Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Thomson/Tui Spirit

Thomson/Tui Spirit

Thomson/Tui Spirit

Postby Marrob 33 » 24 Nov 2017 18:49

We went on this ship many years ago, but it didn't seem the same in many ways.
it started from Limassol, and the itinerary was alanya and Marmaris in Turkey; Heraklion in Crete,and after a day at sea had two days at Ashdodd, before returning to Limassol.

We had not been to Alanya before so we went on Thomson's excursion called Castle. Cave and City. Our guide was very knowledgeable, so it was interesting. The cave's humidity was apparently very good for people who were asthmatic,but you needed to be careful on the steps to the lower level, as it was difficult to see in the light that was available.

We'd stayed in Marmarie, so we had a wander around on our own. It had been modernised a great deal, so the old atmosphere of the market was gone.
Since neither of us likes sitting too long in buses,and the programmes in Bethlehem and Jerusalem were long, we decided not to go on those tours, and they were very crowded, so we opted to have lazy days while in Ashdodd. we all had to disembark to go through customs, even those who were not visiting, but it didn't take all that long.

Our disappointment was with the ship. We had heard it was a "tired" ship, and it definitely was. None of the cabins had a mini bar, so cans of soft drinks and water bottles were on top of the drawers. I had to take some eye drops with me,which should have been kept in a fridge, but the only one was at reception, which was no use, and the only help was to have the ice bucket changed twice daily. Some nights it was not cold enough for any drops to come out of the bottle. we were going to stay fow the second week in Paphos, so i had to miss out for a couple of nights.

We were at alexander the Great hotel, not too far from the harbour and port,and luckily there was a pharmacist opposite the hotel. I had my prescription form with me,and the chemist said she had the same drops and was able to let me have some. she told me theses were new ones that didn't need to be stored in a fridge unless the temperature was more than 25degrees. The old ones had been 30 euros, but the newer ones were just over eleven and a half euros.
The meals on Spirit were much the same through the week. They used thyme when they cooked beef, which I found was very peculiar, and the second night it was on the menu, i asked if it had been cooked with Thyme,and told no, it was quite different. When my plate arrived, there were two long sprigs of Thyme on top, so I sent it back and had some piri piri chicken instead.
The cabin was on deck 8, at the end of the suites; it had one window, but there was no obstruction, unlike ones on the deck below us. Someone told us that the real reason the spirit had be kept longer than the original time had more to do with the fact that the ship which was to take its place was not ready, so Spirit was kept on "by popular demand"
I've not yet had time to transfer my photos from my camera to my PC, so have no idea if there are any suitable ones.

The one very good part of the cruise was the crew and entertainment team. The evening shows were extremely well presented, and the crew were all very friendly and helpful.
Marrob 33
Commander
Commander

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Thomson/Tui Spirit

Postby judgegeoff » 24 Nov 2017 19:38

Many thanks for taking the time to post this review of your recent cruise Marrob, it is always good to get other members opinions of a ship. :thumbup: It is a shame that the ship was rather disappointing for you. :(
Geoff

Cruises Booked

"Quantum of the Seas" - China & Japan - Autumn 2018
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Thomson/Tui Spirit

Postby Trace » 24 Nov 2017 20:59

Enjoyed your review, thankyou.
We went on the Spirit in 2011... Had such a fabulous week, great itinerary, (Greek islands...) fantastic entertainment, amazing crew, brilliant food..... But we didn't like the ship... Very tired and dated.. We had a big cabin on deck 6, promenade deck, which was lovely and a great location but I missed having a balcony.
Everything else about this week was superb, probs one of the most fun filled weeks we have had, but for us, the ship is the biggest part of the holiday.
Tracey :-)
Trace
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Thomson/Tui Spirit

Postby tomvet » 25 Nov 2017 01:58

Thanks for the review - we loved our informal impromptu forum cruise on her back in 2014!
April 2018 - Phoenix Reisen M/S Asara - Cologne - Amsterdam - Ijsselmeer - Hoorn - Rotterdam - Gorinchem - Arnheim - Cologne
October 18 - MSC Opera - Marseille - Mahon - Cagliari - Valetta - Messina - Naples - Genoa
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Thomson/Tui Spirit

Postby adogap » 25 Nov 2017 10:37

Thank you, it is always good to learn about a ship from every perspective. I have not sailed with TUI / Marella but have read some good reviews and think the entertainment would be very suitable for us. Would be interested to know what the weather in Cyprus was like at this time of year.

Chris

Xmas, Queen Victoria, Dec. 2017
Baltic Cities, Balmoral, June 2018
Canada, Queen Mary 2, September 2018
adogap
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Thomson/Tui Spirit

Postby grannyM » 25 Nov 2017 11:53

Thanks for that Marrob - sorry the ship was not up to expectations. A friend was on it last year and was also slightly disappointed but did say the same as you about the crew and entertainment. :)
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Thomson/Tui Spirit

Postby Gillzajoker » 25 Nov 2017 16:24

Thank you for your review, Marie - good when someone 'tells it like it is'. Hope that, all in all, you enjoyed your holiday. :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain