Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - 6 million steps in under a year (...and other milestones!)

6 million steps in under a year (...and other milestones!)

Postby Dave » 10 Oct 2017 18:29

I started recording my walks almost exactly a year ago - on the day I was given a GPS watch.

It was October 15th to be precise, and it occurred to me about six weeks ago that, if I made a big effort during September, it might be possible to reach 6 million steps before the year was up. I passed my target today, with four days to spare. :D As I write, my watch reports that I've done 6,002,282 steps - in under a year! (Of course this figure, while being precise, isn't necessarily accurate. However, I would argue that I've actually done quite a bit more than that.)

6,000,000 steps seems a very significant number to me because it means that, on average, I've walked 500,000 steps a month. Also, when converted to miles, it gives an average of almost 10 miles a day every day for a year.

Here's a chart showing the monthly totals:

Most of the steps have been stepped during what I think of as 'proper' walks. These are on the four days a week (usually) that I plan the walk, dress for the occasion, carry a backpack containing food, drink, and other essentials, and save the recorded route on Google Earth afterwards. (On two days a week I normally do a few miles with a child in a pushchair, and on the final day I do very little!)

Here's a screenshot of my Google Earth map for my walks in Kent:

I've tried to work out routes that are either completely new or at least have sections I've not walked before. One thing I try never to do is to return the way I went, which explains why the routes tend to be 'circular'. Fortunately, there are still a lot of unexplored paths in Kent to seek out!
Dave
Booked cruise: TUI Discovery 2 - Cuban Fusion, Christmas 2017
Booked walking holidays: Auvergne, Cotswolds, Kintyre & Islay
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

6 million steps in under a year!

Postby judgegeoff » 11 Oct 2017 11:56

Wow, over 6,000,000 steps, amazing Dave, made me tired just thinking about it! Well done :clap:

But the statistic that I found most interesting was your daily average - almost 10 miles a day. How many shoes do you wear out in a year? Even before I had my mobility problems I considered I'd done really well if I averaged 5 or 6 miles a day. :)
Geoff

Cruises Booked

"Quantum of the Seas" - China & Japan - Autumn 2018
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Dave » 11 Oct 2017 14:51

judgegeoff wrote:Wow, over 6,000,000 steps, amazing Dave, made me tired just thinking about it! Well done :clap:

But the statistic that I found most interesting was your daily average - almost 10 miles a day. How many shoes do you wear out in a year? Even before I had my mobility problems I considered I'd done really well if I averaged 5 or 6 miles a day. :)

Hi Geoff

At first I continued to wear shoes and boots from Mountain Warehouse, but they tended to wear out quickly and they weren't really up to the job. So last Christmas I bought a pair of proper walking boots and in the Spring I bought a pair of walking shoes (they call them 'approach' shoes for some reason!). The boots and shoes are both made by Salomon and I bought them from Cotswold Outdoor. I reckon that between them they'll last at least a full year, if not a fair bit longer.
Dave
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby grannyM » 11 Oct 2017 17:44

Well done you. :clap:
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby Gillzajoker » 12 Oct 2017 16:14

Congratulations, Dave :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby Dave » 30 Nov 2017 14:55

Rather than start a new topic, I'll use this one to record my occasional 'significant milestones'. :D

Today, I broke my record for the greatest distance walked in a calendar month - 268.21 miles.

Additionally, today is the first time I've walked more than 2,500 miles in the previous 12 months - 2,517.71 miles to be precise.

These figures are for 'proper' walks. That means walks that I've planned, dressed for the occasion, carried a backpack with provisions, and recorded using GPS. (In other words, it's not the same as calculating a distance from total steps taken, which would produce a much greater distance!)

Just thought I'd mention it! ;)
Dave
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby judgegeoff » 30 Nov 2017 19:32

Congratulations Dave, well done. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Geoff

Cruises Booked

"Quantum of the Seas" - China & Japan - Autumn 2018
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom