Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Cruise ships destroying the Orkneys

Cruise ships destroying the Orkneys

An area for topics about more general cruise-related matters.

Postby Carwalsick » 16 May 2017 19:20

Interesting article in today's Times. The number of cruise ships visiting The Orkneys is destroying the beauty of the islands. German visitors were even found to gatecrash a funeral and take selfies by the hearse. It's obviously not just the cruise lines at fault, the locals need to regulate their greed. We were due to visit Kirkwall on a cruise in July but quite pleased we had to cancel.

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk
December 2017 Saga Sapphire Christmas in Scandinavia
June 2018 Saga Sapphire Adventure to The North Cape
September 2018 Saga Sapphire Nova Scotia and St Lawrence in the Fall
November 2019 Spirit of Discovery Spanish Islands of The Atlantic
Carwalsick
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Cruise ships destroying the Orkneys

Postby tomvet » 16 May 2017 20:06

That is shocking! I found myself inadvertently attending a funeral in Dominica - didn't cross my mind to take a selfie! What do these people think?

I have to say, that our call to Orkney back in 2012 was one of the most enjoyable days we have ever spent in port!
April 2018 - Phoenix Reisen M/S Asara - Cologne - Amsterdam - Ijsselmeer - Hoorn - Rotterdam - Gorinchem - Arnheim - Cologne
October 18 - MSC Opera - Marseille - Mahon - Cagliari - Valetta - Messina - Naples - Genoa
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby Trace » 16 May 2017 20:14

I heard this on the radio today... It said that the islands occupancy over doubles when have ships in port
Tracey :-)
Trace
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby khkate » 17 May 2017 14:00

Trace wrote:I heard this on the radio today... It said that the islands occupancy over doubles when have ships in port

The Orkneys is not the only place where this happens. Smaller ports have the same problem - like Flam in Norway. We remember our last call there on March 2015 and there was a farmer who had publicly marked his protest by paining "No to Cruise ships" on his barn roof, right near where the ships berthed. I know our captain made the commment that it wasn't the smaller ships that were being targeted, but the bigger ones - but the way the cruise industry is these days,they can't can't really pick and choose which ships can call and which can't.

The trouble for Flam is the main attraction is the railway and admittedly, the tourists do often displace the locals who are trying to use the train. So the town then has to consider which is the bigger priority - the economy gained from tourists and cruise ships calling in to use the railway, or closing the port to cruise ships and being able to continue their everyday life, just having the smaller ferries bringing people in.

However, I must admit that it sounds highly insensitive of anybody to gatecrash a funeral and take any sort of photos of the occasion. I know there was a time when we were in Tromso and a funeral passed us as we were by the church. We had intended to take photos of th exterior of the church, but had the manners to wait until the funeral party had gone inside the church - and as it passed us en route to the church, we stopped and dipped our heads as a sign of respect, even though we had no knowledge of who was in the coffin. I believe it was some local official as the flags were all at half-mast. Also, because of the funeral taking place, we decided not to visit the inside of the church, even though we had been told it was quite spectacular. - it can wait until we visit there again.
Future Cruises - Baltics, Canaries Canada, Med, Scandinavia
khkate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Carwalsick » 17 May 2017 19:29

From what I gather large ships are destroying the Caribbean islands. I'm glad we got in many years ago on small ships. We still stick with no more than 1000 passengers and always have. I still maintain that the local authorities are equally at fault. I believe that Cagliari has placed a strict limit on cruise ships.

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk
December 2017 Saga Sapphire Christmas in Scandinavia
June 2018 Saga Sapphire Adventure to The North Cape
September 2018 Saga Sapphire Nova Scotia and St Lawrence in the Fall
November 2019 Spirit of Discovery Spanish Islands of The Atlantic
Carwalsick
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby sparkiethecruiser » 19 May 2017 19:24

Went to orkney once couple years back on Boudicca with Emma beautiful place. I am appalled that anyone would think it appropriate to take photos at a funeral.
sparkiethecruiser
Captain
Captain

Postby Trace » 19 May 2017 20:15

sparkiethecruiser wrote:Went to orkney once couple years back on Boudicca with Emma beautiful place. I am appalled that anyone would think it appropriate to take photos at a funeral.

I agree Donna, so distasteful. Hope you are well xx
Tracey :-)
Trace
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Camela » 20 May 2017 00:05

Therein lies the problem. These islands and to be fair low populated places do welcome the arrival of cruise ships and the revenue they attract. My sister lives on Shetland and the arrival of the ships is an attraction. Selfies at a funeral is a step too far but in such places religious rites are famous and perhaps some tourists don't know the difference?
"Won't you let me take you on a sea cruise"
Camela
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
England

Postby tomvet » 20 May 2017 10:05

Camela wrote:Therein lies the problem. These islands and to be fair low populated places do welcome the arrival of cruise ships and the revenue they attract. My sister lives on Shetland and the arrival of the ships is an attraction. Selfies at a funeral is a step too far but in such places religious rites are famous and perhaps some tourists don't know the difference?

I think we have had a thread on this site about Black Tourism.
April 2018 - Phoenix Reisen M/S Asara - Cologne - Amsterdam - Ijsselmeer - Hoorn - Rotterdam - Gorinchem - Arnheim - Cologne
October 18 - MSC Opera - Marseille - Mahon - Cagliari - Valetta - Messina - Naples - Genoa
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby jocap » 20 May 2017 19:31

Our little village church is 200 metres or so down the country lane, so everyone walks down the middle of the road, following the transport- sometimes a tractor and trailer, and last time a quad bike and trailer, led by the vicar and funeral director. It's not unknown for tourist cars to squeeze past, pull to a halt and people get out to video us.
Jo.

19 Cruises; 10 ships; 7 lines; 89 ports
jocap
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom