Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Awesome Auvergne - the Puy de Dôme and Puy de Pariou

Awesome Auvergne - the Puy de Dôme and Puy de Pariou

Awesome Auvergne - the Puy de Dôme and Puy de Pariou

Postby Dave » 02 Nov 2017 19:15

When I saw this photo on http://www.auvergne-tourism.com, I wondered if we'd be able to climb the big volcano in the distance - the Puy de Dôme - and the volcano in the foreground with the deep crater - the Puy de Pariou - in a single walk. It turned out that we could. :D

The Auvergne is a wonderfully scenic region of France, with a great many extinct volcanoes. This is what the same website says about the most iconic volcano of them all - the Puy de Dôme...

Pearl of the Chaîne des Puys in central France, this volcano is a huge playground which is in the process of being awarded World Heritage Status by UNESCO.

Reaching an altitude of 1,465 metres, the Puy de Dôme is not the highest peak in Auvergne, but it is the most iconic, and certainly the most famous. From time immemorial, this volcano has been subject to ardent veneration, first by the Arverne people (the ancestors of Auvergne’s inhabitants), then by the Gallo-Romans, who built a temple to the god Mercury during the first century AD.

We parked in a large free car park at the base of the Puy de Dôme and set off. The initial climb was by far the toughest part of the entire walk. We stopped quite a lot on the way up, the pretext being to take photos, but we also needed to catch our breath! Here's a 5 minute video slideshow of some of the photos we took on the walk...

I always record our walks to add to my collection on Google Earth. This is the walk using a 3D terrain setting...

You might have noticed that, having climbed back out of the Pariou crater, we went the wrong way to get back to the car park! Our excuse is that, unlike in the UK, we didn't have any maps (GPS or paper), only a compass. Getting to Pariou wasn't a problem because we could see it the whole time, but as soon as we descended the volcano we were in woodland - so we couldn't see the Puy de Dôme until we were almost at the foot, and paths in the woods can be very confusing! :oops:
Dave
Booked cruise: TUI Discovery 2 - Cuban Fusion, Christmas 2017
Booked walking holidays: Auvergne, Cotswolds, Kintyre & Islay
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom