Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - New Refund Credit Note for cancelled cruises.

New Refund Credit Note for cancelled cruises.

An area for topics about more general cruise-related matters.

Re: New Refund Credit Note for cancelled cruises.

Postby Camela » 13 May 2020 21:36

Agree. Think the card company is last resort. The same as if insurance will not pay out.
"Won't you let me take you on a sea cruise"
Camela
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
England

Postby bobbyoscar » 13 May 2020 22:25

judgegeoff wrote:
bobbyoscar wrote:Geoff, what about contacting your credit card provider and ask them for help or if you paid by debit card contacting your bank and ask them to initiate a charge back.

I could be wrong, but I think that the credit card provider will only act if the TA company cannot or will not act. The TA company have just said that it will take time to make refunds.

From what I've been reading on various forums, some people complained to their credit card providers regarding how long their companies were taling to either refund or offering credit notes instead of refunds. They were reinbursed by their credit card provider. This was two weeks ago, so may have changed this week but something to think about.
Cruises booked:
June 2020 Celebrity Silhouette
- Bergen - Geiranger - Flam - Stavanger CANX
Sept 2020 Celebrity Silhouette - Madeira - Tenerife - Las Palmas - Lisbon- Vigo CANX
May 2021 Celebrity Silhouette - ST. PETER PORT - CORK (COBH) - WATERFORD(DUNMORE E) - DUBLIN - GLASGOW (GREENOCK) - AKUREYRI - REYKJAVIK - BELFAST
Aug 2021 Celebrity Silhouette GIBRALTAR – CARTAGENA – BARCELONA – VALENCIA – CADIZ - LISBON
bobbyoscar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby Peka » 14 May 2020 13:54

Iglu are still showing cruises available for sale and it lets you go into the booking process, for cruises sailing this month that are clearly cancelled! :roll:
Peka

Peka
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Gillzajoker » 15 May 2020 09:24

Peka wrote:Iglu are still showing cruises available for sale and it lets you go into the booking process, for cruises sailing this month that are clearly cancelled! :roll:

That is so wrong - wouldn't surprise me if they let you get as far as the paying stage! :evil:
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby judgegeoff » 15 May 2020 12:07

I suspect that the main problem is cash flow. The Travel Agents will be trying to get money back from the cruise companies and the airlines and they will be in no rush to hand the money over, especially as they are experiencing dire financial problems themselves.

Under 'The Package Travel and Linked Travel Arrangements Regulations 2018' the Travel Agents should refund the traveller within 14 days of the holiday being terminated. However, this is clearly not possible as it would probably mean nearly all Travel Agents going into liquidisation - a situation nobody would want.

I am owed over £6,000 by IGLU and am prepared to wait a reasonable time for a refund, provided I get one. However, what really annoys me is the fact that IGLU will not reply to any of my emails and, when I try to phone them, am either put on hold listening to awful music for at least an hour (at which point I give up) or receive a taped message advising me that they are not taking phone calls at that time.
Geoff

Booked cruise :-
"MSC Orchestra" - Cape Town to Venice 2020 (now virtual)
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Arizona » 15 May 2020 15:39

Obviously all the travel companies are having a nightmare at the moment but completely ignoring attempts at communication by their booked customers is unacceptable while at the same time encouraging future bookings for cruises which are never likely to happen. When this is all over we will remember those companies which did their best to be honest with us and treat us as valued customers. Interestingly Trailfinders Is one of the few travel companies which does not use customer deposits to fund its day to day operations so is currently contacting booked customers and making full refunds where requested. We did not have to contact Saga....they contacted us and it was easy to call them back too, despite the staff working from home.
Arizona
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Camela » 15 May 2020 19:55

All of us love to travel and want the industry to survive but the bottom line for me is that no-one's money should be kept to prop a company without their consent. That refund is vital for many. In my own case I want my money returned to use as I wish and as I am the Grey Pound it will go on travel in one way or another! DS had booked a Disney Florida more than a year ago, in ruins now so crossing fingers that Virgin and their Holidays survive and it might take place next year.
"Won't you let me take you on a sea cruise"
Camela
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
England

Postby Arizona » 16 May 2020 16:07

Quite agree. Companies should not be using customers’ money as an interest free loan without their agreement, whatever the situation. There will be many people whose circumstances are now much changed and who really need the return of their money ( which was paid for a service which can now not be delivered). At the very least companies should be communicating with their customers, even if only apologising for understandable delays. Personally we have often put various elements of a holiday together ourselves but I now see the difficulties this poses when things go wrong. Fortunately, apart from the March Saga cruise, we have nothing else booked this year.
Arizona
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby judgegeoff » 12 Jun 2020 17:54

Just to keep you advised of the progress (or not) with my Iglu booking.

Despite sending several emails to Iglu, I have not had a single reply from them, other than automated replies that advise me that I will be contacted within 14 days. Communication with them, unless it is for future sales, seems to be impossible.

This morning I received an email from them advising me of the benefits I would receive should I choose to accept their Refund Credit Note. As well as being able to use the total sum of the money I paid to Iglu to book a future cruise, I would be given £1173 future credit and a £375 loyalty credit from Iglu.

However, if I was to book a future cruise(s), using this credit, I am pretty certain that this would be off brochure prices (I have never paid brochure prices for any cruise).

On the Iglu website, on the section dealing with cancelled cruises, Refund Credit Notes and refunds is the following information under 'Frequently Asked Questions' :-

==========================

I have booked an ATOL protected package organised by Iglu, what will I receive in the way of refund?

You will be issued a Refund Credit Note, your money is protected as your credit note benefits from the same ATOL protection as your holiday. If you accept the credit note but have not rebooked your holiday by 31st January 2021 you will be entitled to a full refund at that point, otherwise you can request a refund which will be processed within 90 days of receiving the refund request. Copied from their website)

===========================

I managed to telephone a lady at Iglu Sales this afternoon and she advised me that Iglu cannot issue me with a refund until they themselves get a refund from MSC. Furthermore, MSC are taking the longest time of any cruise line to refund their travel agents - 120 days.

When I pointed out to the lady that, on their website, they quote 90 days for a refund, she apologised and told me "That must be a mistake".

On a brighter note, I have now received refunds from MSC for all the excursions and coffee and alcohol packages that we had purchased directly from them.

But I will not be using Iglu in the future - I cannot deal with a company that will not communicate with me.
Geoff

Booked cruise :-
"MSC Orchestra" - Cape Town to Venice 2020 (now virtual)
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Gillzajoker » 13 Jun 2020 13:22

Quite right, Geoff. That is very bad form! :evil:
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

PreviousNext