Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Rhone cruise

Rhone cruise

Rhone cruise

Postby Meg50 » 17 Jul 2012 14:28

hi
I am within 24 hours of booking a Lyon/Lyon cruise on Amadeus Symphony - Luftner cruises.

We wanted to go this autumn but the only half way acceptable date only has one cabin left and I'm deeply suspicious of everyone else's reject.....

So I've sent for a quote for next May.

It's a no excursions included job, so we can decide what to do.
We still have to decide how to get to Lyon. whether to Eurostar changing at Lille - taking about 6 hours, or flying.
aLso possibly also adding a day or 2 on one end or the other.

same itinerary as this:
river cruise itinerary

Anyone done this river?
Meg
Meg50
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Rhone cruise

Postby ShipShape » 17 Jul 2012 14:38

Hello Meg

Can't help you with the River cruise but I have a number of times taken the TGV to past Lyon, and it's very smooth and convenient.

I always change in Paris rather than Lille which is very simple.

For France and Belgium, the train is always now the first option. Hope you enjoy whatever choice you make.

Iain
ShipShape
Commander
Commander

Postby Dave » 17 Jul 2012 16:43

The ship certainly looks nice! We're doing a Rhône cruise from Chalon-sur-Saône to Avignon with Viking but it's next Easter so I can't say anything helpful yet. :)
Dave
Booked cruise: Marella Explorer - Caribbean, Christmas 2018
Booked walking holidays: Easter: Cotswolds; Summer: Kintyre & Islay
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby grannyM » 17 Jul 2012 17:28

Meg,just in case your wondering what happened, I've edited your link to make it clickable. Sorry, I was about to post this 20 mins ago when I had a phone call.

I haven't anything to contribute to your river cruise question but like Shipshape we have travelled Eurostar to Paris and then TGV to other parts of France and can thoroughly recommend it. If it's easy for you to get to London I'd say it's a good way to do it. We have also used Eurostar to Brussels and then the Belgian trains and if we lived closer to London and didn't have the added journey from Scotland we'd use Eurostar more often as it's a much nicer experience than flying.:)
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby avidcruiser » 17 Jul 2012 17:45

I would travel Eurostar.

The flying time might be shortish BUT add on what always happens at airports and it probably works out about the same PLUS you get to see some of the countryside, albeit at speed!
All my posts and photos are COPYRIGHTED!!

"I have a little shadow that goes in and out with me!"
KEEP CALM AND CRUISE ON

avidcruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Wales

Postby Meg50 » 17 Jul 2012 19:23

we can get a direct train to both Gatwick and St Pancreas (sp intentional) International.

Even OH isn't arguing about using Eurostar!

PS Thank you for making my link clickable, I forgot!
Meg
Meg50
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Meg50 » 07 May 2013 14:50

this is now going to be turned into my blog. I hadn't intended to write it until my return...

We're doing Eurostar to Paris, then TGV to Lyon; amd Lyon - Lille and Eurostar on the way back.
staying overnight in a Lyon hotel prior to sailing.

This morning I received this email:
morning
LUFTNER and all other companies have a problem on the Rhone and Saone with high water which may cause changes to the sailing schedule for the sailing on Thursday

They have offered
-a total refund of the cruise price if you wish to cancel
or
- free transfers from Lyons to the ship further North in Macon ,free excursions and to sail as far as possible South as soon as the water level drops,

I am in Germany on the Rhine – also high water but can take call on my mobile .... if you want to discuss

Luftner will not refund travel costs and will do everything possible to offer a full programme – as always all the meals are included so the ship remains a great Hotel

If you decide to travel, I need TRAIN DETAILS – time of arrival and which LYON Station to arrange to pick you and transfer to the ship

We contacted the agent (Gorivercruise) to discuss and were hoping that we could be picked up at our hotel, but he's come back to say
good to have spoken

Luftner cannot do Hotel pick up – they will have coaches at the docking location ready to go by 4.00pm so I guess you have a good time for a fabulous Lunch in Lyons and then walk down from the Hotel if near enough to the docking location or a local taxi

I will send a map under separate cover

Not the end of the world. Just hope the hotel don't mind us camping there for a bit. Ready to go by 4 - praps means they'll go earlier if full.

Anyways we are pretty much packed now. Off at 9.30 tomorrow
Meg
Meg50
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby JollyJill » 07 May 2013 15:13

Oh Meg, not a brilliant start eh? I do hope that plan B goes well and that you still have a great time.
I will look forward to reading your blog. :)

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Meg50 » 07 May 2013 15:23

thanks, we'll do our best! and as the TA says - we still have a floating hotel
Meg
Meg50
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Rhone cruise

Postby grannyM » 07 May 2013 17:25

It is a disappointing start Meg, but I'm sure you'll make the most of it. Hope it all turns out better than expected but at least you have advance notice of the problems. :roll:
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Next