Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - The Joys of Walking!

The Joys of Walking!

The Joys of Walking!

Postby Dave » 08 Feb 2019 09:59

judgegeoff wrote:I have been looking for a good pair of winter trousers and, having seen your comments about your new Craghopper trousers I visited their website and found that they had a sale on. I managed to get a pair of Kiwi winter lined trousers reduced from £60 to £24 and also a bargain winter shirt and a summer shirt jacket. Chris was so impressed with the quality that she ordered a jacket and a striped top and is very pleased with the fit and quality - every item guaranteed for life (although our life or the items life - it wasn't very clear!). So many thanks Dave.

:o You're saying you only paid £24?!! That's like being on a cruise and announcing that you only paid half as much as everyone else! :lol:
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

The Joys of Walking!

Postby Gillzajoker » 08 Feb 2019 11:49

What a beauty! Hope she enjoys walking as much as you, in due course! :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

The Joys of Walking!

Postby grannyM » 08 Feb 2019 12:20

Dave wrote:My new granddaughter is just over two months old and I was delighted (and a bit surprised) when my daughter suggested we do a walk - to get back into our occasional outings together, and to test out the baby-carrier. 8-)

Neve looking ready to set off...

A rather chilly pair posing for a photo in an orchard...

And a selfie of sorts...

This was a short walk of a little over four miles but with a fair degree of ascent. We parked at the high point of Dawes Road (my favourite road in our area) and did a loop that featured quiet lanes, farmland and woods.

For anyone wanting a short walk with fantastic scenery, this one is perfect!
Dawes Road.gpx

Neve is absolutely beautiful. Nice for you to have such lovely company. :D
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

The Joys of Walking!

Postby Dave » 11 Feb 2019 16:28

I had an unexpectedly excellent winter's walk today! :D

I needed to visit my favourite fish shop (Maidenhead Aquatics) in Ramsgate and I was browsing the map for inspiration for a walk while I was in the area when I spotted St Augustine's Cross a few miles to the west. I'd actually been along the road where it stands but I think I must have mistaken it for a war memorial, because I didn't pay it much attention. :oops: Anyway, I decided to do a pilgrimage to the cross by walking to the northern tip of Cliffsend along the road I drive into Ramsgate along, then through Cliffsend village, on to Pegwell Bay, and back to the fish shop along the England Coast Path...

I've marked the mouth of the River Stour because that's the river which runs through Canterbury and the stone used for the cathedral was taken up the river.

St Augustine's Cross is most impressive (and looks nothing like a war memorial!).

At the base there's a plaque written in Latin and another with the English translation...
After many dangers and difficulties by land and sea Augustine landed at last on the shores of Richborough in the Isle of Thanet. On this spot he met King Æthelberht, and preached his first sermon to our own countrymen. Thus he happily planted the Christian faith, which spread with marvellous speed throughout the whole of England. That the memory of these events may be preserved among the English G G L-G Earl Granville, Lord Warden of the Cinque Ports has erected this monument, AD 1884.

Basically then, this spot (or hereabouts) is where Christianity was born in Britain. :angel:

Pegwell Bay is popular with visitors from Europe - Hugin, a replica of a Viking longship, commemorates where Hengist and Horsa are thought to have landed about 1500 years ago.

Pegwell Bay is a nature reserve. The tide was out so I went down to the beach for a stroll and to admire Ramsgate's chalk cliffs:

The beach here is fascinating - it's chalk that's covered in barnacles and mussels...

Arriving in Ramsgate's delightful harbour area I passed 'The Ramsgate Home for Smack Boys'...

Then I bought six Green Tiger Barbs for my aquarium and hurried home! :D
Dave

Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

The Joys of Walking!

Postby judgegeoff » 11 Feb 2019 18:54

It looked like a most interesting walk Dave, thank you for sharing it with us. I was particularly interested in the 'Ramsgate Home for Smack Boys' where boys as young as 10 (and many coming from the Minster workhouse) were lodged whilst working on the fishing smacks in the harbour. :thumbup:
Geoff

Booked cruise :- "MSC Orchestra" - Cape Town to Venice 2020
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: The Joys of Walking!

Postby rdw123 » 12 Feb 2019 09:02

An interesting walk Dave and thanks for the brief history lesson. I knew none of this, my only memory of Pegwell Bay is catching the hovercraft over to France. Happy walking.
rdw123
Commander
Commander

Re: The Joys of Walking!

Postby Borneo » 12 Feb 2019 11:57

Lovely read , thank you.
Borneo
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

The Joys of Walking!

Postby Gillzajoker » 12 Feb 2019 15:12

Very interesting, Dave! And thanks to JudgeGeoff for the info. on the Home.
I did wonder if it was rehab for young heroin addicts! :lol:
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

The Joys of Walking!

Postby Dave » 14 Feb 2019 17:55

What an amazing day for mid-February!

From a bright but frosty start, the temperature climbed to somewhere in the low teens and for the first time in a long time I spent most of my walk wearing what I would usually wear in summer. The downside was having to carry lots of unneeded clothing in my backpack (overtrousers, overjacket, soft shell top, gilet, gloves and two hats!).

I set off with just a rough idea of where I was going - I thought I'd probably do about 16 miles, but with the weather being so cooperative I ended up doing exactly 20 miles. Actually, my watch showed 19.99 miles when I got home so I walked round the garden until it gave the required distance. :D I was really pleased to have done what I think is my fastest 20-miler so far: the average speed for the whole walk was a satisfyingly brisk 4.1mph and that was with a heavier-than-usual rucksack, a mostly off-road route, and a total ascent of 938ft. :angel:

Hardly any of the route was new to me so I only took a couple of photos...

'No Man's Orchard' on the North Downs Way between Harbledown and Chartham Hatch:

Sheep on the Stour Valley Walk by the Great Stour river between Chartham and Canterbury:

Dave

Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

The Joys of Walking!

Postby Gillzajoker » 15 Feb 2019 10:51

Well done! :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag: