Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - The Joys of Walking!

The Joys of Walking!

The Joys of Walking!

Postby Dave » 22 May 2020 13:48

We were supposed to be starting a holiday in the Peak District today, but we've postponed it for a year. And that explains why my wife (who is working from home at the moment) was on holiday today and why we were able to go for a walk together this morning. :)

We wanted to go somewhere flat, where we could see anyone coming a long way off, and only a short drive away. So we went to Chislet Marshes, which is where the sea channel between mainland Kent and the Isle of Thanet once was. The area is at sea level and is criss-crossed by a great many drainage channels and waterways - and it's only a 20 minute drive away.

The first half of our walk was across the marshes to the Wantsum Channel - a river-sized channel that's now all that separates Thanet from the mainland - then along narrow lanes through Chitty, Chislet and Marshside.

For a fairly short walk, there were a lot of footbridges! :)

Not surprisingly, there's a lot of wildlife in and around the waterways. We passed a pair of swans with a cygnet, and a channel called North Stream was positively teeming with large carp. More surprising was spotting a pair of Rhea in a small field at Marshside:

There are several paths across the marshes with names like Snake Drove and Gilling Drove. The paths are raised and I wonder if these were routes once taken by drovers taking livestock from the Canterbury area to ports in Thanet.

A fantastic area for walking in the present situation!
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: The Joys of Walking!

Postby rdw123 » 23 May 2020 07:43

Lovely photos Dave. Didn’t know that area existed. Do you think the Rhea were escapees from somewhere originally?
rdw123
Commander
Commander

Re: The Joys of Walking!

Postby Dave » 23 May 2020 08:06

rdw123 wrote:Lovely photos Dave. Didn’t know that area existed. Do you think the Rhea were escapees from somewhere originally?

Thanks Ruth. :)

I've no idea what their story is, but I can't remember seeing Rhea before - anywhere. I've seen lots of emus though. ;)
Dave

Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

The Joys of Walking!

Postby Gillzajoker » 23 May 2020 09:47

Enjoyed all those photos today, Dave - quite a variety! :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

The Joys of Walking!

Postby Dave » 24 May 2020 13:43

We're still venturing out on local walks while trying to avoid other people as much as possible, and today we did a circuit of my favourite local countryside - mostly on country lanes, with a little off-road walking where the track was wide enough. :)

I wouldn't normally post about a local walk, but I managed to include a short section of footpath that I'd not walked before. Basically, I've long wondered about the big house in the distance that I could see from 'my favourite road'. (Centre of photo, a long way off!)

It turned out to be Nash Court and a footpath crosses the field in front of it. So we paid a visit...

This is quite a well-off area. Not far from Nash Court is this little property - complete with three supercars. The third one along doesn't show up very well, but it's my favourite - a bright green Lamborghini that I sometimes see out and about:

Just along the road is another nice place - Mount Ephraim. The gardens are normally open to the public, but not today of course. However, a public footpath runs straight through the grounds so we made use of it. A few of Mount Ephraim's magnificent oaks:

More of the gardens - from the footpath:

Next to Mount Ephraim is the lovely village of Hernhill, with ancient pub, church, lovely old houses... and the obligatory stocks:

My first photo above was taken from Dawes Road and this is another from nearby - I call it Green Photo with Pheasant:

A llama, with Blean Woods behind:

On our way home, we passed through the normally quiet village of Rough Common. Today it was absolutely full of cars - we've never seen anything like it. As we passed by the entrance to the woods, where there's a car park, we noticed the track was blocked and the car park was closed. We wondered... how is closing the 'out of village' car park a good idea, when it should be obvious to anyone that people would simply park on the roads in the village instead?
Dave

Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Previous