Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Saga

Saga

Saga

Postby MikeBR » 08 Apr 2012 09:32

Just back from our first 'Saga' river cruise on the Regina Rhesi 11. [Formally and built by 'Viking' as the Viking Seine, then 'The Caledonian Spirit' sailing under Noble Caledonia badge.
Ship was immaculate and did not show it's 12 year old age and this was down to the crew. I have never seen such a hard working yet happy group of people. We even watched the Captain painting then hand waxing & polishing the deck. The wife of the owner Andreia was also always about polishing , sweeping up, checking the table presentation. This is a company who lead from the top as an example to the staff, and it shows even when disembarking everyone was involved in helping passengers carrying their luggage from the Captain and owner down.
Food was just amazing, with the Hungarian head chef delivering 'Michelin * quality food at every meal including the presentation. Waiting staff were always discreetly on hand and the free wine and beer at lunch & dinner was always of good quality [ In case I had got carried away with the whole holiday we went to 'Chez Roix' at Gullane last night to compare, all in the name of research you know!].

We only took one of the 'Saga' excursions and that was the one in Amsterdam and it was OK, part coach & part canal boat, but other wise we could do most of them from the ship on foot and in the case of Cockem Castle walking it we beat the mini bus, but for some less fit passengers we could see the advantage to get up a fairly steep hill.
Entertainment in the evening was low key with 'Mr Music' playing and singing at the keyboard most nights, Bingo using playing cards one night, but one night we had a local group of male singers singing sea shanties which was very enjoyable.

Overall we had a very enjoyable cruise doing the Saga 'Rhine in Spring' trip. Exceptional crew & food & ship [Regina Rheni is only chartered to Saga and is owned by Rex-Rheni cruises]. We have made many new friends and have already arranged arranged follow up get together's with others who are bus pass holders, but who physically and mentally are still in their prime (we got the reputation of being 'The Naughty Table') but most of the other passengers were looking for a more sedate holiday.
So would we do it again? On this ship with that crew Yes :thumbup: , with 'Saga' I don't think so :thumbdown: , at the moment even being over 60, too sedate and quiet a holiday style for us.
MikeBR
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

National Flag:
Scotland

Re: Saga

Postby Mungo » 08 Apr 2012 09:55

Thanks Mike. :D

Glad you had a good time. River cruising has been added to my "to do" list! :D
Mungo
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Jimmy the One » 08 Apr 2012 10:05

Thanks Mike for the excellent honest review .I'm still not convinced we would prefer this to a larger ocean cruise though. :D
Jim
Last edited by Jimmy the One on 08 Apr 2012 10:15, edited 1 time in total.
Im just a soul whose intentions are good Oh lord please dont let me be misunderstood

Jimmy the One
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby JollyJill » 08 Apr 2012 10:06

Thanks Mike. I enjoyed reading your review and found it quite enlightening. About 4 years ago, we went on a land based Saga holiday in Croatia. Like yourself, we are over 60 but do like a bit of fun when we are on holiday but found that the majority of our fellow passengers on that paricular holiday had a 'waiting for God' attitude. It put me off Saga holidays for life. :thumbdown:

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby grannyM » 08 Apr 2012 17:07

Nice review Mike, and sounds like a very good ship. :)
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby Dave » 08 Apr 2012 19:15

Thanks for the review Mike. I'm still reluctant to consider Saga (for the reasons you give) but I googled 'your' ship and she looks very nice.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk
Dave
Booked cruise: Marella Explorer - Caribbean, Christmas 2018
Booked walking holidays: Easter: Cotswolds; Summer: Kintyre & Islay
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby MikeBR » 09 Apr 2012 18:12

JollyJill wrote:Thanks Mike. I enjoyed reading your review and found it quite enlightening. About 4 years ago, we went on a land based Saga holiday in Croatia. Like yourself, we are over 60 but do like a bit of fun when we are on holiday but found that the majority of our fellow passengers on that paricular holiday had a 'waiting for God' attitude. It put me off Saga holidays for life. :thumbdown:

We felt very lucky to meet up with others of the same '60+ going on 16'. :lol: 2 couple's from Cornwall who had to be over 70 but were game for anything and gave us a breakfast 'Dirty Joke' every morning, and two lady's from Ireland who kept us all laughing out loud for the whole holiday and flirted with any man that didn't use any form of walking aid and that is how we got the reputation as 'The Naughty Table'.
Even though we did have a good time with a fantastic crew and a chef who is obviously chasing a Michelin* we feel we have got to much energy for the average Saga client.
MikeBR
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

National Flag:
Scotland