Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Where have all the tickets gone?

Where have all the tickets gone?

Postby judgegeoff » 06 Aug 2017 20:07

In the (now distant) past whenever we flew we received tickets from the airline that gave us details of the flight, the persons travelling and the luggage allowances etc. Nowadays we receive 'e tickets' that basically consist of a series of numbers and letters, eg. '7FBQFG'. If we didn't have a computer they would mean nothing.

I have just received a letter from a travel agent including our 'cruise tickets' but, on examination, there is no sign of a ticket - just a sheet giving details of our cruise ;- cabin number, itinerary and excursions booked etc. But nowhere does it state the word 'ticket'.

Am I the only person who mourns the demise of proper tickets?
Geoff

Cruises Booked

P&O "Aurora" Norwegian Fjords
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby divingbrit » 06 Aug 2017 22:44

Remember the days you got, tickets, leather luggage labels and on one holiday a travel bag, (still got it in the loft somewhere)
Scuba diving is not a Sport its an Art
divingbrit
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Where have all the tickets gone?

Postby tomvet » 07 Aug 2017 19:34

My current favourite cruiseline Phoenix Reisen give you an attractive wallet with your tickets and when you arrive in your cabin you get a nice rucksack - we got 5 on our last cruise, 4 more due in our December cruise and 5 more due next Easter!!! 14 rucksacks in 1 year! Will be holding a car boot sale shortly!

RRP - €8,95.

November 2017 - Phoenix Reisen M/S Aurelia - Cologne - Bonn - Cochem - Koblenz - Rudesheim - Frankfurt - Mainz - Cologne
April 2018 - Phoenix Reisen M/S Asara - Cologne - Amsterdam - Ijsselmeer - Hoorn - Rotterdam - Gorinchem - Arnheim - Cologne
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby Camela » 07 Aug 2017 21:43

Last cruise on Regent was all electronic and luggage labels given out at check in. Time was when Silversea couriered a box with tickets, itinerary, luggage tags and leather(faux) address tags.
"Won't you let me take you on a sea cruise"
Camela
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
England

Postby sparkiethecruiser » 07 Aug 2017 23:16

RCI make you print your own luggage labels :lol: and they have the cheek to specify in colour if possible
sparkiethecruiser
Captain
Captain

Postby Gillzajoker » 08 Aug 2017 11:05

They are cutting corners everywhere. However, if it makes the price of a cruise still possible for me, I can live with these 'economies' :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby khkate » 08 Aug 2017 13:10

Yes, certainly miss the plane tickets. We noticed this when we flew to South Africa in January - you used to almost get a mini-booklet of tickets with all the carbon copies that were detached by the check, in etc and that was where you attached the sticky labels for your luggage too when it was checked in. Like you Geoff, we had the sheet of paper with random numbers, just not the same.

On our ocean cruises, we also used to get a ticket voucher which you would hand in at check-in. However, now even Saga have gone ticketless, as when you check in, all you need now is your passport. Quite a panic the first time that happened to us. At least, they still send out proper tie-on luggage labels.
Cruises booked for the Med, Baltics, Canaries, Scandinavia, UK, Europe
khkate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral