Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Princess cruises Captain's Circle changes

Princess cruises Captain's Circle changes

Postby grannyM » 03 Dec 2017 19:52

I received an e.mail yesterday about changes to P&O loyalty status recognised by Princess.

Important Information: Princess Cruises' Captain's Circle Loyalty Scheme

Dear Guest,

Thank you for being a loyal member of the Princess Cruises Captain's Circle Club. Previously, Princess Cruises has recognised your sailings history from its sister brand, P&O Cruises. This meant guests were awarded with increased membership benefits, based on sailings from both P&O Cruises and Princess Cruises.

As our brands continue to grow and evolve, so must our loyalty programmes. With this in mind Princess Cruises is ending the P&O Cruises’ sailings recognition effective from Tuesday 12 December 2017.

Details regarding the update can be found below:
1. P&O Cruises bookings that are booked by (inclusive of) Tuesday 12 December 2017 will still count towards Princess Cruises' Captain's Circle Membership.
2. P&O Cruises bookings that are booked on or after Wednesday 13 December 2017 will not count towards Princess Cruises' Captain's Circle Membership.
3. Guests who have previously sailed with Princess Cruises will still have their completed P&O Cruises sailings count towards Princess Cruises’ Captain's Circle Membership and will not drop in loyalty tier due to the change on Tuesday 12 December 2017. For example, if you have sailed before onboard Princess Cruises as an ‘Elite’ Member, you will sail again onboard Princess Cruises as an ‘Elite’ Member.
Please visit https://book.princess.com/captaincircle/membershipBenefits.page to familiarise yourself with the details on member benefits.
4. If a guest has P&O Cruises sailings history but zero Princess Cruises sailings history, they will show as a new Princess Cruises guest against any bookings confirmed after Tuesday 12 December 2017.

Yours faithfully,
Princess Cruises
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby Borneo » 03 Dec 2017 20:55

That makes it all clear doesn't it !!!
Borneo
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby grannyM » 04 Dec 2017 10:44

Borneo wrote:That makes it all clear doesn't it !!!

Yes Julia, it takes reading a few times to understand. However for those of us who have never understood why P&O status was recognised by Princess, but not the other way about, it's about time it was changed. :?
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby Gillzajoker » 04 Dec 2017 15:47

Don't think it will affect me - am Elite with Princess, but only done one P&O cruise and unlikely to do another - but thanks for posint - I haven't received an email from them. :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby grannyM » 04 Dec 2017 17:59

Gillzajoker wrote:Don't think it will affect me - am Elite with Princess, but only done one P&O cruise and unlikely to do another - but thanks for posint - I haven't received an email from them. :D

You will always be 'Elite' to me Gill. ;)

If anyone gained a status on Princess, with P&O transfer and Princess points, before now they will keep it. It will only be people doing their first Princess cruise that will not transfer the status from P&O.
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby keith6400 » 04 Dec 2017 22:07

grannyM wrote:
Borneo wrote:That makes it all clear doesn't it !!!

Yes Julia, it takes reading a few times to understand. However for those of us who have never understood why P&O status was recognised by Princess, but not the other way about, it's about time it was changed. :?

The email is actually a little ambiguous but has been clarified to me.

If you go back far enough you can understand the relationship between P&O and Princess. Basically P&O purchased Princess Cruise Line and formed a new cruise line - P&O Princess Cruises. This company then traded as a single entity. The next significant thing to happen was Carnival Corporation purchased this company and then decided to split it into two separate companies; P&O for the UK market and Princess Cruises for the international and US market. This meant that loyalty on either could not easily be split as it related to both in the single entity era.

Because of this different loyalty schemes were contrived for each; Princess run a scheme which tallied number of days sailed and number of cruises completed from this they have a score of "cruise credits" which on the cruises completed score side you get extra added credits for solo occupation of a cabin and extra credits for travelling in a suite. The P&O scheme ran exclusively on number of nights sailed exclusively and did not tally number of cruises completed. The P&O scheme simply counted the number of nights and you get ten points per night for your P&O score.

Princess recognised P&O sailings on the exact same basis that you would have got if it were one of their own sailings with the exceptions of not getting any bonus cruise credit points for sole cabin occupancy or sailing in a suite. The next bit was abandoned years ago and that is that P&O used to recognise Princess Sailings in their scoring system at half points. You got five points per night on a Princess Cruise. This was stopped so long ago and so few people sailed on both lines it is virtually unknown by modern cruisers.

Clarification of the new Princess system is that if you completed any Princess Cruise already all your P&O sailing history will be included in your Princess cruise credit score and you retain your status in the Captain's Circle. Conversely if you have completed a hundred P&O cruises but zero Princess Cruises your Princess cruise credit score will be zero and you will be a newcomer with a "Blue Card" and not yet part of the Captain's Circle.

Regards Keith
keith6400
Commander
Commander

Postby Mungo » 10 Dec 2017 12:09

Well I'm Elite with Princess and enjoy the benefits it offers. Far better than P&O loyalty benefits.

It could be the start of a new loyalty system with Princess? I believe their numbers of Elite passengers has greater increased in recent years.
Mungo
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Gillzajoker » 11 Dec 2017 17:28

grannyM wrote:
Gillzajoker wrote:Don't think it will affect me - am Elite with Princess, but only done one P&O cruise and unlikely to do another - but thanks for posint - I haven't received an email from them. :D

You will always be 'Elite' to me Gill. ;)

Awwww, thanks, Marie :oops: :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain