Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Candlelight Sudoku

Candlelight Sudoku

If you can't decide where a new topic should go, then put it here.

Candlelight Sudoku

Postby CGBOWLER » 10 Nov 2017 11:11

I was watching Paul O'Grady last night when the power had a little blip. Everything went off completely for a couple of seconds then it all came back on.
A minute or two later everything went off and it did not come back on again. Time about 8-45pm.
Fortunately:-
1) always have a small torch in my handbag.( I use it when I go upstairs so as not to put a light on and waken OH up.)
2) used the torch to find the positively ancient box of candles I miraculously remembered were in a kitchen cupboard.
3) still have a few cigarette lighters, unused for over two years, so managed to light a couple of candles.
4) insisted on having an electric oven and a GAS hob when we had a new kitchen installed many years ago, so we were able to boil a pan of water to make tea.
5) Also found a box of matches but they wouldn't strike as they are years old. So, lit a match with a lighter and then lit the gas hob to boil the water.

That's why I ended up doing Sudoku puzzles by candlelight.

I did not go to bed because the stairlift wasn't lit up and I did not know whether it would work or not. :roll: It bleeps a lot when it gets annoyed.
We have a newish electric door to the garage and don't know if it works during a power cut. :?
Power finally returned at 6.15am. I don't know yet why it went off for nine and a half hours.
The stuff in the freezers seems ok except the soft scoop icecream which is truly soft scoop now.
I can't remember the last time we had a power cut and I certainly was not expecting one but I'm going to buy some matches just in case. I'd have been livid if I had not been able to light the gas :evil:
Irene
CGBOWLER
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Candlelight Sudoku

Postby grannyM » 10 Nov 2017 11:30

Sorry to hear of your long dark night Irene. :(

Thank goodness you had candles, old lighters that still worked and gas on the hob for a cuppa and Sudoku to keep you occupied. :)
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Candlelight Sudoku

Postby judgegeoff » 10 Nov 2017 11:43

Very annoying Irene, but I am glad that your freezer contents were not affected (except for the 'soft' scoop :lol: ). It is important to keep the lids/doors of freezers closed during power cuts as, unopened, the contents will remain frozen for a very long time.

We live in a fairly rural area and, until a few years ago, the power supplies to our house were uninsulated on telephone type poles - 5 wires (red, yellow and blue phases, neutral and earth). Our supplies were very susceptible to interruption during high winds and we had numerous power cuts. The 5 wires have now been replaced with a single multistrand insulated cable and, since then we have had no further problems during storms. It also looks a lot neater.

For some reason the power workers did not use the existing pole outside our house, but installed another new pole right next to the old (redundant) pole. Funnily enough, early this morning, our doorbell rang and it was a gang from the power company who had come to remove the old pole and they were asking who owned the car that was parked next to the car - we had no idea. The pole has now been pulled out using a small crane and the resultant hole is currently being filled. It looks a lot better with just one pole.

I always have to carry a small mini hand torch in my pockets as I have no feeling in my lower legs and, if faced with sudden darkness, I fall over as I rely on sight for balance as my brain gets no feedback from the legs. It is however very surprising how handy that little torch can be in general situations!
Geoff

Cruises Booked

"Quantum of the Seas" - China & Japan - Autumn 2018
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Candlelight Sudoku

Postby Meg50 » 10 Nov 2017 14:53

I hope you have a downstairs loo too
Meg
Meg50
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Candlelight Sudoku

Postby divingbrit » 10 Nov 2017 21:19

We have a small gaz (camping gas) cooker and two spare canisters, in what looks like a kids suitcase, only used once in thirty odd years, but it is our insurance, a hot cup of coffee makes the world right again!
Scuba diving is not a Sport its an Art
divingbrit
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Candlelight Sudoku

Postby CGBOWLER » 10 Nov 2017 22:35

grannyM wrote:Sorry to hear of your long dark night Irene. :(

Thank goodness you had candles, old lighters that still worked and gas on the hob for a cuppa and Sudoku to keep you occupied. :)

Thanks Marie.
Had what was needed but didn't half miss my laptop :(
Irene
CGBOWLER
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Candlelight Sudoku

Postby CGBOWLER » 10 Nov 2017 22:51

judgegeoff wrote:Very annoying Irene, but I am glad that your freezer contents were not affected (except for the 'soft' scoop :lol: ). It is important to keep the lids/doors of freezers closed during power cuts as, unopened, the contents will remain frozen for a very long time.

We live in a fairly rural area and, until a few years ago, the power supplies to our house were uninsulated on telephone type poles - 5 wires (red, yellow and blue phases, neutral and earth). Our supplies were very susceptible to interruption during high winds and we had numerous power cuts. The 5 wires have now been replaced with a single multistrand insulated cable and, since then we have had no further problems during storms. It also looks a lot neater.

For some reason the power workers did not use the existing pole outside our house, but installed another new pole right next to the old (redundant) pole. Funnily enough, early this morning, our doorbell rang and it was a gang from the power company who had come to remove the old pole and they were asking who owned the car that was parked next to the car - we had no idea. The pole has now been pulled out using a small crane and the resultant hole is currently being filled. It looks a lot better with just one pole.

I always have to carry a small mini hand torch in my pockets as I have no feeling in my lower legs and, if faced with sudden darkness, I fall over as I rely on sight for balance as my brain gets no feedback from the legs. It is however very surprising how handy that little torch can be in general situations!

The torch was needed because it was pitch black in the house. The street lights were still on but they don't shed any light downstairs in the house because we are on a private road just off the main road and there are trees and a building between.
Irene
CGBOWLER
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Re: Candlelight Sudoku

Postby CGBOWLER » 10 Nov 2017 22:59

Meg50 wrote:I hope you have a downstairs loo too

Yes, we do have a downstairs loo too. I wouldn't want to live in a house without one or should I say without two? :D
Irene
CGBOWLER
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Candlelight Sudoku

Postby CGBOWLER » 10 Nov 2017 23:35

divingbrit wrote:We have a small gaz (camping gas) cooker and two spare canisters, in what looks like a kids suitcase, only used once in thirty odd years, but it is our insurance, a hot cup of coffee makes the world right again!

You never know when you might need it. :thumbup:
Irene
CGBOWLER
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Candlelight Sudoku

Postby CGBOWLER » 10 Nov 2017 23:53

I phoned Northern Powergrid this morning and spoke to a very obliging lady who told me that the cut was caused by "a very large fault" which had affected 1900 customers.
She did some checking then assured me that a permanent repair had been done.
Irene
CGBOWLER
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Next

Return to or something completely different!