Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - My daughter's wedding

My daughter's wedding

If you can't decide where a new topic should go, then put it here.

My daughter's wedding

Postby judgegeoff » 06 Nov 2017 15:41

I don't suppose anybody noticed, but I was off the forum for 3 days last week as my youngest daughter, Sophie, married her fiancé Jimmy Tarrant on Friday the 3rd of November. Our immediate family all booked into the same local hotel, so it was lovely to see them all together.

Sophie getting ready at the hotel.

The ceremony was held in the little chapel at Colchester Castle which dates back to just after the Norman Conquest. Sophie had four bridesmaids – her elder sister Lyndsay, her niece Cassie and two good friends from her schooldays. There was a minor panic as the bridegroom's parents had been held up in traffic, but they arrived just a few minutes before the ceremony commenced. The wedding had a sort of 'Game of Thrones' theme.

Colchester's Norman castle.

The castle's little chapel.

I was very proud as I walked Sophie down the aisle and handed her over to the care of the Registrar. It was a lovely service with readings from Sophie's sister and her best friend. My wife Chris and Jimmy's mother were the witnesses.

After the ceremony all the guests lined the bridge over the castle's moat as the bride and groom walked out as a married couple for the first time. Confetti is not allowed at the castle (unless you are prepared to pick it all up!) so Sophie had made sticks with ribbons on the end and these were waved as the couple walked between us all. Sophie is the Craft Editor of the “Your Home” monthly lifestyle magazine and her crafting skills were apparent throughout the day.

Leaving the castle.

There were two photographers covering the wedding and the reception/party – a professional stills wedding photographer and a friend of Sophie's from ITV television who videoed the event. Our eldest daughter's fiancé Dirk is a drone pilot and took some amazing video footage from above the castle as the bridal couple made their way out of the castle. This footage will be added in to the other video to give a complete coverage of the wedding.

The reception was held in the function rooms at the 'Firstsite Art Gallery' which is just across a road from the castle. As we entered the main room we could see a very interesting table plan that was some more of Sophie's craft work.

The seating plan.

The meal was very different from any other wedding that I have attended, but I really did enjoy it. Sophie and Jimmy are really keen barbecue fans and the catering was provided by the 'Smokey Mac BBQ' company. We had 15 hour smoked beef, pulled pork and smoked turkey breast, together with various salads and mushrooms etc. The meat was fantastic, the most tender and delicious that I have ever eaten. My eldest daughter Lyndsay had made a two tier cake, based on 'Game of Thrones' which I guessed was 10% icing, 20% fruit, 10% flour and 60% Cointreau!!!! The cake was cut with a replica of John Snow's wolf headed sword.

Lyndsay's cake.

After the meal I got up to make my speech which seemed to be well received as several people complemented me on it afterwards. After the speeches we all went outside and set off sparkler fireworks (fortunately with no casualties).

My speech.

A party was held in the evening with a lot more friends joining us. We had a dance floor and a DJ and Sophie and Jimmy had hired in some interactive Nintendo Game machines (where you dress up in hats/gloves and, after the game, the machines print an embarrassing photo of the players). Not my kind of thing but the younger guests really enjoyed it. Pizzas and doughnuts were delivered for the party guests to eat and proved to be very popular.

We left the venue by taxi at 11:50pm as Sophie and Jimmy were heading to another hotel for the night. As I write this they are currently on a BA jet en route to Austin, Texas, for their honeymoon (which I am sure will involve a barbecue or three!).

As I said, it was a very different wedding, but one that went off without a single hitch and was thoroughly enjoyed by everybody. Our eldest daughter Lyndsay is engaged and will no doubt be married in the not too distant future. Her fiancé, Dirk, is South African and we are not sure if that wedding will be held over there or over here.

Lyndsay and Dirk, South Africa or UK?
Geoff

Cruises Booked

"Quantum of the Seas" - China & Japan - Autumn 2018
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

My daughter's wedding

Postby Borneo » 06 Nov 2017 19:03

Lovely photos. Sounds a very interesting wedding and venue. Why not have something different if everyone enjoyed it.
Made me think of my daughters wedding 25 years ago now . Any wedding is memorable.
May they have many years of happiness together .
Julia
Borneo
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
United Kingdom

My daughter's wedding

Postby grannyM » 06 Nov 2017 19:32

That was a real treat to read and look at the photos Geoff. Thank you very much for sharing such an important day with us. I wish your daughter and son-in-law every happiness in the years ahead. :)

The venue, the GOTs theme in the clothes, reception and cake was a great idea. Everything looked absolutely beautiful and btw, you were looking very easy on the eye yourself Geoff. ;)

I think it is wonderful that young people nowadays have such clear ideas about how they want their wedding. Good luck to them I think.

21 years ago my younger daughter made it quite clear what she and her now husband wanted for their wedding and we were only too happy to go provide it. It was a wonderful day and lots of the guests (our friends included) said it was the best wedding 'party' they had ever been to. That's what they wanted, and that's what they got and I'm pleased to say they are still as happy 21 years on as they were that day.
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

My daughter's wedding

Postby Trace » 06 Nov 2017 19:44

That was a really lovely read Geoff and fabulous photos, looks like a fabulous day all round. You must have been so proud. :)
Tracey :-)
Trace
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: My daughter's wedding

Postby khkate » 06 Nov 2017 20:51

Wow - ot sounds and looks like it was an amazing day - lots of wonderful memories created that day. Thank you so much for sharing it all with us. I'm sure that your other daughter's wedding day will be just as memorable, wherever it is held. As we used to live in Essex, we visited Colchester a few times - we never went into the castle, but certainly viewed it from the outside.
Future Cruises - Baltics, Canaries Canada, Med, Scandinavia
khkate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

My daughter's wedding

Postby bobbyoscar » 06 Nov 2017 23:16

That was lovely to read, Geoff.

I've visited Colchester Castle many times with hordes of children.

Thank you for sharing.

Cruises booked:
October 2018 – P & O Oriana - Cadiz - Catania - Corigliano Calabro – Venice –Zadar - Dubrovnik - Kotor - Corfu - Gibraltar
February 2019 – P & O Aurora - Andalsnes – Tromso – Alta – Stavanger
September 2019 - P & O Azura - Malaga -Messina - Mykonos - Piraeus - Santorini - Katakolon - Gibraltar
bobbyoscar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

My daughter's wedding

Postby judgegeoff » 07 Nov 2017 08:31

Thank you very much for your kind comments ladies, they are much appreciated and I will pass your good wishes on to Sophie and Jimmy when I next speak to them. Yes, it was certainly very different, not at all 'traditional', but it was what the couple wanted and everybody there that I spoke to said that they had a fantastic time (as we did!). :)
Geoff

Cruises Booked

"Quantum of the Seas" - China & Japan - Autumn 2018
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

My daughter's wedding

Postby adogap » 07 Nov 2017 11:46

Fabulous photos, a great venue and clearly a good day had by all. Thank you for sharing Geoff

Chris
Xmas, Queen Victoria, Dec. 2017
Baltic Cities, Balmoral, June 2018
Canada, Queen Mary 2, September 2018
adogap
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Camela » 07 Nov 2017 16:18

Lovely read Geoff which really gave the flavour and atmosphere of the day and congratulations to all and the father of the bride! Colchester is my home town so I know the castle so well and have kept in touch with visits over the years.
"Won't you let me take you on a sea cruise"
Camela
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
England

Postby hazel20 » 07 Nov 2017 17:57

Thanks for sharing the day with us Geoff - looked lovely
http://www.hazeljgriffiths.net

Future Lecture Cruises:
Saga Pearl II - Christmas 2017