Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Quex Park Maize Maze and Field of Fun!

Quex Park Maize Maze and Field of Fun!

Postby Dave » 02 Aug 2017 15:26

This topic follows on from a post by Mungo in The Joys of Walking topic in which she mentions the Maize Maze at Quex Park near Broadstairs in Kent.

We had the grandkids today and, despite the weather forecast of cloud with heavy rain later, we decided to visit the aforementioned maze. Although I've lived in the area for most of my life, I'd never been to Quex Park before. The reason is that it's the home of the Powell-Cotton Museum which I believe has a large collection of stuffed animals, and that really doesn't appeal. But following Mungo's recommendation we did some research and discovered that the offending museum is only one part of a very extensive site and easily avoided. So off we went...

There are two maize mazes each with its own theme. In the first, clues about the direction to take are given for correct answers about Africa. In the second, the aim is to collect points from around the maze. The kids loved the mazes! We enjoyed them tremendously too and were impressed by their size and complexity!

Near the mazes is a short nature trail which leads to a very long and excellent climbing trail. (My apologies for the blurry photo.)

Next, Fred and the boys played for ages on a huge bouncy... thing. Again, they had a brilliant time.

We were just about to head back to the car when the rain started, so it was a rather wet finish to wonderful outing. We're really glad we went though - thanks Mungo. :thumbup:
Dave
Booked cruise: Tui Discovery 2 - Cuban Fusion, Christmas 2017
Not all who wander are lost.
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Quex Park Maize Maze and Field of Fun!

Postby tomvet » 02 Aug 2017 20:57

Love it Dave! We would love to have summat like that near us! Unfortunately not. May I ask what is the charge to enter such a facility?

November 2017 - Phoenix Reisen M/S Aurelia - Cologne - Bonn - Cochem - Koblenz - Rudesheim - Frankfurt - Mainz - Cologne
April 2018 - Phoenix Reisen M/S Asara - Cologne - Amsterdam - Ijsselmeer - Hoorn - Rotterdam - Gorinchem - Arnheim - Cologne
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby Trace » 02 Aug 2017 21:15

Looks fabulous Dave, our grandchildren would love that too. :)
Tracey :-)
Trace
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Dave » 02 Aug 2017 23:04

tomvet wrote:Love it Dave! We would love to have summat like that near us! Unfortunately not. May I ask what is the charge to enter such a facility?

Hi Tom. It cost £16.50 for the four of us (18.40 EUR), which we thought was excellent value. :D
Dave
Booked cruise: Tui Discovery 2 - Cuban Fusion, Christmas 2017
Not all who wander are lost.
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby tomvet » 02 Aug 2017 23:19

Dave wrote:
tomvet wrote:Love it Dave! We would love to have summat like that near us! Unfortunately not. May I ask what is the charge to enter such a facility?

Hi Tom. It cost £16.50 for the four of us (18.40 EUR), which we thought was excellent value. :D

yes! anything under €20 for a family is excellent. Though we do find that families are often 2Ad and 2Ch and then there is a full child rate to be paid for the third kid- which then shoves up costs considerably!

On our recent trip to Derrynane House the woman at the admission desk was gloating that OPW had now removed charges for kids under 12 and that we were all to be delighted. SO admission for OH and I was €10 i.e. 5€ each. I told her I didn't share her excitement. She asked why very quizzically. In removing the kids charge they increase the adult price from €4 to €5. The family rate for 2 adult and 2 kids was €10. SO no saving for us! Whats more was the family rate was for 2 adults and 4 kids under 17. No kids over 12 are adults. So a single person now pays €5 instead of €4. A family will all kids under 12 (up to 4 of them!) used to pay €10 now the adults pay €10. BUT a family with 2 adults and 2 kids over 12 now pay €20 or €30 if 2 adults and 4 kids. And all this was sold as an initiative to save the consumer! As far as I can see no one saves you either pay more or stay the same!

November 2017 - Phoenix Reisen M/S Aurelia - Cologne - Bonn - Cochem - Koblenz - Rudesheim - Frankfurt - Mainz - Cologne
April 2018 - Phoenix Reisen M/S Asara - Cologne - Amsterdam - Ijsselmeer - Hoorn - Rotterdam - Gorinchem - Arnheim - Cologne
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby Gillzajoker » 03 Aug 2017 14:26

The mazes look amazing fun!
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby Mungo » 04 Aug 2017 08:19

So glad you went and had a good time Dave! :thumbup: Looks like Fred had as much fun as the boys! :lol:

Plenty to do and see there now, including the Craft village, food barn, garden centre, children's indoor/ outdoor play area.

They also run a Forest school there. I'm taking my class at the end of September. I went on a tour of it to see what was on offer.......mud kitchens, zip wire, building fires, animals to pet and hold....... In the holidays you can book children in for the day, so may be something your grandsons might want to do when youngest is a bit older. :mrgreen:
Mungo
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral