Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Cruise Select's River Cruise Ships Report from Amsterdam

Cruise Select's River Cruise Ships Report from Amsterdam

Featured Agent

Postby cruiseselect » 29 Nov 2017 10:25

Sorry for the delay, here is our report from our recent trip to the River Convention in Amsterdam....

So we got back from Amsterdam a week ago after spending the weekend at the annual CLIA River Cruise Convention.

Riviera1.jpg

We got to visit 4 river cruise ships – MS Symphonie (Croisi Europe), Emily Bronte (Riviera Travel), Amadeus Silver III (Amadeus River Cruises), Scenic Jade (Scenic). We were also meant to visit AROSA Flora but she was stuck up the Rhine as the lock had been closed and wouldn’t reopen until later that day.

We were really excited to see the river cruise ships as river cruising is becoming much more popular and in the last few years the number of river cruise ships available has increased considerably in numbers.

Here's a short summary about each ship –

EMILY BRONTE (Riviera) – 5* ship, new for 2017
We were lucky enough to stay overnight onboard this beautiful ship. First impressions as we stepped onboard was how elegant everything looked. There were chandeliers hanging from the ceiling, a stunning atrium, and beautiful décor with gleaming brass furnishings. After checking in, we made our way to our cabins, located on the lower deck. Our cabins were small but cosy, with all the essentials one would need. We had just a small window, which you will find on the lower deck cabins. If you choose a cabin on the middle or upper deck you will have panoramic floor to ceiling windows.
All cabins come with tea & coffee making facilities, which I believe is the only river cruise line to offer this. This is a much-loved benefit for the British market.
Facilities onboard include a stunning restaurant on the Main Deck serving buffet breakfast, buffet lunch and four-course dinner, lounge and bar, Bistro with open kitchen, large panoramic windows and al fresco seating – holding a maximum of 20 people, this dining option offers a more intimate setting.
We enjoyed a wonderful 4-course dinner, and the following morning a very tasty breakfast, with so much choice we didn’t know where to start.
95% of the passengers onboard are British. 5 cabins on each ship are offered with no single supplement on each itinerary and these these cabins get booked up extremely quickly.

We absolutely loved the style and feel of Emily Bronte and wouldn’t hesitate to travel on her in the future. We have some clients travelling onboard her soon so we hope they love her as much as we did.

IMG_5807.JPG

Atrium Small IMG_5775.jpg

Cabin Small IMG_5810.jpg

AMADEUS SILVER III – a stunning and contemporary river cruise ship with an intimate feel.
All cabins feature opening floor-to-ceiling windows, queen sized bed, a spacious wardrobe and robes and slippers.
The Sun Deck features lots of seating, shuffleboard, chess board and lido bar.
The design for new ships entering the Amadeus fleet will include a pool with a retractable roof
Although many river cruise ships do not have children’s facilities onboard, Amadeus have found that more and more children are travelling, particularly in the summer holidays. Amadeus are happy to cater for children and offer buffet menus including burgers, chips etc, popcorn and movie nights, mini disco and interconnecting rooms.

We were really impressed with this ship, the decor and design was impressive and we were made to feel very welcome whilst onboard.

amadeus7.jpg

Amadeus.jpg

SCENIC JADE – a five-star luxury space-ship carrying 169 guests in 85 cabins.
I had been looking forward to seeing a Scenic ship and I was not disappointed. She was modern, light and spacious featuring everything you could ever wish for - from a gym, spa and wellness areas, to complimentary WiFi. Everything is offered at no additional cost thanks to Scenic’s comprehensive ultra-all-inclusive service.
All balcony suites feature Scenic’s exclusive Scenic ‘Sun Lounge’ system which transforms your balcony into an all-weather conservatory style space. Every cabin has their own private butler!
The top deck offers an all-weather seating area and a state-of-the-art vitality pool.
The guests onboard are mainly Australian, American and British.

This is luxury river cruising at its best! She is a beautiful, luxurious ship and the cruise director Werney was fantastic, so fantastic in fact, that guests will only book on the cruises that he will be on. For me personally I don’t know if I would be comfortable with asking a butler to run me a bath when I am capable to do it myself, but everyone has their own tastes, standards and expectations. It all comes down to personal preference.

Scenic Jade b.jpg

Scenic 178.jpg

MS SYMPHONIE (Croisi Euorpe) is one of Croisi Europe’s premium ships.
She holds just over 100 passengers and is a clean and comfortable ship.
Facilities include a restaurant, lounge bar with dance floor and large sundeck.
The cabins all offer large floor to ceiling windows.
Excursions are optional extras.

Personally, this ship was not to my taste, mainly because of the décor. Having said that, the images we saw of the other Croisi ships, looked much better. I think if you are travelling on a budget them this could be the cruise line to consider.

Croisi Europe Exterior.jpg

Croisi Europe a.jpg

Happy Cruising
Kerry :thumbup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cruiseselect
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby judgegeoff » 29 Nov 2017 13:22

Many thanks for your report of your visit to the river ships at Amsterdam Kelly. :clap:

As you wrote, river cruising is becoming more popular and it is always very useful to get the opinion of someone who has been able to visit several different ships. We have only been on one river cruise, on the River Rhone aboard the 'Viking Heimdal', but thoroughly enjoyed the experience and would certainly like to do another river cruise in the future. We really enjoyed the modern Scandinavian design and décor of Viking's ships which is more to our taste than some of the other lines who, in my opinion, make their décor too fancy.

We found the advantages of a river cruise included :-

There is almost always interesting views from the river.
The ships usually moor within easy walking distance of the town centres.
No queueing to go through the X-Ray machines - there aren't any! in fact no queueing for anything.
The limited number of passengers (typically between 100 and 200) makes the ship more intimate.
Viking offer a choice of several excursions (most included) at each port, with one being tailored to people with limited mobility.
Geoff

Cruises Booked

"Quantum of the Seas" - China & Japan - Autumn 2018
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby cruiseselect » 29 Nov 2017 13:33

judgegeoff wrote:Many thanks for your report of your visit to the river ships at Amsterdam Kelly. :clap:

As you wrote, river cruising is becoming more popular and it is always very useful to get the opinion of someone who has been able to visit several different ships. We have only been on one river cruise, on the River Rhone aboard the 'Viking Heimdal', but thoroughly enjoyed the experience and would certainly like to do another river cruise in the future. We really enjoyed the modern Scandinavian design and décor of Viking's ships which is more to our taste than some of the other lines who, in my opinion, make their décor too fancy.

We found the advantages of a river cruise included :-

There is almost always interesting views from the river.
The ships usually moor within easy walking distance of the town centres.
No queueing to go through the X-Ray machines - there aren't any! in fact no queueing for anything.
The limited number of passengers (typically between 100 and 200) makes the ship more intimate.
Viking offer a choice of several excursions (most included) at each port, with one being tailored to people with limited mobility.

It's great to hear that you have enjoyed a river cruise before and you've summed up the advantages of a river cruise really well. It's definitely a more intimate feel then ocean cruising, and there are some fantastic river ships out there for people to enjoy.
cruiseselect
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom