Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - 6 million steps in under a year (...and other milestones!)

6 million steps in under a year (...and other milestones!)

Postby Dave » 10 Oct 2017 17:29

I started recording my walks almost exactly a year ago - on the day I was given a GPS watch.

It was October 15th to be precise, and it occurred to me about six weeks ago that, if I made a big effort during September, it might be possible to reach 6 million steps before the year was up. I passed my target today, with four days to spare. :D As I write, my watch reports that I've done 6,002,282 steps - in under a year! (Of course this figure, while being precise, isn't necessarily accurate. However, I would argue that I've actually done quite a bit more than that.)

6,000,000 steps seems a very significant number to me because it means that, on average, I've walked 500,000 steps a month. Also, when converted to miles, it gives an average of almost 10 miles a day every day for a year.

Here's a chart showing the monthly totals:

Most of the steps have been stepped during what I think of as 'proper' walks. These are on the four days a week (usually) that I plan the walk, dress for the occasion, carry a backpack containing food, drink, and other essentials, and save the recorded route on Google Earth afterwards. (On two days a week I normally do a few miles with a child in a pushchair, and on the final day I do very little!)

Here's a screenshot of my Google Earth map for my walks in Kent:

I've tried to work out routes that are either completely new or at least have sections I've not walked before. One thing I try never to do is to return the way I went, which explains why the routes tend to be 'circular'. Fortunately, there are still a lot of unexplored paths in Kent to seek out!
Dave
Booked cruise: Marella Explorer - Caribbean, Christmas 2018
Booked walking holidays: Easter: Cotswolds; Summer: Kintyre & Islay
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

6 million steps in under a year!

Postby judgegeoff » 11 Oct 2017 10:56

Wow, over 6,000,000 steps, amazing Dave, made me tired just thinking about it! Well done :clap:

But the statistic that I found most interesting was your daily average - almost 10 miles a day. How many shoes do you wear out in a year? Even before I had my mobility problems I considered I'd done really well if I averaged 5 or 6 miles a day. :)
Geoff

Cruises Booked

"Quantum of the Seas" - China & Japan - Autumn 2018
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Dave » 11 Oct 2017 13:51

judgegeoff wrote:Wow, over 6,000,000 steps, amazing Dave, made me tired just thinking about it! Well done :clap:

But the statistic that I found most interesting was your daily average - almost 10 miles a day. How many shoes do you wear out in a year? Even before I had my mobility problems I considered I'd done really well if I averaged 5 or 6 miles a day. :)

Hi Geoff

At first I continued to wear shoes and boots from Mountain Warehouse, but they tended to wear out quickly and they weren't really up to the job. So last Christmas I bought a pair of proper walking boots and in the Spring I bought a pair of walking shoes (they call them 'approach' shoes for some reason!). The boots and shoes are both made by Salomon and I bought them from Cotswold Outdoor. I reckon that between them they'll last at least a full year, if not a fair bit longer.
Dave
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby grannyM » 11 Oct 2017 16:44

Well done you. :clap:
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby Gillzajoker » 12 Oct 2017 15:14

Congratulations, Dave :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby Dave » 30 Nov 2017 13:55

Rather than start a new topic, I'll use this one to record my occasional 'significant milestones'. :D

Today, I broke my record for the greatest distance walked in a calendar month - 268.21 miles.

Additionally, today is the first time I've walked more than 2,500 miles in the previous 12 months - 2,517.71 miles to be precise.

These figures are for 'proper' walks. That means walks that I've planned, dressed for the occasion, carried a backpack with provisions, and recorded using GPS. (In other words, it's not the same as calculating a distance from total steps taken, which would produce a much greater distance!)

Just thought I'd mention it! ;)
Dave
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby judgegeoff » 30 Nov 2017 18:32

Congratulations Dave, well done. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Geoff

Cruises Booked

"Quantum of the Seas" - China & Japan - Autumn 2018
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Dave » 10 Jan 2018 15:39

I passed another milestone today. I began recording my 'proper' walks on 15th October 2016, and this morning I passed the 3,000 mile mark - 3,003 miles to be exact. :D
Dave
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: 6 million steps in under a year (...and other milestones!)

Postby hazel20 » 15 Jan 2018 17:05

Amazing Dave- well done.

Good job you are doing circular routes or else you would be a long way from home by now!!
http://www.hazeljgriffiths.net

Future Lecture Cruises:
Saga Sapphire - July - Musical Mediterranean
Balmoral - September - Captains in Cadiz
Saga Pearl II - November - Moorish Mediterranean
hazel20
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
Wales

Postby Dave » 24 May 2018 15:52

I've broken another record at last... :D

Today, I passed my previous best recorded distance in a calendar month of 268.2 miles. That was for last November.

After my walk this morning, my recorded mileage for May (so far) is 272.8 miles! And I've still got another week to go!! :D

I haven't beaten the most steps in a calendar month yet though, but I'm hopeful that I will. Steps are different to recorded mileage because they are counted during all walks - eg. taking my grandchild to the play park, whereas recorded mileage is only for planned walks involving walking gear and a fully-loaded backpack.

I knew that May would be a good month to try and beat my previous best. The most significant reason is that the month started on a Tuesday and ends on a Thursday, and since Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday are my solo walking days, I knew I would have 15 such days this month compared with as few as 12 walking days in some other months. Yes, very confusing I know!

Anyway, the intention was to average 20 miles for each solo walk and add 10 miles for the weekend walk with my wife, making 70 miles a week. I've done slightly more than that so far, so all has gone to plan!..
Dave
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Next