Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Five staycation on the Skellig Ring!

Five staycation on the Skellig Ring!

Postby tomvet » 02 Aug 2017 21:18

For our annual 3rd week of July staycation, we again used AirBnB to book our holiday cottage on the Skellig Ring (off shoot of the Ring of Kerry!) in South West Ireland!

Our accommodation can be seen here

We had use of the cottage from Saturday to Saturday. Not to waste any of our precious time and because the Saturday we travelled down was such a nice day we stopped en route at Kells Bay Gardens. The Gardens themselves were nothing special unless you are into your tree ferns but the dinosaur carvings and the rope bridge was a big hit with all three Minivets!

We got to the house, unpacked, had a dinner we brought with us and because it was such a sunny evening we decided to head out and visit two stone forts.

Day 2 commenced with a hike to Bray Head on Valentia Island!

Followed by visits to the Lighthouse at Cromwell Point

.... the Grotto at the Slate Quarry

....and the Tetrapod Trackway

Followed by a drive to the summit of Geokaun Mountain and a wander to Fogher Cliffs

The ended up with ice-cream treats made locally on the Island

Strawberry for Una

Vanilla for Mai

Chocolate for Aisling

My kids have such diverse tastes! :roll:

November 2017 - Phoenix Reisen M/S Aurelia - Cologne - Bonn - Cochem - Koblenz - Rudesheim - Frankfurt - Mainz - Cologne
April 2018 - Phoenix Reisen M/S Asara - Cologne - Amsterdam - Ijsselmeer - Hoorn - Rotterdam - Gorinchem - Arnheim - Cologne
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Re: Five staycation on the Skellig Ring!

Postby tomvet » 02 Aug 2017 21:34

Day 3 was another stunning day. We hiked the Bolus Head Sky road starting at Kilreelig artist's village.

with stunning views of Ballinskelligs Bay!

The afternoon was spent at St Finian's Bay

........... and today's treat was at Skellig Chocolate!!!

Actually the Skellig Ring is the red route on the map in this photo!

Day 4 was not so good weather wise - it was sea foggy but dry!

We spent the day walking Derrynane Beach and dodging the jelly fish and a visit to Catholic Emancipator Daniel O Connell's house!

The beach and the jelly monsters!!!

........... and the bubble gum ice cream eating monsters!!!

There should be a law against such an ice-cream!

November 2017 - Phoenix Reisen M/S Aurelia - Cologne - Bonn - Cochem - Koblenz - Rudesheim - Frankfurt - Mainz - Cologne
April 2018 - Phoenix Reisen M/S Asara - Cologne - Amsterdam - Ijsselmeer - Hoorn - Rotterdam - Gorinchem - Arnheim - Cologne
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby judgegeoff » 02 Aug 2017 21:59

Great photos Tom, thanks for posting them. :clap:

Wow, your family really are growing up fast, I would not of recognised them, especially the twins, where has the time gone? Enjoy your holiday! :)
Geoff

Cruises Booked

P&O "Aurora" Norwegian Fjords
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Trace » 02 Aug 2017 22:02

Fabulous photos Tom, thankyou for sharing. Your cottage looks like my my type of place.

How grown up are your girls getting!! Beautiful I bet you are so proud of them.

I agree about the bubble gum ice cream, our grandson loves it, sell at the seaside near us... Gets it occasionally as a treat.... it's hard saying no when you are a grandma .. :lol:
Tracey :-)
Trace
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby JollyJill » 02 Aug 2017 22:04

Thanks for the photos Tom. I love seeing how the girls are growing and your pics have reminded me that we must visit Ireland some time next year.

Looks like you had some good weather- so it doesn't always rain in the Emerald Isle then. :)

33 cruises on 24 ships.

Seine Sojourn on Braemar September 2017

APT River cruise Amsterdam- Budapest November 2017

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby tomvet » 02 Aug 2017 22:19

Day 5 was another stunning day and we completed the 9km Bolus Barracks Loop. This was on the Western aspect of the headland opposite the Monday's walk and this gave stunning views of the Skellig Islands of Star Wars fame!

Then it was off to Waterville and all things Charlie Chaplin

Finishing off a sunny evening at the stunning Kerry Cliffs!

Day 6 - Back to Derrynane today but first stop was the third stone fort of the week - Loher Fort

The last day, rain stopped play at Derrynane and we had to skip the Fairy Trail! This and a hike along the Mass Path were our targets today!

The mass path was a route folk took to mass in secret during penal times! It starts at the chapel adjacent to Derrynane House

Runs along Derrynane Beach

Along the coastal cliffs and vegetation

Followed by a 1,5 mile roadwalk with excellent views of Derrynane Bay

Back on to the Kerry Way through mountainside and forest with the final 0,5km on the road!

tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby tomvet » 02 Aug 2017 22:33

Day 7 was a quiet day. We would have loved to visit the Skellig Islands but it is too dangerous for kids. So we visited the Skellig Experience instead which is an interpretative centre and a little disappointing.

This was followed up with a Candle Making workshop and repeat of the Bray Head hike!

Day 8 was shape up and ship out day! Anyhow we had to be home for Nanny and Grandad's 50th Wedding Anniversary BBQ!

We made one stop on the way home to visit the 4th of 4 stone forts - Staigue Fort

At the fort was a cutsey coffee shop serving excellent coffee and scones!! We couldn't resist not visiting this caravan done up as a cottage!

Service!!!

So ends Staycation 2017!!!!!

tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby Dave » 02 Aug 2017 23:35

Wow, what amazing, spectacular scenery. Thanks for sharing that Tom - I think it might influence our planning for next year. :thumbup:

We're off very early on Friday for our summer holiday on the Outer Hebrides and I expect it to be similar in some respects. We like rugged and remote! BTW, I hope you'll be proud of me (or surprised at least!) because I've organised three ferries and four accommodations all by myself. ;) :lol:
Dave
Booked cruise: Tui Discovery 2 - Cuban Fusion, Christmas 2017
Not all who wander are lost.
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby tomvet » 02 Aug 2017 23:45

Dave wrote:Wow, what amazing, spectacular scenery. Thanks for sharing that Tom - I think it might influence our planning for next year. :thumbup:

We're off very early on Friday for our summer holiday on the Outer Hebrides and I expect it to be similar in some respects. We like rugged and remote! BTW, I hope you'll be proud of me (or surprised at least!) because I've organised three ferries and four accommodations all by myself. ;) :lol:

I am impressed with your logistical planning and look forward to the updates.

I have to say there is no place in the World better to holiday in than South Kerry or West Cork PROVIDED one gets the weather! When its good it is great! But when its bad its .............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby Gillzajoker » 03 Aug 2017 14:19

Loved it all, Tom! :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag: