest entertainers on the ship (a saxophonist) and had thought that Brazil was a cold country and so had packed accordingly! :lol:

They walk among us Geoff! :o

33 cruises on 24 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby rdw123 » 15 May 2017 14:49

Hi Jill. I am on the Breamar. Only booked a couple of weeks ago through Saga as I get the insurance included and also picked up from home. After being poorly that is worth it's weight in gold! Got an inside cabin down in the bowels as what I save will pay towards my excursions. That way I may be able to have another holiday or two. Lots of places to see before I get past it! Best wishes Ruth
rdw123
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

3 Days in Rio

Postby Gillzajoker » 15 May 2017 14:55

Brought back many happy memories, Jill - been to Rio 3 times now and still love it and want to 'do' everything. Second time was with friends from Argentina, who visited there a lot, so were familiar with public transport, which was fun. Last time I was travelling solo and, post-cruise, stayed in a hotel right opposite Copacabana beach and felt perfectly safe wandering about on my own. I was also surprised how very clean everywhere was, with dog=walkers armed with, and using, doggydoo disposal bags. An enforced $1000 (or equivalent) fine certainly proved effective! :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

3 Days in Rio

Postby JollyJill » 15 May 2017 15:20

Gillzajoker wrote:Brought back many happy memories, Jill - been to Rio 3 times now and still love it and want to 'do' everything. Second time was with friends from Argentina, who visited there a lot, so were familiar with public transport, which was fun. Last time I was travelling solo and, post-cruise, stayed in a hotel right opposite Copacabana beach and felt perfectly safe wandering about on my own. I was also surprised how very clean everywhere was, with dog=walkers armed with, and using, doggydoo disposal bags. An enforced $1000 (or equivalent) fine certainly proved effective! :D

We felt very safe too Gill and also marvelled at how clean the beach areas are. As I said, Rio was never a 'must do' for me but now that we have been there, I am very glad that I did. :thumbup:

33 cruises on 24 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Next