Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Query re. Marella excursions

Query re. Marella excursions

Postby judgegeoff » 24 Oct 2019 10:07

My wife Chris and I are shortly going on a "Marella Dream" cruise to Turkey, Crete and Israel. Can somebody please confirm that I am correct in thinking that passengers going on this ship's excursions assemble on land, rather than in the ship's theatre or lounges as on other Line's ships? Both of us have slight mobility issues and hate the race down through the ship's decks, trying to keep up with a crew member with a 'paddle' and then finding that only the worst seats are left on the coach. Making our own way down, in our own time, would be much better for us (and for most passengers I would suspect!). many thanks in advance.
Geoff

Booked cruise :-
"Marella Dream" - Turkey, Greece and Israel 2019
"MSC Orchestra" - Cape Town to Venice 2020
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Dave » 24 Oct 2019 16:48

judgegeoff wrote:My wife Chris and I are shortly going on a "Marella Dream" cruise to Turkey, Crete and Israel. Can somebody please confirm that I am correct in thinking that passengers going on this ship's excursions assemble on land, rather than in the ship's theatre or lounges as on other Line's ships? Both of us have slight mobility issues and hate the race down through the ship's decks, trying to keep up with a crew member with a 'paddle' and then finding that only the worst seats are left on the coach. Making our own way down, in our own time, would be much better for us (and for most passengers I would suspect!). many thanks in advance.

Hi Geoff

We've done lots of cruises with TUI and scores of excursions and the system has nearly always been the same - be on the dockside or get to the coach at the stated time. Simple! :thumbup:

After years of being patronised by Fred Olsen and others, it was so nice to find that TUI treats passengers like responsible adults... ;)
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby judgegeoff » 24 Oct 2019 17:33

Dave wrote:
judgegeoff wrote:My wife Chris and I are shortly going on a "Marella Dream" cruise to Turkey, Crete and Israel. Can somebody please confirm that I am correct in thinking that passengers going on this ship's excursions assemble on land, rather than in the ship's theatre or lounges as on other Line's ships? Both of us have slight mobility issues and hate the race down through the ship's decks, trying to keep up with a crew member with a 'paddle' and then finding that only the worst seats are left on the coach. Making our own way down, in our own time, would be much better for us (and for most passengers I would suspect!). many thanks in advance.

Hi Geoff

We've done lots of cruises with TUI and scores of excursions and the system has nearly always been the same - be on the dockside or get to the coach at the stated time. Simple! :thumbup:

After years of being patronised by Fred Olsen and others, it was so nice to find that TUI treats passengers like responsible adults... ;)

Thanks Dave, excellent, I am really looking forward to the cruise now. :clap:
Geoff

Booked cruise :-
"Marella Dream" - Turkey, Greece and Israel 2019
"MSC Orchestra" - Cape Town to Venice 2020
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Gillzajoker » 25 Oct 2019 09:50

Have a wonderful time, Geoff! :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Re: Query re. Marella excursions

Postby khkate » 26 Oct 2019 09:28

Even Sage are now treating their passengers like responsible adults now. It used to be that you would have to go to the main lounge area and get "stickered" there and then when the coach was ready, they would send you down - and woe betide, if you tried to get there early!

On the last cruise we did - on the new ship - they now tell you a time to be at the gangplank and they "sticker" you as you disembark, offering you free bottles of water as well. It seemed to work well and tours got away without any problem.
CRUISES BOOKED:
Spirit of Discovery - Feb 2020, April 2020, August 2020, Dec 2020
Spirit of Adventure - September 2020
khkate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby rdw123 » 27 Oct 2019 08:20

Are they giving out bottles of water again? On Sapphire in August we all got a nice refillable water bottle in our cabin. It was and still is very handy.
rdw123
Commander
Commander

Postby Camela » 27 Oct 2019 17:20

We were surprised to find on our recent Crystal cruise that water wasn't available at gangway for going ashore. After 3 days Mr P enquired and was told you go to bar near reception and get it there. Obviously cruise lines are addressing plastic but please let guests know what the policy is.
"Won't you let me take you on a sea cruise"
Camela
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
England