Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - The Joys of Walking!

The Joys of Walking!

Re: The Joys of Walking!

Postby Camela » 28 Jun 2020 12:42

You obviously know the hat's history with an elephant?!!
"Won't you let me take you on a sea cruise"
Camela
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
England

Postby Dave » 28 Jun 2020 13:14

Camela wrote:You obviously know the hat's history with an elephant?!!

I do indeed. I think I first heard it from the salesperson in Go Outdoors as I was buying mine. :D
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

The Joys of Walking!

Postby Dave » 28 Jun 2020 13:37

This weekend's walk with my wife was a woods and farmland stroll straight from home. We're extremely fortunate in having a swathe of woodland (the Blean) covering much of the area between us and Canterbury to the south, so we can cross some farmland to get to the woods, do some woods walking, then return across more farmland. :)

The farm track that leads to the woods...

There are still lots of orchids around, but most have been straggly this year. These two are in good shape though:

A lovely farmland footpath that I've only used once before. The first photo shows my wife sanitising after touching the gate. :angel:

A very freshly mown field (mowing was in progress!) and some friendly, inquisitive cattle:

Some of the different woods we went through. We passed through Clowes Wood, Victory Wood, Tong Wood, Ellenden Wood and Coombe Wood.

A thoroughly enjoyable 11 miles and home in plenty of time before lunch! :)
Dave

Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Camela » 28 Jun 2020 19:49

Our daily walks since 23 March have shown all the wonderful fauna and flora that we have missed. Even when out with our dog, who we lost 2 years ago, we didn't observe what we were passing. I've been reminiscing about the Brooke Bond Wildflower cards that we collected in the 60s along with fish, animals, trees and others!!
Camela
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
England

Postby Gillzajoker » 29 Jun 2020 10:05

I don't, and I'm intrigued. Please elucidate. Or shall I hazard a guess? An elephant
ate someone's hat and in due course excreted it. The owner washed it and it was as
good as new???? :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

The Joys of Walking!

Postby Gillzajoker » 29 Jun 2020 10:08

I enjoyed all those lovely photos, of a great area, thanks, Dave. And well done to Fred, I'm
sure I wouldn't have thought about sanitising my hands in that situation :oops:
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby Camela » 29 Jun 2020 12:51

Gillzajoker wrote:

I don't, and I'm intrigued. Please elucidate. Or shall I hazard a guess? An elephant
ate someone's hat and in due course excreted it. The owner washed it and it was as
good as new???? :D

.... is the right answer Gill!
Camela
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
England

The Joys of Walking!

Postby Gillzajoker » 30 Jun 2020 09:38

Oh goody, do I get a prize! :lol:
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

The Joys of Walking!

Postby Dave » 05 Jul 2020 14:22

Something a little different today...

I became interested in the possibility of trail running about three weeks ago and today I did my first outdoor run.

I've been doing short training sessions on our treadmill every other day. I did a couple of sessions this morning and then my wife and I went for a walk/run in our local woods. It was 6.4 miles and I ran for about half of the time, which was a lot more than I thought I'd do!

We took a few photos...

My wife about to tackle Clowes Clamber - the steep main track into Clowes Wood:

The very first ever photos of me running! At the top of the hill, we left the main track and took paths for most of the way - this is what it's all about, wonderful!

An overgrown section with brambles. My wife was wearing leggings and was okay; I wore shorts and got my legs scratched:

We decided to head back across farmland - through barley and then peas. As we reached the crest of the hill, we spotted cattle in the field below (which is very unusual). We went back through the peas and barley and...

...went back on a path through the woods instead...

I absolutely loved my first taste of trail running - especially on twisty, bumpy, root-covered narrow paths.
Dave

Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Previous