Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Celebration - Spirit of Iberia cruise Oct 22 - 29

Celebration - Spirit of Iberia cruise Oct 22 - 29

Postby Olive Oyl » 08 Oct 2017 20:31

Hi, Has anyone got any information or advice that will help me and my elderly dad (89) to enjoy each port of call on this cruise. He has limited mobility so i have to push him in a wheelchair. Are we best sticking to the organised tours or are there any ports that we can explore ourselves without too much effort!?
Thank you in advance.
Olive!! :wave:
Olive Oyl

Postby judgegeoff » 08 Oct 2017 22:28

Hi Olive, welcome to our friendly forum, always great to see a new member. :wave:

The ports on this Thomson cruise from/to Malaga are as follows :- Lisbon, Portimao, Cadiz, Casablanca and Gibraltar.

I am sure that some of our members will be able to help you.
Geoff

Cruises Booked

"Quantum of the Seas" - China & Japan - Autumn 2018
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Mungo » 09 Oct 2017 22:54

Hello Olive! :wave:

I haven't been to all the ports but Cadiz is easy to DIY, docking close to the city centre and Gibraltar is a flat walk into town.

Have a good look at the excursions and see what you fancy and which are suitable for your dad.

Hope you have a super cruise! :mrgreen:
Mungo
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby grannyM » 10 Oct 2017 17:50

Hello and welcome to the forum Olive. I agree with Sue (Mungo) about Cadiz and Gibraltar.

I can add that depending on exactly where you dock that Lisbon can be quite easy to do your own thing. However, it is quite a hilly place with pavements which in places I've always thought quite dreadful. As you will be pushing the wheelchair I think it may be better to have a look at a ship's excursion that could accommodate your father's limited mobility but which perhaps would also give some free time too.

I have never been to either Portimao or Casablanca so have no help with them.

Hope you both have a great cruise. :D
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby bobbyoscar » 10 Oct 2017 19:17

Hello and welcome from me, too.

As someone who has a husband in a wheelchair I totally agree with both Sue (Mungo) and Marie (GrannyM) about Cadiz and Gibraltar.

In Cadiz, the HOHO bus which can be boarded directly outside the port gates is wheelchair accessible. It's an option which we intend doing when we visit Cadiz, next year. There are also loads of drop down kerbs. There is also a W/A taxi which can be hired in Gib at a fraction of the cost to the excursions offered by the ship. Although you may like to read our experience (Sue was with me) before booking that. Scroll through the Review until you get to 'The Ports'

SEE HERE

Cruises booked:
October 2018 – P & O Oriana - Cadiz - Catania - Corigliano Calabro – Venice –Zadar - Dubrovnik - Kotor - Corfu - Gibraltar
February 2019 – P & O Aurora - Andalsnes – Tromso – Alta – Stavanger
September 2019 - P & O Azura - Malaga -Messina - Mykonos - Piraeus - Santorini - Katakolon - Gibraltar
bobbyoscar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England