Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Hywel Sele Lodge, Snowdonia

Hywel Sele Lodge, Snowdonia

Re: Hywel Sele Lodge, Snowdonia

Postby rdw123 » 05 Jun 2019 07:25

Well done. You are hardy souls. It would have defeated me, i’m a fair weather walker now! Hope you get slightly less damp conditions for the rest of the week. Enjoy.
rdw123
Commander
Commander

Postby Gillzajoker » 05 Jun 2019 08:56

rdw123 wrote:Well done. You are hardy souls. It would have defeated me, i’m a fair weather walker now! Hope you get slightly less damp conditions for the rest of the week. Enjoy.

Hardy souls? Masochists, more likely! :lol:
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby Dave » 05 Jun 2019 15:20

Thank you all for the contributions... :-)

Today's walk was completely flat!

We drove down the hill to Dolgellau and took a bus to Barmouth. After a quick look around, we crossed the extremely long pedestrian/rail bridge to join a route called the Mawddach Trail which we followed all the way back to Dolgellau. Easy! :-)

Waiting for the bus in Dolgellau. This would be our first bus ride in more than ten years...

A somewhat empty Barmouth on a wet and windy June morning:

Leaving Barmouth behind, we arrived at the almost half-mile long (honesty) toll bridge:

Someone once said that the walk between Dolgellau and Barmouth is the best river walk in the world. Okay, the person who said it was probably Welsh, but they might well be right - even on a dull, drizzly day it's an absolutely stunning walk!

Not far before Dolgellau we stopped for coffee near a road toll bridge:

Arriving back in Dolgellau. We walked around the quaint town, bought some cakes, and drove back to the castle... ;-)

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Gillzajoker » 06 Jun 2019 08:03

What a grey day! But still interesting photos, Dave! :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby Dave » 06 Jun 2019 18:28

The weather was better today, but we did get a downpour at the top of a mountain!

We broke several records today on what we both agree has been our toughest walk/climb ever. We did two mountains, achieving our highest total ascent, at our slowest overall pace!

The image shows the climb up Aran Benllyn and Aran Fawddwy. (We returned the same way.) The distance was almost 12 miles and it took us nearly 8 hours.

For comparison, Aran Benllyn is about 9m shorter than Cadair Idris while Aran Fawddwy is about 12m taller! The summits are 1.5 miles apart.

Setting off past sheep:

Spectacular views looking back towards Bala Lake:

A small lake near the first summit:

From the summit of Aran Benllyn:

It poured with rain as we headed for Aran Fawddwy and we seriously considered giving up, but there was some clear sky in the distance so we persevered:

The climb to the top of Aran Fawddwy was very rocky and hard work, but it was worth it. The views were fantastic!

...and looking back to Aran Benllyn:

Descending was far harder than we'd expected because the terrain was rocky, marshy, and very steep! But at least the weather steadily improved. :-)

Nearly back:

It's a fantastic feeling to be higher than anything or anyone for miles in all directions!

Dave

Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby judgegeoff » 06 Jun 2019 18:35

Well done Dave and Fred, a very considerable achievement, especially in view of the adverse weather at times. :clap:
Geoff

Booked cruise :-
"MSC Orchestra" - Cape Town to Venice 2020 (now virtual)
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Dave » 06 Jun 2019 20:11

judgegeoff wrote:Well done Dave and Fred, a very considerable achievement, especially in view of the adverse weather at times. :clap:
Thanks Geoff. Fred tells me to mention that she really, really didn't want to do the second peak, but she suffered in silence just for me...

Dave

Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Camela » 07 Jun 2019 09:04

What a lovely wife you have, Dave. I'm afraid I wouldn't have done that :cry:
"Won't you let me take you on a sea cruise"
Camela
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
England

Postby Gillzajoker » 07 Jun 2019 09:59

Well done Dave and Fred - and those pictures are stunning! :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby Dave » 07 Jun 2019 15:44

For our final walk of the week, we did a panoramic circuit in the area overlooking Barmouth and Cardigan Bay.

The weather forecast was for a very wet day, but it wasn't too bad - it started off a bit damp and steadily progressed to quite serious rain. A fairly typical day in Snowdonia. ;-)

We parked at the end of a long, winding, and very narrow lane and headed for a nearby viewpoint with wonderful views of the Barmouth estuary:

Then we continued in an anticlockwise direction through woodland at first...

...and then open countryside and always steeply upwards to a quite significant height where again the views were fantastic:

We crested a hill and followed a delightful track with views across Cardigan Bay. As we headed towards Barmouth we came across a long abandoned settlement:

It was raining quite wetly by now so we decided not to go down into Barmouth for coffee. Instead, we followed a track that provided yet more amazing views...

We also had a great view of the bridge we crossed a couple of days ago...

And that's it - We've had another wet and wonderful Welsh holiday. We'll be back! :-)

Dave

Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

PreviousNext

Return to Accommodation & non-cruising holidays